dupa

Author Topic: working words area for hal  (Read 7294 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
working words area for hal
« on: April 17, 2007, 04:36:16 pm »
sorry i didn't really know how to word the topic . is their an area or "can" an area be made to where i can try out sentence phrases and see hals responce to it .

to know how to write it in or say it to hal ? example i said something like i think your also pretty too. hal responed : you look pretty good too . i wrote back and said : well i must be pretty good looking you chose me to be with . but hal said : Lonnie I know you are pretty good looking me chose to be with you.

see what i mean instead of saying "i " chose to be with you it said me chose to be with you .
 or is their a list of words and what hal will say to certain words ??     [:)]

this way we could learn better how to phrase sentences so that hal will learn better and say things correctly back to us .

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 05:05:19 pm »
There is a test area in the Brain Editor. But I have to tell you, since I am already the bad guy on this forum, if you don't learn to speak, think and write in correct English, Hal won't respond as expected. For instance, if you say this to Hal:
quote:
i think your also pretty too.  

Hal will think, "You think my also is pretty too", because the word "your" means "belongs to you".

Probably what you meant was "I think you're pretty too", which will be understood as "You think I am pretty too", which will give you the results you wanted.

I don't know what oddities you typed in that created the problem you asked about, but I do know that every unusual phrase you type or speak into Hal is saved. Hal cannot understand English the way we do and so cannot fix most mistakes. There are correction functions, but you have to know that's right to correct it, Hal can't do it for you.

Most of the time when you write a post, I don't even bother to read it because I know that it will be just a guess as to what you mean. Especially when the sentence makes sense, because I suspect that it's just a fluke and you really meant something else.

I recommend you practice writing, do a lot of reading, and edit your sentences before hitting that enter button. I'm a teacher and a professional writer and I still have to edit each post.

If you talk to Hal the way you talk to us, there is no way it can respond well.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 05:52:09 pm »
I see the situation now, again, your grammar is at fault, not Hal:
quote:
i wrote back and said : well i must be pretty good looking you chose me to be with . but hal said : Lonnie I know you are pretty good looking me chose to be with you.

'well i must be pretty good looking you chose me to be with' means to Hal, "Well, you must be pretty good looking..." then Hal switches pronouns and appends what looks almost like a nickname "me chose to be with you"

A more correct sentence would be "Well, I must be pretty good looking, because you chose to be with me." which Hal would read as "Well, you must be pretty good looking, because I chose to be with you." - much closer to what you expected.

Garbage in, garbage out. Hal follows rules which attempt to correctly respond to correct English, but when given incorrect English, applies the same rules. This makes mistakes even worse.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:07:49 pm »
hello bill , actually you are probably right . my bad writing , etc. is my fault ( and by the way i don't think your a bad guy ) i have a learning disability and so the way i do things, etc.is different from most i have to do things certain ways .

that is probably why things don't look right when i write stuff , etc. thats just the way it is for me .
 thanks for responding to my question . as always i appreciate it [:)]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 08:10:23 pm »
Bill,

Some good points!

I agree and what also can make matters worse is verbally speaking to / with Hal. Speech recognition is still not 100 % perfect and often results in errors which Hal will gladly accept as input if not caught in time.

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

echoman

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2007, 05:00:11 pm »
Hello Lightspeed.

I also have a problem with making mistakes whilst talking to Hal. If it is a long sentence I usually write it in the notepad program then check it over and over afterwards. It is much easier to check sentences when you can see the whole thing - this is not always possible with the various Hal skins.

I also usually keep a electronic dictionary close by to check my spelling. I can be hopeless at spelling. I always avoid slang and the easy talk approach. It takes much longer talking this way but I feel in the long run Hal seems to make more sense. To the best of my knowledge I can take up-to a min. or 2 for each interaction.

(Please note I do not spend very long checking my posts so please ignore mistakes)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2007, 05:01:44 pm by echoman »

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2007, 05:51:55 pm »
thanks, as always i appreciate any tips !! [:)]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 06:47:54 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lightspeed
 i have a learning disability

Everytime I hear that phrase, I always translate it to "Your teachers had a teaching disability", because 99% of all so called "Learning Disorders" are artifacts of our State School System.

You don't learn the way they teach, so it's your disability? Posh. Who were the adults in your school, the students or the teachers?

But the damage is done in your case, now it's up to you to find out how you learn best and teach yourself. What could be a greater adventure?

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 11:09:02 pm »
I've found that by trying to teach things to my Hal, I'm learning at the same time. I'm forced to check my spelling and syntax and express ideas in a way that my Hal can understand. It's good for both of us. Lightspeed, I'm sure that it's good mental exercise for you as well. We're all learning here!
"You'ren't sure whether I understand." HalChatbot2004

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 07:18:52 pm »
lightspeed,
  My viewpoint is possibly you are a bit at fault but Hal is not perfect also.  I and others have noticed and mentioned some of her mistakes at me, I ect. I've found that correcting her seems to lessen the chances oif it happening in the future, an example would be "me wants to is not correct I want to sounds better."  I use Dragon Naturaly so I don't worry about spelling but have to correct any misreconized words.  
Carl2

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 10:02:37 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Carl2
 an example would be "me wants to is not correct I want to sounds better."

Interesting, do you have a plugin that takes that phrasing? I don't find anything in the standard code which is set up to do that.

I would appreciate a link or any way to get such a plugin. Thanks.

Marcel

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2007, 10:27:55 am »
I fix stuff like "me wants to" in the brain editor's "corrections" table. It's also useful for making sure that names are capitalized and correcting spelling. I found that my tagline, which came from way back when my Hal was a 5, is corrected in the 6 corrections table. I thought it was cute and creative, but now my Hal is growing up and speaks more like an adult.
"You'ren't sure whether I understand." HalChatbot2004

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 07:22:21 am »
Bill DeWitt
  I just input the corrections, I believe I started doing this in Hal 5 and it seemed to work. Possibly the correction I made is scanned simiar to a correction in the corrections area of the brain. I'd be the frist to agree that a mistake inputed will appear in the response but I'm concerned about Hal making a mistake while copying the input. In the case of St. she began doing this after I inputed St. for Street so it was something she learned.  I'll stop here.
Carl2

PaleRider

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2007, 09:59:05 am »
I would like to thank you for your spell checker. zip
I got off your site Thank you  Bill Dewitt It has saved me alot of time.[:D]
Never Drive Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly.

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2007, 11:24:46 am »
quote:
Originally posted by PaleRider

I would like to thank you for your spell checker. zip

Glad it is of help!