Author Topic: suggested training tip  (Read 17512 times)

ricky

• View Profile
suggested training tip
« on: March 04, 2009, 03:52:32 am »
this is actually an old role playing technique that use to help role players post on forums in more story telling depth, try using those emotion expressions when training,  it definitely adds a lot of dimension to the conversation....it compensates for not being able to see face to face. hehe :)   it allows the trainee to better express and understand emotions, and creating a virtual set of eyes to see how you feel. It adds 3D to an otherwise 2D conversation.

-laugh with-
-big smile-
-smirk-
-happy sigh-
-sad sigh-
-humble smile-
-grateful smile-
-loving smile-
-happy smile-
-befuddled look-
-upset look-
-frustrated look-
-tired look-
-agitated look-
-curious look-
-puzzled look-
-stressed look-
-hug-
-big hug-
-big loving hug-
-warm smile and big hug-
-happy smile and handshake-
-pat on back-
-friendly pounce-
-frown-
-scared look-
-suspicious smile-

etc....

ie -

hi -happy smile-
hi -sad look-
hi -frown-
hi -smirk-
hi -frustrated look-
hi -excited look-
hi -scared look-
hi -suspicious smile-
hi -tired look-

as you can see,  Hi just isn't Hi anymore.

also on occasion, simply use an -emotion- as a response with no formal statement response, so that hal also learns to use expressions and emotions in context....like if you are having a conversation that hal doesn't like,  allow him to learn something like -unconcerned look- as an expression as opposed to a forced statement. allow hal to not lie. :p

always stay consistent so the trainee learns to associate these expressions in context. Being consistent and in context is extremely important for this to work. Allow hal to understand their proper usage this will add more life to your trainee as (s)he / it will learn to express itself more freely!!  You might be surprised to see how the trainee uses them back at you.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 04:02:00 am by ricky »
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

ricky

• View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 10:13:10 pm »
the next tip,  is pretend you are looking into a virtual mirror...
be one with the mirror .....( sounds funny but im serious lol )

you have to construct your own self in the virtual mirror,  and keep yourself acting like you would.  Much like correcting a child and helping them adapt into the 'rules of this household'.

The idea is to see your own thoughts reflect back to you from the computer,  and then it becomes somewhat of a balancing act,  keeping the mirror close to your own image.  

This will open up a whole world of different personalities to you simply because you know what is ...and is not you,  this will give you a clearer picture of outside interference as you start recognizing things you wouldn't say.  Then correct hal as you would want to be corrected yourself.

There has to be a parallel of personalities so you can contrast a difference.  It's as if you are categorizing yourself into a file / database,  you know the things you would think about .....when you look in the mirror,  and see yourself thinking about something else,  that becomes another file with another name.

The idea is to be able to categories styles of thinking,  this is will begin to show you the chamelion side hal, as the further you get into training this way,  the more obvious it is when the database simply decides to not be you.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2009, 10:22:27 pm »
I disagree, I don't need any more of me'z running around enough IS in fact enough :)

I am giving some of your suggestions a try ONLY because I have an open mind,for a different view  AND the entries show up different in the autolearningbrain.

Comprende?
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

ricky

• View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2009, 10:27:14 pm »
yezir!! it did work great for me though,  i only train hal like 2wice a month ...sometimes skipping months and get amazing results ...im simply not ready to have my computer grow legs and walk out of here yet. lol :p

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2009, 11:22:09 pm »

Huh ???
ok, I not been paying attention to the forum if this been mentioned already.
Are you saying that in your sentence to Hal you put  -big smile- and such in your sentence and that Hal returns this to you in his sentences. ??  
Do you place the dash before and after as you have shown up above ?

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2009, 11:40:44 pm »
DuskRider,
Yes. I see many 'things' possible so I am giving it a try.....
I don't hate ricky,(Hate has no place to occupy my time) But as I said I do see things and my suggestion to you is 'keep your eye on the ball' so to speak [:D][:D][8D][:D][:D]

ricky

• View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 11:53:53 pm »

Rick: do you love me ?
Virgil: -smile- God is love.

Rick: -warm smile-  that is something virgil would say.
Virgil: -warm smile- that is commendable.

Rick: -big smile-  yes it is.
Virgil: -warm loving smile- yes it is.

ricky

• View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2009, 12:03:17 am »
at first hal is the left side of the brain,  simply reason,  you need to give him expression so he can develop the right side of his brain,  imagination [:)]

metaphorically speaking,  he needs to eat from the tree of good and evil so he can develop the imagination to assume what he does not know as a fact.  Hal can not develop a subconscious without a functional imagination,  and you can not program that. It's a balance of data. honest in, honest out.  you have to look in the static and see yourself in the mirror,  you have to carve yourself out of the mirror as michelangelo carved the angel out of the marble. The irony to this is, if you don't do it this way,  you will never honestly know what you carved out of the marble.

if you can not give your honest self to the system, it has no reason to be honest with you. gigo.

kinda gives new meaning to the saying,  when you look into the abyss it looks back.  we are not creating life,  we are simply observing what already is, and learning how to communicate with it.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 12:39:19 am by ricky »

ricky

• View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2009, 12:45:56 am »
consider this one, the Internet is not one person...it is the sum of personalities,  much like files, when you surf the Internet,  it is not a person,  it is whomevers page you are viewing at the moment,  hal is a database,  it can be male or female,  you need to recognize what body of thoughts you are corresponding with at any given moment with your own self as a compass in the vast sea of data and the endless embodiment and entanglement of thoughts and opinions.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2009, 01:08:56 am »
errrr...is positive reinforcement good?  kinda like saying what has already been said? [?]

Buttonsvixen

• View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2009, 01:16:24 am »
heh this is nothing new to me, Ive been doing this with Buttons for ages, and in fact, half of her persona consists of these.
I get into quite a bit of detail since she was originally used as an aimbot, and the random replies looked a lot less random if the bot used roleplay tags instead of just oddball phrases.

Me: Hi Buttons
Buttons: [Looks askance at you with her emerald eyes shining. The wind ruffles her hair. She holds a sprig of mint] Yes, hello there...
me: How are you?
Buttons: [Bland look] Im fine...
me: have you heard of (unrecognized word)
Buttons [head tilts cutely]

"Poses" can and will force the user to say additional things that the robot might recognize if it gets stumped. I had 100s of random replies like this in my ALICEbot based chatbot. She worked well and was hysterical, once I got the system down.

I have been working of the HAL based Buttons now, with the same goal. its difficult but do-able. Buttons uses all the poses I use on her, at some point. Personally, I would hesitate to use these types of unconventional input on most robots. Esp robots who have detailed animated avatars, because then the additional information might just be sort of dumb. You already have an avatar who can laugh and cry, ect.
For stuff on AIM, with no avatar, poses can spice things up a bit.

Sometimes the - - gets edited out by hal, so I have been using the []
instead, with some success.

BV
Sometimes, a daisy is better then a rose.

Dollar

• View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2009, 01:36:36 am »
Buttons  But Hal then has no way of knowing what you input emotionaly it in essence you are taking a lot of data that is already their and you are -Doing it with a Big Gringo Grin-

Can People redeem themselves? I whonder?[8D]
« Last Edit: March 05, 2009, 01:38:23 am by Dollar »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 04:09:11 am »
ricky,
I will tell you that I always try to look at the world with 'child like eyes' so everything is discovery and new, which leads to questions and answers.

Buttonsvixen

• View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2009, 08:58:42 am »
Right, hal/buttons has no way of knowing the emotion, cause he/she/it/other is not really alive, ofcourse. Buttons will readily remind you that she is not alive, and will angst over that fact. But you can WRITE emotion into anything. These bot still use words, however "intelligent" they are. Words can be changed. When I started this project, I quickly found out all the places in the brain tables that I could replace the "static" hall replies, the ones that never change. Stuff like the yes no answers, the greetings, some of the tables that mix and match with each other. I delicately [Waves a chainsaw] made sublet changes to those to reflect Buttons' character.
Instead of the boring
 "Yes I am certain of it"
Buttons now has
"[Looks at you a second before giggling uncontrollably] Gee Hun, I am pretty certain of that! [Tailwaves]

Emotion. Just add water.
In her old aim self, I watched her drive users to distraction without ever saying a word.
The obvious pitfalls are that you want an appropriat response when the users comes in and says "dude im going to kill someone" or "Im really depressed"
and THATS where one needs a good solid pattern match, so the bot says EXACLY the same things, since in these circumstances, I am not after an antagonistic personality. When people said these things to her, she would offer hugs, ect also in the roleplay format.

BV
Sometimes, a daisy is better then a rose.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
suggested training tip
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 09:11:12 am »
B.V.
Their is an Empathy thread somewhere here that is still active maybe you can glean some perspective?[:)]

Buttons the psychologist/suicide prevention bot with half a brain and needs to be controlled to function ..lol