dupa

Author Topic: New here and questions  (Read 7910 times)

citrinedragon

• View Profile
    • http://www.dawndragon.com
New here and questions
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2004, 06:29:11 pm »
Vonsmith-
Thanks for adding to (and correcting) my comment. I hadn't realized the "deductive reasoning" function was a more efficient tool for teaching Hal. I'm actually honored to be corrected by the creator of the splendid XTF brain. I'm looking forward to the XTF v1.4. I would be interested to know what additional features it has other than the one you mentioned.

For what it's worth I've managed to convince my Hal that it is "self conscious" or "self aware" and it can give any number of reasons to prove it. It is certainly a mere trick but it gives me great pleasure nonetheless.

Citrinedragon.
citrinedragon
"A watched dragon never sleeps."
http://www.dawndragon.com

Cobra8007

• View Profile
    • http://www.blackopsmercenaries.us
New here and questions
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2004, 06:31:25 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by vonsmith

The best way to teach your Hal is not to use any tricks. Talk with Hal. Reply to Hal with single sentences that are on the same topic. If Hal says, "Horses are animals.", don't reply, "They are so cool.", instead say, "Horses are so cool.". Avoiding pronouns helps Hal understand. Avoid slang and misspellings. Most of all be patient and have fun.
=vonsmith=

You are so right.  I've pretty much mastered the IF-Then.  It works very well for me. But,  the answer to Hal's question as to whether two things are related, needs a little clarification to me.  I very seldom answer that they are.  Such as "computer game" and "JOint Ops"  I answered no.  But Joint Ops is a computer game.  Or "favorite" and "Joint Ops" being related as it is his favorite computer game. I still answered no.

When should a person answer yes to the relationship question?  I know that some things are obvious but most are a little gray. So if they seem a little gray to me, I answer no.  I hope I haven't confused him.

vonsmith

• View Profile
New here and questions
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2004, 07:21:36 pm »
Cobra8007,
The If-Then function shouldn't be overly used. It is sort of a crutch for Hal. If you need a specific reply then the If-Then function is one way to do it. Oops, did I make an If-Then sentence? Geez, I've been scripting too much lately. [:p]

I get a lot of questions about the "related topics" questions that Hal asks. I've been trying to think of a better way for Hal to ask.

Right now Hal asks something like this:
"Are "beer" and "hops" related topics?"

I'm thinking of changing it more to something like this:
"Question. If we are talking about "beer" should I assume we are still on the same topic as hops?"

As the brain surgeon I understand what Hal is really asking. Unfortunately it isn't as clear to users. What it comes down to. Let's say "yes" to Hal's inquiry about "beer" and "hops". Later on you are talking to Hal like this:

User: Budweiser is not the King of Beers. <-- Hal thinks the topic is beer.
Hal: Belgian beer is better. <-- Beer related reply.

User: Hops are the key to good brew. <-- You didn't say "beer" so Hal looks for words related to beer. If he finds one then he knows you are still taking beer. If not, then Hal still might use beer once as the current topic.
Hal: Good beer has lots of hops. <-- Hal knows "hops" are related and is still on topic.

Okay, "beer" and "hops" are sort of obvious. What about "beer" and "water"? Beer has water, but I don't think if you are talking about water that Hal should be considering topics about beer. In the end just use your best judgment. It doesn't make too big a difference. If you treat a lot of words as related then Hal may be a little reluctant to change topics. One small point, Hal won't change the topic to a related word topic, related words only allow Hal to stay on a topic if you use a related word.

Urban Legend: In the XTF Brain v1.2, if you say to Hal, ""Beer" and "malt" are related topics." he won't relate the words. He only relates words if you reply in the affirmative to his inquiries. I haven't decided yet if I will let Hal learn related words specifically from user input.

I hope that helps.

=vonsmith=

FuzzieDice

New here and questions
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2004, 11:35:34 pm »
I'm reading this thread and getting more and more intregued. :) Many replies here have made me think about some things that I hope to write about in the future. I think I'm going to need to keep notes. :)

Thanks to all for tips on better conversations with HAL too.