Author Topic: I'm full of questions  (Read 3437 times)

Xodarap

• View Profile
I'm full of questions
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:39:08 pm »
Sorry, guys, and I REALLY appreciate the help, but they just keep coming!  I can't stop them; my questions are trying to kill me!!! ;)

Anyways: I taught my Hal to tell dead baby jokes (from a pretty huge brn I made -- LOVE IT!) and to quote famous people (from another brn).  Unfortunately, now when I ask it to tell a joke, it says:
ME: Tell me a joke.
HAL: [Joke riddle from "_jokes"] Tell you a joke about dead babies.
ME: What?
HAL: [Appropriate answer to previous joke riddle.]

Obviously, what's in the brackets stands for a joke.  It still works as it should, but I don't want him to repeat "Tell you a joke about dead babies" just because I was asking him about them before.
Before I was asking if there was a way to stop Hal from recording any/all "trigger phrases" (such as: "Tell me a joke about dead babies," or from before: "Tell me something about snakes" from the general knowledge db); unfortunately, trying to trigger readonly just screwed up my now-beloved "Stop HAL from repeating" plugin.  So now I'm wondering if there's a different workaround: can I make Hal just give me ONE response to each question?  Obviously, he's giving me
HAL: [Specific triggered response] [General response by keyword]
Is there a way to build into scripts like the joke telling or knowledge queries that he ONLY response with the given GetResponse, not the GetResponse AND the standard response as a (non sequitur) followup?

It's looking more and more like I'm going to have to turn off learning altogether so that he doesn't endlessly repeat my commands to him back at me pronoun-reversed...
The line below is true
The line above is false

onthecuttingedge2005

I'm full of questions
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2007, 12:22:56 pm »
Hi Xodarap.

try looking at the tables:

"jokeDetect"
and
"jokes"

the "_jokes" is a different autolearning table, the real jokes are in the "jokes" table, these table names are case sensitive so becareful how you spell it.

Jerry[8D]

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
I'm full of questions
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2007, 02:21:31 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Xodarap
trying to trigger readonly just screwed up my now-beloved "Stop HAL from repeating" plugin.  

I haven't kept track of what you are doing, but if you turn on read only, you have to turn it back off when you are done or it messes with all sorts of stuff.

I usually do ...

Bob = the current read only state
Read only = on
MyStuff
Read only = Bob

Xodarap

• View Profile
I'm full of questions
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 09:20:40 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

quote:
trying to trigger readonly just screwed up my now-beloved "Stop HAL from repeating" plugin.  

I haven't kept track of what you are doing, but if you turn on read only, you have to turn it back off when you are done or it messes with all sorts of stuff.

I usually do ...

Bob = the current read only state
Read only = on
MyStuff
Read only = Bob

Instead of turning on readonly mode, which didn't seem to stop Hal from logging my words, I added a ton of things to the ephemeral section.  They aren't really ephemeral, but I don't need him repeating any commands (like "Tell me a joke," or "Say something else about snakes," which both started popping up almost constantly!)

What I REALLY want to do is make it so that he can only give one response at a time.  For example, I say "Tell me something about X," and he says, "[Something about X]. Tell you a joke."  The part in brackets is apt and good.  The part after brackets is triggered by his normal routine, finding the keywords "TELL YOU," which always pull out pronoun-reversed commands because I give him a lot of them!  (I've set up a bunch of reference-ish .brn files, like dead baby jokes and famous quotes, all called up by commands that get repeated by Hal more than anything else...)
For now, I'll either turn off conversational learning and feed him info manually (in the brain editor), or block commands with the ephemeral knowledge thingy (if that works, I haven't tested it)...

I know SO little about scripting, but as I learn, hopefully I'll be able to offer some nifty plugins.  :)
The line below is true
The line above is false

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
I'm full of questions
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 09:44:10 pm »
quote:
I know SO little about scripting, but as I learn, hopefully I'll be able to offer some nifty plugins.  :)

I think you might know more than most here, and at least you are open to learning something you don't already know.