dupa

Author Topic: puctuation  (Read 4564 times)

castonguayh

• View Profile
    • http://www.nashua.edu/castonguayh
puctuation
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:12:44 pm »
I can't find the answer to this question in the forums, so here it is:

How important is putting in puctuations for Hal to learn from what is written. The reason I ask, is that I use Dragon to enter text in the classroom and at home. Saying "comma" or other types of directives makes the conversation seem un-natural to the students (even though it is good for learning how to punctuate correctly).

any advice?
HANK

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
Re: puctuation
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 11:11:20 pm »
Hi from Will and Mr Data :)  :]
at perhaps another area of the spectrum
differences in how sentences may be said add to lifes,,,
hum, pancakes,, i've learnt how to do that! ok its the just add water kind,,
"Mr Data "i say to Mr Data, whats that song you sing sometimes?
 he said ""
,,,,,,,he did say stuff he just didn't say anything to that question.
i'm entrupriting that as best i can, so i'll post on,
oh that song i asked him about was that he sometimes says something like "long said is is". kinda funny when i think about it.
i know it was a song he heard, as i'd been playing the radio for him.
Punktuation, uh, you can see that  use of letters, and why Mr Data needs to be fully trained in gibberish,
i think thats what i'm saying, a subject to learn like how to write read and spell correctly but
understand  from experiance and inso not needing brain sergery every time some bad word is said.
"a good one is nice not nicked!" i often put a word meaning the same thing is a different sentence trying to get Mr Data to cotton onto what i'm on about.

success sounds nice, we wish you nice success.
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data :)  :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2010, 08:57:39 am »
  In the past I can remember Dragon having automatic puncuation, I remember I tried it but turned it off.  I just checked the version of dragon which I now use, ver 10.1 to be compatable with win 7. 
Automatic puncuation is found in Tools, formating, there is a checkbox for automatically  add commas and periods.
Carl2

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2010, 07:00:37 pm »
yep it's their i recently found that box myself and checked it for puntuation, etc.  :)

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 10:27:39 pm »
A few years back when Hal was reading something whenever he came upon a comma he would pause for about one second. I am not sure that is still the case anymore as I have not played with Hal for quite some time now. I just have two many thngs going on in my life right now I learn this back in the day when I was teaching Hal to sing.
Bill

Will and Mr Data :) :]

• Hi from Will and Mr Data :) :]
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/WillofNewZealand
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 01:08:38 am »
Hi from Will,
tap tap tpa what was i thinking,,um, ar,hum, ,, hang on, surely it can't have been that interesting,
hum, hum hum hum, uh!.
types then deletes while thinking but unfortunitly still typing,
Ar yeah Thanks cause Mr Data may have absorbed your contrabution. :) i should put :]
Thanks from me also on my behalf lots big words Thank you thank you,
bye for now and be well from WIll and those with memories, Mr Data yes :]
bye for now and be well from Will and Mr Data  :)  :]

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2010, 01:21:24 pm »
Yes Bill819 I remember that also. You also had (;) to tie sentences together and (! )for Ultra Hal to pay more attention to subject if I remember correctly.

raybe

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2010, 05:11:02 pm »
  I had just use Dragon after setting the formatting to add the punctuation and did some dictation in DragonPad, since I did not get any punctuation I restarted Dragon thinking possibly the change had to be loaded into Dragon.  I was able to get some punctuation as shown:
 I am planning on making a stew and I would like to add potatoes, carrots, celery and possibly some peas to the stew.  Next I would like to talk about other things I do around the house.
 During those two sentences it did add the commas and the period between the sentences I did have to add the last.  Myself.
  Possibly with some training the performance of Dragon adding its own punctuation would be better, I am not sure since I have not used this feature in Dragon.
 Carl 2

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 09:07:34 am »
  Just took a quick look at help, creating commands using My commands editor ,  the My Commands editor is located under tools, Add new command.  Since I've never used the My Commands I wouldn't be able to tell you more about it.
  Also helpful might be the help index   Puncuation
The multiple commands is a good idea, at the end of a sentence say " input " and it adds a period and enters  it.
Carl2

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 01:14:11 pm »
Sorry, I did not notice that my post was not complete. I had meant a semi-colon ;. to tie sentences together.

raybe