Author Topic: Halo Charecter models for hal.  (Read 7979 times)

The_Blackness

• View Profile
Halo Charecter models for hal.
« on: February 09, 2005, 02:20:22 am »
Hi, i have a charecter model from Halo (the first person shooter game for xbox/pc [for all them oldies out there :P]), and i was wondering if someone could tell me how (if this is possible) to replace the  female charecter model with the one i have and a matching skin. the idea i have is that then it will have all of the animations and stuff that the default female charecter has. the charecter model i had in mind is Cortana, i thought this fitting because the charecter Cortana in the halo story line is a Space Ship AI.

Rogue

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 08:53:18 pm »
As far as I can tell, this is not a simple thing.  Haptek apparently have some tools for converting from various standard 3d file formats (such as Maya, 3D Studio Max, Milkshape) into Haptek formatted files.  This is part of the collection of tools at haptek.com, but you would need to purchase them from Haptek to make it work, as they offer a contact link, but no demo downloads that I can see.

If you can get the Halo character model in one of these standard formats, then it might be possible, but will probably require quite a bit of work, and may require purchasing tools from Haptek.  I suspect that the Halo characters are probably not in a standard format anyway, most game companies create their own formats for storing data specific to their games.
Writing software is easy, its the end users that are difficult !

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 09:46:04 pm »
It would probably be a lot easier to make a MSAgent character, which you could also use with Hal. Still a lot of work, but you should be able to produce it without spending a lot of money. (Microsoft's Agent Character Editor is freeware, and you can probably find a freeware art program to do the animation frames, too.)

moreis62

• View Profile
    • http://www.myway.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 02:45:50 am »
quote:
Originally posted by The_Blackness

Hi, i have a charecter model from Halo (the first person shooter game for xbox/pc [for all them oldies out there :P]), and i was wondering if someone could tell me how (if this is possible) to replace the  female charecter model with the one i have and a matching skin. the idea i have is that then it will have all of the animations and stuff that the default female charecter has. the charecter model i had in mind is Cortana, i thought this fitting because the charecter Cortana in the halo story line is a Space Ship AI.

The_Blackness
Yes,
This is possible but,
If you wanna go with Haptek anyways, heres the model
you want to use with it.

http://haloorbit.gamesurf.tiscali.de/images/news/cortana_sculpture.jpg
ISMAEL LEDESMA.

The_Blackness

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 04:09:33 am »
wow thanks for the help so far guys, but does the charecter showen in hal HAVE to be haptek? i assume it does.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 10:22:13 pm »
Most 3D shooter characters have a rather low poly count which enables the games to allow for a higher frame rate.
The characters of Haptek have a higher poly count and also probably have a bone structure that would need to be linked. There was a program for 3DSMax called Character Studio that allowed one to design a character and set up a bone structure within the character's body that allowed the character to move, walk, dance, talk, etc.
Then there's the LipSync program for Poser, but again it's not for use with Haptek (that I know of).
Given a short time I think we'll see some further enhancements with Haptek and it's characters.

About all you (we) can do for now is create custom characters with People Putty or modify the textures to fit our needs.

Hope this helps...more or less.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 12:03:13 am »
Any MS Agent character will work with Hal. Folks here at the forum have all (understandably) gone happy for Haptek recenty, but MS Agent is the old standby. Still a lot of work to produce a good character, but not expensive. You can go here http://groups.yahoo.com/group/agentcharactors/ for help making MS Agents.

The_Blackness

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 03:43:07 am »
i have 3dsm 6 and a low poly count is definately not a problem. ive done some of the tutorials and stuff but nothing very advanced, ill see what i can learn about making/modding charecters. i also have that program charecter studio. i hope that the next hal update will come with some more options wbere custom charecters is involved, despite it being unlikely. o well, no harm in trying... generally.

Seven

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 11:43:58 pm »
hey blackness,

i was wonderin how this project was comming for ya

I whould be kinda interested in this, as i've been playing halo on my pc as of late.

Cortana, kick, his, ass!
run halo.

i will DEFINITLY download this when finished.
Sarge-"Options are Optional."

www.redvsblue.com

The_Blackness

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 09:48:25 pm »
actually i just got a job and so i havnt been doing much of anything but working lately but im going to be getting into this again pretty soon here. But from what i know it should just be a simple matter of change some file paths to what i want like, changing the model of the female to the model i want, and changing the file path of the models skin to cortanas, although this is only speculation, and as such is viable to change.

microtheraver420

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2009, 08:14:35 am »
is there any news on this this project, i would love to have her.