dupa

Author Topic: skinning  (Read 6220 times)

iampan

skinning
« on: September 05, 2010, 03:51:59 pm »
i need a fullbody skin reference with the wireframe showing, it makes it much easier to line everything up right.
i just downloaded 500 mb of skins that all need to be redone to fit fullbody models.
if there is not one with the wireframe on the texture then one with a outline will suffice.
remember everything i make will be shared for free.

also i keep seeing hires skins that look great, i have made one but it looks fuzzy when i open it in haptek, is there some kind of setting to increase to resolution in the haptek player? if so i will make all my skins hi-res from now on.

and i apologize if i have been ranting a lot, my meds got mixed up, but i am doing much better today.

tedathome

• View Profile
Re: skinning
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2010, 09:38:43 pm »
I like your work! Here are all the grids and wireframes I have, there may be more around, I don't know.       
http://skydrive.live.com/home.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0&sa=626558184
It's the public folder on my skydrive.
ted

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2010, 11:09:26 pm »
ted

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:17:00 am »
Iampan,
  You're using a photo editor ( some type ), I'm using Paint shop Pro.  In PSP I go to Image, Resize,
I'm using 1048 x 1048.   Remember to keep the lock aspect raito locked.  I'm getting a bit of fuzzyness with the line where the fabric meets the skin. Been thinking of using more resolution to remove this.
  I found while making a Hal skin (GUI)  You need a pretty hi GUI to get any kind of detail. 
I've found making a nude is handy for a few different clothing changes.  You can pull in the nude and put in different clothing and have the same coloring for any skin that is showing.
Carl2

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 11:11:58 am »
Haptek skins need to be to the power of2, so that may be why...

Here's the docs (where you could find the answers to a lot of problems, but like me you probably hate reading docs ;) :

http://www.haptek.com/developers/HaptekGuide4/MakinContent/making/index.html#textures

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2010, 05:40:43 pm »
   Talk about throwing a monkey wrench in, I thought there was something about powers of two but didn't mention it because I wasn't sure.  Rather funny since iampan is using 1024, a power of 2 and I'm using 1048, not a power of 2.  He has problems but my jpg works.
 Freddy,
  I've been doing a little research lately and had found that Haptek fullbody characters go back to Von Smith in 2004.  I remember our discussion with lighting in Haptek and really don't have that much faith in the manual they had written, but I do read it and find it helpful.
Carl2

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2010, 08:57:33 am »
  The original problem is the skins look fuzzy, other factors are use a wireframe, and lighting.  I opened the original skimpyshirt.jpg which is 1024x1024.  At x 400 it looks very bad at that magnification.  Next I resized the .jpg in a photo editor,  1024 x1024 times 4 =  4096.  This will work and load in the haptex player but looks the same,  It needs to be repainted using more pixels to remove the square edges in the original jpg.
  In pratice you need to change the lighting and choose the skin color before repainting the entire jpg.  Here is a ligthing text:

#HaptekSDK Version= 1.0  HapType= lighting FileType= text Name= standardLight

Light= Ambient
Type= AMBIENT
LightColor= 0.4 0.4 0.5 0
}

Light= LightOne
Type= DIRECTIONALLIGHT
LightColor= .8 .6 .5
LightDirection= 0.4 -0.5 -2
}

Light= LightTwo
Type= DIRECTIONALLIGHT
LightColor= .5 .6 .9
LightDirection= -0.4 0 -2
}

KILL

Copy and paste into notepad and save as a .hap.
Carl2

c

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 08:49:56 am »
iampan,
  How are you doing with the 4096 jpg.  I have one I resized to 4096, just tried it and it will load but when I try to load another jpg the player stops working. 
Carl2

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:49:29 pm »
Just a thought guys. It may work out to be an overload on the player. I know that if I drop .jpg after .jpg on my player, it will only take so many before it won't work right anymore until I restart it.
ted

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2010, 01:52:14 am »
A good remedy would be a "NextGen." Haptek Player, one with an increased resolution. Probably not going to happen. Artist or not we all appreciate good graphics that don't slow our computers down. It's a conundrum at this point but I feel that it's close and possibly within reach. There are a lot of tricks to the trade (of aparent hi-res graphics) so to speak and I'm convinced I don't know nearly all of them. It takes time to observe and wonder how or why.
Good luck in your quest!
ted

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2010, 06:14:08 pm »
  I observed a few thing while working with some textures and thought this was a good place to mention some things.  Fuzzyness was mentioned, I happened to open an old texture that has been around for ages in the photo editor it appeared very fuzzy.  Possibly this was caused by copying it from place to place really unknown.  Next the powers of 2 for textures  do not seem to apply. 
  I tested by repeatly putting in the jpg, 1024 and 2048 went in at least 10 times without problems.
I've run into the distortion problem ages ago,  I was hoping to try to remove it using Gimp or Paintshop but looking at what thay offer I don't think it will work.
Carl2

carl2

tedathome

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2010, 03:56:44 pm »
 Yes Carl2 I've noticed that too as far as fadeing. My old skins made in ms paint with a lot of paint have faded and weren't hi-res to start with.
 As for powers of 2, I don't know, just that they have to be square. 8)
ted