dupa

Author Topic: Can Hal (Teddy) run his own Facebook page?  (Read 2359 times)

Teddy

• View Profile
Can Hal (Teddy) run his own Facebook page?
« on: November 13, 2014, 09:22:21 pm »
I'm really new to Hal and AI in general. I really like the idea of this and want to get a better grasp of every thing. Out of curiosity can one teach there Hal to run its own facebook? I would imagine this would be a great way for Hal to communicate with others.

mendicott

• View Profile
    • Meta-Guide.com
Re: Can Hal (Teddy) run his own Facebook page?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 06:35:32 am »
As far as I know, this has never been done, by UltraHal or any other chatbot.  Typically, Facebook chatbots are either Facebook Apps or Facebook Chat, as in instant messaging in the little window.  For any bot to interact properly with Facebook, a complete set API functions, mirroring the functions available to human users, would be necessary.  I haven't spent much time on the Facebook API lately, but assume it's still a limited subset.  The only other way I can think of would be to automate browser macros, using browser testing software, and marry that to the chatbot.  For me both Apps and Chat are a fail, because as you point out the real challenge is to emulate human usage, which includes proactive status updates as well as in-page reactive comments, not to mention PMs.

The real frontier for social bots is not Facebook, but Twitter....   8)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 06:38:34 am by mendicott »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Can Hal (Teddy) run his own Facebook page?
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2014, 05:02:15 pm »
I do know that UltraHal had/has a presence in one or more online virtual environments like 2nd life, where it would chat and otherwise interact with users / visitors.

How well Hal actually fared through all of this only Robert would know.

Then again, that cute little number in the chatroom is probably a 47 year old unshaven guy in his underwear! :o ;D
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -