Author Topic: Progress on new Zabaware site  (Read 4736 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Progress on new Zabaware site
« on: November 25, 2012, 01:14:23 am »
I've made some progress on the Zabaware site redesign. I'd like to get your feedback at this point in its development: http://iis.ultrahal.com

Most the links aren't working yet, only that home page has its look completed. I'd just like some feedback on the general look and feel of the site. Is it simple and logical, does it flow well, does it look good and modern? Any browser it doesn't render correctly in?
Robert Medeksza

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
Re: Progress on new Zabaware site
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2012, 07:30:16 am »

I use Google Chrome, windows XP. 
Page looks good, attractive coloring, well spaced layout. No suggestions at present.
Looks nice.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2012, 08:16:28 am »
Rob, Worked well via Internet Explorer 9 and Mozilla Firefox 16.0.2. The site looks clean and neat however, and I don't mean to rain on your parade, but it seems kind of unsettling in seeing a Frog at the main title of an Artificial Intelligence program. At first glance, it looked like a site geared toward kids.
The frog was well drawn and cartoonishly nice looking and I'm aware that the company's name is taken from the Polish word for frog but please give some thought to attracting a more mature profile. Zaba should perhaps be a Mascot rather as the main title character if you're looking for a more business-like approach.
There were lots of great image examples within your Demo Video that might make for an alternate title choice, but it's your product...push it anyway you prefer.

I've known you for many years through your site and our occasional emails and I know you are a stand up guy and a class act so please don't feel as though I'm attacking your design ideas. I'm merely offering my personal take based on my very first impression.

Perhaps a better idea might be to offer a POLL / VOTE of your members to see what there thoughts might be.

(you should know better to ask for opinions...'cause everyone has one!) - ;)

Wishing you all the best,
- Art -
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2012, 09:36:11 am »
Thanks for the feedback. In the pipeline are plans for redoing the Hal character which is currently a dated CRT type monitor. We want to make a character that is maybe a modern tablet or mobile phone that somehow still resembles the old character. Maybe once complete I'll default to that character instead of the frog. For now though I definitely don't want to use the old CRT monitor and can't really use Haptek characters on the page so the frog will have to do until a different alternative is ready. The plan is to make the character on the page user selectable along with an optional voice.
Robert Medeksza

calemus

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2012, 09:41:25 am »
that frog is stinkin awsem dude..

btw,,i been lurking here ( very ) frequently looking for updates and news.

pleas take a moment to watch and share this in it's ENTIRETY http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20RoAfflGCM
learning is good .....understanding is better .....pleas teach with wisdom..........................................................calemus

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2012, 11:34:15 am »
Hello Robert, i have to agree with Art on what he said :
  it seems kind of unsettling in seeing a Frog at the main title of an Artificial Intelligence program. At first glance, it looked like a site geared toward kids.
The frog was well drawn and cartoonishly nice looking and I'm aware that the company's name is taken from the Polish word for frog but please give some thought to attracting a more mature profile. Zaba should perhaps be a Mascot rather as the main title character if you're looking for a more business-like approach.

I to think a different head picture should be used on the main page and the from as a mascot or secondary character .(if you do decide to do it you could use one of mine or ask for members to vote on some that are offered (if they have their own work.) 
     I personally have some very nice haptek heads i have made very realistic with very nice make up applied . that you could use as a main head if you want to .
    Below is one angela jolene pic. i have others though .
I only also offer this as a suggestion , i know that you want to appeal to a wide variety of customers and users  ,including kids but i think a different main head would look better , even if it's not one of mine , and have a place and or in the video showing where younger kids can even use the frog character to .

If you are interested in using any heads i have for your site you can e mail me , i guess you still have my e mail?

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 01:24:17 pm »
The new site looks great in IE 10 and looked consistent in FireFox 16.0.2

"Type to Zaba here" is this area going to be a site search, or a Chat Bot?

Side note 1: The Frog looks good to me, it could use a small drop shadow though.
Side note 2: If your going to have the "Type to Zaba here" as a Chat bot it would be nice to see the new Character Amy rather than the frog. 

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2012, 02:19:03 pm »
Hi Rob.

on the new site this is misspelled.

Ultra Hal Text-to-Spech Reader

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2012, 02:29:12 pm »
Really great for an initial job, I am sure you can still tweak some things.

I tend to agree about the frog and what others have said, I don't know what to suggest but for the new improved monitor/hal image - but yes definitely not a CRT any more  ;D   A tablet or phone sounds like the way to go for me at least.

I really like the footer, nice job there with getting the Facebook likes box to fit in.

There's only one thing I really do not like and that's the blue-green-grey used in the colour fade.  It reminds me of windows 95/98 and when all links used to be the same basic blue colour.  Some of the links have a nice blue and also the buttons - that seems a lot nicer to me.

I look at a lot of sites because I do my share of designing.  Colour fades are a bit old hat - maybe try some patterns or a brushed metal texture.  Dunno really, just throwing ideas out....

Overall a nice job though and some nice work on the general layout 8)