Author Topic: Some HAL Issues (they could be 'features' for all I know...)  (Read 3229 times)

E2001

• View Profile
Hi all,

I'm having a few issues y'all are probably bored of hearing by now...

First off, I can select whatever speech engine I want (which in this case is MS 8.0), but when I hit either settings or training nothing happens. Is it because these are exclusive to whichever engine you pick, or is it some conflict with my windows version? I've already trained the engine fairly well through the control panel, so it's not a huge deal, I was just wondering if there was a problem on my end.

Also, is there a reason why the skin never remembers its screen location? It always moves a little one way or the other every time I reopen it. I ask because the skin I made is meant to contain the character at the bottom right, so it's out of the way. Again, is that me or the program?

Lastly (and I know this is hal-related because it doesn't happen in other programs), why do my agent characters not make any sounds? I can't find a setting to turn them back on. In fact, I can find no agent settings of any kind. I've been through every file I could open in notepad, but couldn't find anything resembling "CharacterSounds=OFF". Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Traff

• View Profile
Re: Some HAL Issues (they could be 'features' for all I know...)
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2016, 05:18:39 pm »
Hi
Did you ever resolve this?
I have the same issue having just installed

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Some HAL Issues (they could be 'features' for all I know...)
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2016, 11:31:17 am »
MS Agent was basically no longer supported after XP. One can, however, continue to use them by downloading a program called Double Agent.
It is an Open Source program so no worries.
http://doubleagent.sourceforge.net/

By Skin, do you mean the Graphical User Interface that contains the Hal character / avatar along with the text input and output boxes?
If so, your character should show up in whatever area you've designated for it to be within the confines of your GUI. I'm not sure whether the GUI will appear in the same place each time it is opened. One can easily move it about as needed.

I think there is an issue with some of the Ivona voices and the lip sync of the hal character or perhaps not even moving at all. The others voices seem to work fine like AT&T, Cepstral, Cereproc, NextUp, etc. Acapela & Nuance have some really nice quality TTS voices but they are NOT open SAPI compatible voices which means they are only to be used with TextAloud and other NextUp.com products.  Acapela voices are $35 each and the Nuance voices are $45  some include some child voices and from many languages. Remember, they are nice but they do not work with standard SAPI products like Hal.

Hope some of this helps a bit!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 06:26:19 am by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -