dupa

Author Topic: Robert - question  (Read 5137 times)

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Robert - question
« on: March 07, 2011, 01:18:47 pm »
when linking to the bing api, i assume you are using instantanswer sourcetype?
if so, i can't get any info except defining a term or airline info.
could you PLEASE give me an example of a url that you would use (without ap-id number of course) to request an answer for the statement "what is the fastest animal in the world" or some question like that.
i know i'm missing something and not doing it right. i have got the other stuff working that i need, just missing something in the request syntax or sourcetype?

i have been trying to research it but can't find info. if you don't want to post it here for some reason, then my email is jasondude7116@yahoo.com. (if you send me email, i will not post any of the info here. now or in future with code ect.)

i appreciate the time. thanks.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Re: Robert - question
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 04:25:04 pm »
I'm using instantanswer, web, and news. Most of Hal's responses when he uses bing come from web. The web responses go to a function in Hal where he filters the results for readability (throwing out stuff that aren't complete sentences or other junk) and then Hal ranks them as if they were in his Q&A brain to pick a response.
Robert Medeksza

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 06:28:50 pm »
thank you for answering so quick and taking your time. i understand now what is happening - aka everything is clear.
the latest things you have been doing to Hal are cool...good ideas!
personally not into the graphics so much (brain is for me), but i can't wait for the next version.
appreciate your company, let me know if there is something i can do to help. i know this stuff takes money, and i would be happy (some people are cringing at this) to purchase version updates. (might have just made some enemies ;) )
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 06:35:27 pm by jasondude7116 »

jasondude7116

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2011, 04:05:29 pm »
Robert -

Everything was going well with the link to Bing. I had it using this:

Code: [Select]
Set NetKobjExplorer1 = CreateObject("InternetExplorer.Application")
And this:

Code: [Select]
NetKobjExplorer1.Document.Body.innerText
To get the text from the return.
Now, all this was working with WinXP with Internet Explorer 8. The problem (big problem) is my laptop decided to jump off a cliff. I got a Win7 machine and I installed Internet Explorer 9. I can still get results using the method above for sites that have plain text in a body. (I have other plugins that do that, using the same method, and they are still working.) I have gone through extensive investigation to see if there was a programming problem, and found that the return from Bing (I am using XML return) is different now.

It causes an error something like:

Error blah blah... Object required: NetKobjExplorer1.Document.Body

From what I understand it is because it is a different format than before, and I guess there is no "innerText" or "Body" like before.
Do you have any idea how I can solve this issue? Possibly grab the return a different way, or change the return? Is there a way to return in plain text from Bing? Is there a way to make Internet Explorer return like it used to?

Believe me, I have spent about 30 hours solid trying to debug this and that's what I found. I wouldn't bother you without trying atleast that.
Thanks as always - the dude
Win7 rocks! (that's from a programmer/hacker)

wakko151

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 02:30:29 am »
I'm using instantanswer, web, and news. Most of Hal's responses when he uses bing come from web. The web responses go to a function in Hal where he filters the results for readability (throwing out stuff that aren't complete sentences or other junk) and then Hal ranks them as if they were in his Q&A brain to pick a response.

where can i find the plug-ins you mentioned in your post.

Instant answer, web and news?