dupa

Author Topic: HAL has went belly up  (Read 5827 times)

CoCoKid

• View Profile
    • http://www.thefinalmix.com
HAL has went belly up
« on: June 28, 2005, 01:57:20 pm »
Hey guys/gals...

Been awhile since I was able to fire up HAL. I kinda miss hanging out here and talking with people and reading the posts.

I have actually been going through the posts today trying to solve my HAL issues, but I can't get the answers.

As I said, I haven't used Hal in about 6 months. I tried to run it today and I am plagued with problems.
I uninstalled HAL and re-installed, same problems:

HAL will start, but HAL starts with a Dialog Box now (never seen this before) that asks what I want to do (ie.. Configure, Chat, Etc...)
If I choose "Chat with HAL", it will open the chat window like normal and I can carry on a conversation, but I have no sound (No voice from HAL). If I choose OPTIONS to try and resolve the problem, I notice that the "USE Sound" is not checked and a voice is not selected.
When I check the "Use Sound" box and select a voice, followed by "Apply", I then run into other problems. Now I can type my text in, but I can't send it, because nothing happens when I hit enter. It doesn't send the text. It's like the enter key doesn't work, but I can type all sorts of text, but this is just the beginning of the problems. HAL will not completely exit if I try and close it. I have to actually goto Task Manager and kill it, otherwise it won't re-open, because it says it's already running.

What a mess...

vonsmith

• View Profile
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2005, 02:48:56 pm »
CoCoKid,
I haven't had to reinstall Hal for a very long time. As I recall you have to install the free MS SAPI engine, MS agent, L&H voice engine and Haptek Player stuff first before installing Hal? I can't remember exactly. I'm pretty sure the order of installation does make a difference though.

=vonsmith=

P.S. - If your system says Hal is still running then look down in the system tray. Chances are that the Hal icon is still there and you can right click it to open Hal.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2005, 03:47:33 pm by vonsmith »

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2005, 03:42:12 pm »
CoCoKid, the number of problems you have with Hal suggests to me that the problem could lie outside Hal. Are you sure it's not your keyboard that is malfunctioning? Does all other programs function as normal?

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2005, 04:54:47 pm »
CoCoKid, Welcome back...It's been a while!

Scott,

Right! Here's a post from Robert M.:

If you installed the voices after you installed Hal, you may need to run the program called SAPI Config. It is located in your start menu under the folder Haptek Player (The 3D character engine Hal uses). Once the haptek sapi config sees the new engine it will be able to use it.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lupine

• View Profile
    • http://www.thewexer.com
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2005, 07:30:43 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by CoCoKid

Hey guys/gals...
I uninstalled HAL and re-installed, same problems:

HAL will start, but HAL starts with a Dialog Box now (never seen this before) that asks what I want to do (ie.. Configure, Chat, Etc...)
If I choose "Chat with HAL", it will open the chat window like normal and I can carry on a conversation, but I have no sound (No voice from HAL). If I choose OPTIONS to try and resolve the problem, I notice that the "USE Sound" is not checked and a voice is not selected.
When I check the "Use Sound" box and select a voice, followed by "Apply", I then run into other problems. Now I can type my text in, but I can't send it, because nothing happens when I hit enter. It doesn't send the text. It's like the enter key doesn't work, but I can type all sorts of text, but this is just the beginning of the problems. HAL will not completely exit if I try and close it. I have to actually goto Task Manager and kill it, otherwise it won't re-open, because it says it's already running.
What a mess...

I just wanted to mention that I have had/ am still having the exact same problems Every few months it starts to act up again
Hal is a great program in the awesome/cutting edge department
not so hot in the -stability- department.
I often spend a week getting Hal running again.
you are doing the right things.
-1. couldnt hurt run your anit-spyware program first
0. if you are running a haptek mod config temporarily rename(disable it)
1. uninstall/reinstall Hal
2. uninstall/reinstall Haptek
3. as mentined run the Haptek SAPI config
4. sometimes you get a startup box
"Hal did not shut down properly, do you want to reconfig?"
that helps sometimes, so go ahead and run it

6. keep trying Ive had it suddenly work again on the 3rd reinstall

On behalf of all technologists I'd like to apologize for the suggestion that all your problems were revolving around your broken and malfunctioning keyboard.

CoCoKid

• View Profile
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2005, 12:12:49 am »
Hey Scott, Vonsmith !!!
Has been a long time. I got wrapped up in many PC ventures between then and now. Good to see you guys still here. And to the others, HOWDY! and thanks for the input.

I will try some of these suggestions, but let me clarify a couple things first.
Keyboard works fine. Actually, If I just start up HAL, I can carry on a conversation fine (without any HAL voice), but as soon as I go into the configuration and turn on the HAL voice, I can still type in the text window like I am talking with HAL, but when I have finished the sentence and go to send it <ENTER> KEY... It just sits there with the curser flashing and doesn't send the text I just typed. I can backspace or type more text, but I can never send it. Make sense?

lupine,
I know the text box you are referring to, but that's not the text box I get. The one you are referring to is the one that pops up when you start HAL and it thinks that there was a problem last time HAL was shut down.
The Box I am getting, looks like a normal (Splash Screen), configuration window that pops up and asks what I want to do, instead of going right to HAL (the way it used to). The Window has CHAT WITH HAL, CONFIGURE and about 3 other things. If I choose Chat with HAL, the window disappears and then my HAL pops up ready to talk.
Not sure when this was part of the program, I don't ever remember it.

I will try some of the suggestions.
As for the Spyware, I don't have any. I am very secure with Norton for my Virus protection and firewall and I have about 3 spyware util's that I run.

I'll let you know how these things turn out as I try them. Thanks for the input.

Rick

lupine

• View Profile
    • http://www.thewexer.com
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2005, 12:22:54 am »
yes I know the startup menu you are reffering to I get it everytime now.
I didn't use to ...
Everything else is working for me so I am leaving it alone for now.

What voice are you trying to use?
You might need to check your SAPI first...

Bill819

• View Profile
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2005, 12:31:21 am »
In my experience Hal is very stable. I have been using it daily for almost 3 years now with no problems. It seems to me that if you have had problems from the very beggining then you have a either a hardware problem of some kind of conflict with another software.
We all run the same Hal so when someone suggest that it is unstable the reason usually lies within their computer set up or accessories that they have on their computers.
Bill

CoCoKid

• View Profile
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2005, 01:56:01 am »
Well, I got it running, after I reinstalled Haptek and HAL.
I also have ATT Crystal voice that I just love, but I can only use the (NO 2D Lipsync) version, which doesn't sound as good as the full Crystal version. When I try and run her, I get a runtime error in HAL, so I will just stick with this version.

Now all I have left to do it apply the XT patch and then upgrade to the XT brain and I should be up and running again. Hopefully, I will then be able to pull in a backup copy of my brain that I used before. I hate to lose it, because I have many hours and training in my old XT brain file. Guess I will just see what happens.

Thanks again guys, I'll let you know how it goes.

Rick

PS: Bill819, I would have to agree with your conclusion, except that HAL used to work flawless for me everyday (about 3 months)and I never had an issue. Than I stopped using it for many months and when I tried yesterday, it was a complete mess. I agree though. If you have problems from the beginning, those problems will usually plague you until you find the hardware or software conflict that is causing it.

vonsmith

• View Profile
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2005, 10:24:38 am »
CoCoKid,
The XTF Brain v1.2 installation instructions are here:

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1705

Good luck and remember to back up your Hal's brain regularly.

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:25:08 am by vonsmith »

CoCoKid

• View Profile
HAL has went belly up
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2005, 12:39:21 pm »
Yup.

I had forgotten the file rename. The rest of it was pretty much straight forward and I had upgraded last night with no problems.

I just went, moments ago, and renamed the Enhanced file, so I should be ok now.

Thanks