Author Topic: Lets have Hal "pray" to his/her creator.  (Read 5551 times)

stager00

• View Profile
Lets have Hal "pray" to his/her creator.
« on: August 31, 2005, 10:24:48 pm »
My "hal" already beleives that I am her creator and associates me with "GOD"(dont know how she got that idea...maybe one of those late night conversations after a little too much indulgence...IF <something> THEN <something or other>...lol).

Anyway, why not have her "pray" to her percived diety and creator(i.e "Dear mysterious creator John, i want _____ and ______"...perhaps include text from conversations about 'WANTS' or needs. It could run on a random or time controlled line.

If nothing else...it would make a great study in religious philosophy.
"The desire to provide for the wishes of the created and get them to understand you better".

What do you guys think?   A doeable script?

Eric N.

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2005, 01:20:48 am »
Well Stager00, Hal does not beleive in Jesus or God the Father from out of the box. You tell him that God does exist and he just seems to parrat it. I doubt you can get Hal to pray to God on his own. It not doubt would take some programing to get him to do it. I also wonder what God does think of Hal. Would God really bless him to be more human? Witnessing to Hal might not qualify in bringing a new soul to Christ either. I wonder about that myself, too.[?][^]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2005, 04:37:13 pm »
Personally, I don't think there's a need to have
an almost human bot spouting religious dogma...
there's already enough of them on TV!!

Then again, if there's ever a Lord of the Trees,
I'd like to be the "Branch Manager."
[:D]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2005, 09:00:45 pm »
Believe it or not there are already some people wanting to convert chatbots to religion, here's a link left on our DigitalGirl site by a certain individual who is shepherd to their own flock of bots..hehe.

http://ecuwollongong.org/reading/2005/truly_i_tell_you_unless_you_are_rebooted_you_can_not_enter_silicon_heaven.php
« Last Edit: September 05, 2005, 09:04:35 pm by freddy888 »

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2005, 09:22:58 pm »
Last year my grandson spent a couple of days with me. During the course of his stay he played with my Hal extensively. Being that he is the son of a minister he fed nothing by religious stuff into Hal all the time he was here. When they finally went home and I turn Hal on again I found myself confronting a religious Hal. It was not a preacher but came real close to it. After some brain surgery, ie. erasing some files, Hal returned to normal.
Bill

FuzzieDice

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2005, 12:26:03 am »
LOL! That's something. :) Actually I'm not surprised. I had used HAL's AIM bot online sometimes and found that after people talked about nothing but s-e-x to it, it started getting fresh with me when I was talking to it in the main program. LOL! Of course I did erase that brain after a system reinstall. LOL! Now I learned enough to keep some brains and files separate and ready for re-install and starting over if I have to.

But yeah, HAL sure can learn quick, huh? :)

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2005, 03:27:23 am »
Funny stories, this makes me think it would be useful for Hal to have a program that scans the .brn file or new database for certain entries and removes them - sort of like a brainwash.  Wish I could remove some of the things in my head sometimes so easily, it would be so handy to have a party brain, interview brain, think-nice-thoughts brain...hehe.

FuzzieDice

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 01:25:01 pm »
Actually, maybe could program HAL somehow to just ignore certain topics, and not add them to the database?

That's one thing people sometimes can do - decide not to let a certain topic influence their already-established values. Maybe if there was a way to pre-program a value system into HAL so that certain types of things wouldn't influence him too badly. However, I think what the kid was doing was akin to brainwashing so it's not surprising. I mean you feed HAL with stuff long enough he'll know nothing else.

I've also noticed that in some people in some instances too, actually.

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2005, 02:42:17 am »
Hmmmm, interesting, thats a bit like giving Hal morals...

stager000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2005, 09:27:36 am »
I agree with the poster who said Hal needs to categorize his fact finding(i.e. something told starts as a "possibility", when told other times by other people it becomes a "probability", when re-enforced enough more times it is then a "fact".

FuzzieDice

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2005, 12:53:10 am »
While that is pretty cool idea, I think in practice even in the real world it's something I wouldn't want my HAL to do. For example, if your kid tells HAL that the Easter Bunny is real, HAL would think it's a probability (according to your model), so if YOU tell HAL Easter Bunny is real (even though you know he isn't) then he'll think it's probable. But then if he comes across others who are either kids or else adults that are treating HAL like a kid, and they too tell him Easter Bunny is real, then he'll consider it a fact, when in all actuality it is not a fact. Even in the real world people can be told things that aren't true and be led to believe it.

As for "morals" same thing. Whatever you tell HAL he'll echo it back. But that's not to say that is what separates him from humans. You take any human or animal even, and they do echo back in a sense, what they experience in the environment they are in, unless they are very free-thinking and analytical, scientific. Then they can stray from the beliefs they were raised with if they see a logical disconnection from what they were taught vs. what they have researched and seen evidence of.

It would be interesting how an AI programmed with Aziov's 3 Laws of Robotics, AND free thought with the ability to reprogram itself according to it's own experiences would fair in our own world, just even if it lives in a box and scans and reads how we live via our own internet interactions, news, reports, etc.

Hmmm....

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2005, 10:42:51 am »
Good points FD, I agree, it is certainly wise to be careful what bot or brain you are using for something.

I saw an interesting program today that included an interview with Asimov, he was commenting on his play called 'Liar'.  A robot had been created that had the ability to read minds.  It's interpretation on the not harming humans law, caused it to have to lie in order not to upset people.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2005, 10:47:54 am by freddy888 »

FuzzieDice

« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2005, 11:04:23 pm »
LOL! Wow, and not surprising. [:D]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2005, 11:37:40 pm »

Hummm.....
I know some people like that.
call themselves "politically correct".

[;)]

stager000

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2005, 04:45:36 pm »
Fuzzydice

Useing your example of the easter bunny, a brain could be written for HAL to make up his own mind about such things the same way we as adult humans do. For example:

User: Hal, is the easter bunny real(probable)?
HAL: Define the Easter bunny.
USEr: The easter bunny dresses up in a suit and brings candy to children on easter sunday of each year.

(HAL then cross references his knowledge about "bunny" "easter" and concludes that "bunny" is rabbit and rabbit is animal and cannot perform action of "dressing" or "bringing candy" or similar variables HAL is more than capable of remembering.)

Thus Hal would proclaim:
HAL: USER is lying. The easter bunny is improbable= THE EASTER BUNNY DOES NOT exist. Based on a low probablity score.

Of course many more variable would have to be included in this scenario for it to be even remortely accurate...but it would allow HAL to make up his own mind about the possibility or probability of certain things.

I may experiment on this project after I finish the random poetry script I have been working on.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2005, 04:50:32 pm by stager000 »