Author Topic: Map Directory Doesn't work for me  (Read 3894 times)

Holllywood

• View Profile
Map Directory Doesn't work for me
« on: December 18, 2006, 05:56:54 pm »
I kinda hope that some one here can tell me the proper way to Map the Directory for my Hal to Open my Application. I type; Map Directory. I then type the App. name and then the file path with the ext.

" Microsoft Word." C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersStart MenuProgramsMicrosoft Office

When I ask Hal to open it It tells me that the file is not there.

Has anyone got the correct way for me to set this up???
Hollywood

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2006, 08:45:01 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Holllywood

I kinda hope that some one here can tell me the proper way to Map the Directory for my Hal to Open my Application.

1) Do you have Hal 6?
2) Do you have a plugin that says Run Progams by Name
3) is it checked?

If yes to the above, will Hal run notepad by saying "open notepad"?

If yes, you should also be able to say "Open Microsoft word" without mapping any directories.

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2006, 10:42:35 pm »
I don't know either but have you tried "open word.exe"?
Bill819

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2006, 02:08:54 pm »
Thanks Bill. The answer is yes to all. Hal will open notepad,but when I call for "Microsoft Word" Hal opens this Path instead of the application...

C:WINDOWSsystem32Microsoft

It's a folder with nothing in it.
Hollywood

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2006, 04:21:14 pm »
quote:

Thanks Bill. The answer is yes to all. Hal will open notepad,but when I call for "Microsoft Word" Hal opens this Path instead of the application...

C:WINDOWSsystem32Microsoft

It's a folder with nothing in it.

Is there a shortcut for "Microsoft word" in your Start Menu somewhere? Hal should read your Start Menu folder and remember those programs without you doing anything but checking the Run Programs by Name plugin.

Did you install or change MS Word since you installed Hal?

Hmm... I just looked at the plugin and at the responding code in Hal6.uhp and didn't fine the part which reads the Start Menu folder. There must be something going on that I don't know (The most frequent thing in my experience).

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2006, 06:02:08 pm »
No Bill, the last time I rebuilt my Pc I always Intall all my applications first. Hal is the last to be Installed. Hal does open notepad, Dictionary, my mail etc. but for some reason doesn't find Word.
Hollywood

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2006, 06:25:01 pm »
quote:

No Bill, the last time I rebuilt my Pc I always Intall all my applications first. Hal is the last to be Installed. Hal does open notepad, Dictionary, my mail etc. but for some reason doesn't find Word.

You seem to be having problems with more than one plugin, if I were you I would uncheck them all, then recheck them one by one, only having one on at a time, and test them thoroughly, each by itself.

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2006, 04:47:22 pm »
I've managed to find and resolve the Prob. But also found the culprit. So I'm posting this if anyone else runs into it. I had an application "Wordweb" on my desktop the Run Programs Plugin would open the Wordweb application If I typed Open Word. I would not recognize "Microsoft Word" I changed the name of the Wordweb shortcut and now the Run Programs Plugin opens Microsoft word when I ask it to open word. I hope this is helpful to anyone else that might run into the same problem.
Hollywood

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2006, 05:08:31 pm »
quote:
I had an application "Wordweb" on my desktop

Yep, that's why I specified the phrase "Open Microsoft Word" earlier, because my wife plays a game called word boggle or something, and if I only say "Open Word" that's what I get. I have to say "Open Microsoft word" to get past that.

Well, good that you got it fixed.[:)]