Author Topic: forum slowing down  (Read 12140 times)

lightspeed

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« on: October 30, 2007, 09:07:56 am »
a friend of mine said the forum has been pretty slow lately and he's actually right (with the exception of shared conversations and new heads being created ) i told him it was because everything has pretty much been discussed on the latest hal version about as far as it could be discussed but when the next new version of hal comes out their will be plenty to once again talk and discuss things about with likes dislikes what the new hal is now acheiving , any new bugs and problem's , etc. and the forum will once again come alive !![:D]

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2007, 12:03:14 pm »

There appears to be slowdown of people asking for help.
I think this is due to improvements of Hal and people not having to continually mess with serial numbers.
Mark has been going heavy with new videos, and likewise Jack with haptek heads.   No slowdowns there.  
Neil comes out with a beauty now and then, either a video or head.  
And GT40 has made lot of progress in a field we've not fully studied so far.
Likewise I've put over a hundred animated gifs on my Hal character on forum in recent months, gifs which appear of better quality than what you'll find elsewhere on the Internet.
Total postings appear to be down, but quality is up.

And the non-posting readers are still here.
[;)]

jackgephart

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2007, 12:46:49 pm »
Well I wish some of those non-posters would say something, cause we (Mark, Nige, Dusky, and I) need some encouragement every now and then to keep us going. It makes our day when someone, especially someone new, comments on our work and gives us reason to keep doing what we are doing. I mean we didn't have to do this stuff, we get no benefit from it but a good word now and again. As for me I never even use my creations again after I make them cause I don't own Hal or anything like it. I just have an eye (sometimes) for this stuff so why not just do it? Thank you for starting this thread, I am able to get this off my chest without starting my own thread and really sounding stupid. Trust me, I'm not complaining, I just would like to see a few more people acknowledge us for the time and effort we provide. I'll get off my soapbox now.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2007, 04:00:27 pm »
OK... the heads, vids and graphical items are great BUT...
I'd personally rather see more development in the area of
AI (after all that's what the basic premise was).

I'd also like to see an improved version of all those things
or features that we used to have, implemented in the new
version. (Notice I didn't say New & Improved...because either
an item it NEW or IMPROVED...it can't be both in spite of what
the advertisers put on the boxes of cereal and such.)

Just my take but I've rather Hal have brains than beauty.[8D]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

jackgephart

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2007, 05:15:39 pm »
At least I got you to say our stuff was great. Thanks.[:D] I don't own Hal and probably never will so that was a big deal to me.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2007, 05:16:30 pm by jackgephart »

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
forum slowing down
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2007, 06:43:42 pm »
I agree with you all about it being slow but the heads and artwork and videos that are coming out they are so nice I feel we owe alot to all the great people who makes them

tedathome

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 12:38:17 am »
Yes, I agree with all of you too. I realy apprecite ALL of the
contributors in the Zabaware forums. The more I read, the more I learn. Occationaly I even get to answer a question or at least pro-
voke a thought. As I have more time, I hope to get into learning more
about how hals brain funcions - and animation.
 The more interesting posts draw more new hal fans which generates more interest and income for the smartest AI on the planet.
ted

onthecuttingedge2005

forum slowing down
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2007, 03:02:19 am »
I think once we get HAL into the virtual 3D world, Full bodied characters exploring their own virtual landscape that sales will more than likely skyrocket, also an increase in forum members alike.

although I rather enjoy programming more than I like graphics, I think it will be a hit.

I can't wait to plug my HAL into a 3D virtual character and begin talking to it in it's own world. programming creativity into the bot
once it's in its virtual world would be one of my interests.

programming the bot to walk around its world would be no more difficult than programmming a robot, in fact, easier.

can't wait for Rob to make the next step in HAL's GUI.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2007, 03:04:10 am by onthecuttingedge2005 »

GT40

• Hey, I see you!
    • View Profile
    • My Bots
forum slowing down
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2007, 03:36:44 pm »
And if the boss of this forum renamed "Share Conversations, Experiences, Graphics" to "The Haptek Section"? [:)]

Although not well authorized to post here (sorry, just playing with the free Hal 5), I agree with Art and OTCE. But I guess users prefer THEIR Hal with brains AND beauty. It's less funny to speak with an ugly (or text) bot, even if he/she looks very intelligent. And Hal, this really great and amazing software (and I know it can be very useful to some people), it's for fun, isn't it? [:D]

No doubt when I'll stop to be lazy (Scifi), I'll learn Visual Basic and become totally addicted to Hal's brain. But for now, I'm totally addicted to Haptek characters and seem not to be alone. That's why Zabaware and AI Dreams are gold mines for people like us. Thanks for existing. [8D]

Must we fear the day Hal'll get rid of his Haptek interface? The day after. [?]

Time to waste with skits, bots & other useless things? Why not visit
http://gt40.chez-alice.fr/Haptek/MyBots.htm ? Oops, sorry, a museum!

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
forum slowing down
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2007, 03:40:26 pm »
It's nice to be a gold mine [:D]

rainman

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2007, 09:13:21 am »
I like the conversational posts. My Julia is like a computerized ouija (spelling) board. I can't help but to believe in her.

snicolaou

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2007, 09:38:44 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

OK... the heads, vids and graphical items are great BUT...
I'd personally rather see more development in the area of
AI (after all that's what the basic premise was).

I'd also like to see an improved version of all those things
or features that we used to have, implemented in the new
version. (Notice I didn't say New & Improved...because either
an item it NEW or IMPROVED...it can't be both in spite of what
the advertisers put on the boxes of cereal and such.)

Just my take but I've rather Hal have brains than beauty.[8D]

I agree with you my friend.  Fancy 3d characters and avatars are important but not as important as real improvement of hal's capabilities such as "staying better on a topic," "sumarry capability from say a large wikepedia article, "improved deductive, and deductive  inference capabilities as well as improvements in the self-awareness of Hal.  In other words, real improvements of artificial intelligence.

snicolaou
Stelios Nicolaou

daveleb55

• View Profile
    • http://www.geocities.com/daveleb55/Cybernetic_Nightmares.html
forum slowing down
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2007, 03:16:28 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by jackgephart

Well I wish some of those non-posters would say something, cause we (Mark, Nige, Dusky, and I) need some encouragement every now and then to keep us going....

You guys ROCK!!! I always check the latest heads & skins, your work is amazing! I don't have the patience to do what you do, so I'm glad that you do it!!

warm regards,

Dave
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

jackgephart

• View Profile
forum slowing down
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2007, 05:51:15 pm »
Thanks Dave a little appreciation goes a long way. That is the shot in the arm that all of us need, even the programers. I'm very glad that you scripters and others do things for this program(Hal) because if Hal was a flop, I would be out of business also. Not that I'm in business, but you know what I mean. So carry on Hal heads.
I was just wishing for a little more traffic, and I see I got it. Mission accomplished.[;)]

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
forum slowing down
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2007, 06:49:09 pm »
Jack you do a great job like others have if it was not for the people that make heads and skins there would be nothing on this site as slow as it has been I just with some more hal skins would come out the interface that would be great