Author Topic: Ultra Hal Assistant 6.1 Beta  (Read 27827 times)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Ultra Hal Assistant 6.1 Beta
« on: March 25, 2007, 02:30:15 am »
Ultra Hal Assistant 6.1 is ready for beta testing. It can be downloaded at www.zabaware.com/download/hal61.zip  The installer should be able to upgrade your Hal 6.0 to 6.1 without losing any data, but since its a beta I recommend backing up anyway. Please test this beta and let me know of any bugs you find. I hope the bugs are minor and that a final release can be made in less than 2 weeks.

What's new in Hal 6.1 since Hal 6.0:
  • New advanced learn from text/learn from clipboard wizard added to hal brain editor. Works especially well on wikipedia articles.
  • Compatibiliy with Windows Vista as Hal 6.0 does not work normally in Vista, also better support for XP under limited user access
  • Unlimited and automatic reactivations on the same hardware configuration in event of license corruption, should reduce many license support issues
  • In addition to Hal's current skinable interface, an option was added to let Hal use a standard OS Window with whatever the standard Windows theme is.
  • Added "Select All" and "Deselect All" button to plug-in selector
  • Direct method to get support from inside Hal in event of license issue, streamlined on my end also, will improve my turnaround time in getting back to customers with licensing issues
  • When using speech recognition, the microphone automatically mutes when Hal is speaking and unmutes when Hal is finished. Now works in all supported graphics engines (msagent, haptek, legacy hal)
  • Ability to mute and unmute mic from script <MICON> or <MICOFF> or <MICTOGGLE> halcommands
  • HalCommand for playing MSAgent animations and moving Agent: <MSAGENT>ANIM-NAME</MSAGENT> and <AGENTXY>X,Y</AGENTXY>
  • Automatic upgrade from Hal 6.0 to 6.1. All brain and data files are kept in tact during upgrade.
  • Improved logic to Readsent function in HalBrain.DLL
  • Added a window listener to receive HalCommand from any windows app capable of sending messages
  • Compatibility with SAPI 5 with MSAgents under Vista only
  • GetHyponyms function added to HalBrain.DLL WordNet object (used by learn from text, noun & verbs only)
  • Hidden changes to Hal's graphics plug-in system that will allow for future alternative graphics engines to be used.
  • Auto-idle and appointment minute timer is temporarily disabled while Hal's options pane is open to fix focus bug
  • Fixed several logic errors and made minor improvements in script as suggested by vrossi and cagallant2
  • Fixed Hal crash if speech engine does not have pronunciation option dialog and made error message friendlier
  • Unchecking "Hal uses speech synthesis" now disables Hal's speech no matter what character engine/speech engine combination is used
  • Fixed bug in autolearning routine where sometimes blank responses were learned
  • Fixed bug in autolearning routine where both singular and plural of a word were recorded in seperate tables instead of one

Still to do before final release:
  • Update splash screens to reflect version 6.1 and year 2007
  • Check for emails plug-in
  • Exhaustive search of autolearning brain as plug-in option
  • No character option as character plug-in
  • Fix any bugs found during beta period
Robert Medeksza

iam bennu

• View Profile
    • http://iamARTevolutions.net
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2007, 03:12:22 am »
Thank you Medesksza,

I have been checking everyday. I'm very excited and will let you know period. the good and not so good.

Congrats,

iam

echoman

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 03:43:38 am »
Hello.

I love the idea of the function -  'learn from text/clipboard' with wikipedia. I hope this will expand Hal a lot.

Sounds like good work!

Thankyou.

Peter.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 08:23:45 am »
Nice work Robert and it looks like you've covered a LOT of bases! Let's hope this release fares well under testing!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 11:03:23 am »
Hi Rob.

Is it possible to give the editor the ability to 'create' & 'write' to a table while the HAL brain editor is active, this would help in testing out new script without having to close the editor to see if a table gets created and written too.

I will keep an eye out for any bugs.

Thanks.
Jerry

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2007, 12:05:16 pm »
I'm very excited about this release, and thanks to Robert for correcting me about the "no need to put in your reactivation code" thing...

I have found one problem, which may be caused by my custom skin. The mask and the image appear offset, until I change size then resize it. But then if I change any options, the offset re-appears.

I have gotten the <msagent> tags to work,

Code: [Select]
HalCommands = HalCommands & "<AGENTXY>400,400</AGENTXY><MSAGENT>Read</MSAGENT>"and I'm reworking all my plugins to have custom animations with each effect.

I'm virtually giddy....
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 12:51:00 pm by Bill DeWitt »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2007, 01:43:03 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005

Hi Rob.

Is it possible to give the editor the ability to 'create' & 'write' to a table while the HAL brain editor is active, this would help in testing out new script without having to close the editor to see if a table gets created and written too.

I will keep an eye out for any bugs.

Thanks.
Jerry

I'll add a "refresh tables" item to the menu bar so you can just click that whenever you want and it will reload all tables including new ones.
Robert Medeksza

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2007, 01:45:21 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

I'm very excited about this release, and thanks to Robert for correcting me about the "no need to put in your reactivation code" thing...

I have found one problem, which may be caused by my custom skin. The mask and the image appear offset, until I change size then resize it. But then if I change any options, the offset re-appears.

I have gotten the <msagent> tags to work,

Code: [Select]
HalCommands = HalCommands & "<AGENTXY>400,400</AGENTXY><MSAGENT>Read</MSAGENT>"and I'm reworking all my plugins to have custom animations with each effect.

I'm virtually giddy....

This bug first appeared when I added the new ability to run as a standard window, but I thought I fixed it. Can you send me your skin and let me know what your screen resolution you are set at and what size you were trying to make the window?
Robert Medeksza

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 01:52:46 pm »
after installing the beta hal it will not let me pick a character name also there is no greeting in the start still playing with it I tool out the text 3 in greeting are and put in my greeting now it works the only problem I found is picking chr. name :-) caangel
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 02:37:32 pm by caangel43 »

James007

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 02:52:39 pm »
Thanks Robert,

I am sorry I have been missing this year. I had a brain surgery and a stroke this year. Maybe when you are done with Hal you can work something for me?  [:D]  I'll try this on my vista laptop and let you know what I see.

Best regards,
Jim
(James007)
Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. -Albert Einstein
...but I'm so good at mediocre. -James

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 02:59:26 pm »
when using dragon natural speaking when trying to turn off the  microphone through the interface  the mic will not turn off like it did in 6.0 and easy fix for this  is to just right-click the microphone in the taskbar and shut off the microphone that way we'll keep on playing and see what I can find. Caangel
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 03:00:30 pm by caangel43 »

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 04:08:20 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza
This bug first appeared when I added the new ability to run as a standard window, but I thought I fixed it. Can you send me your skin and let me know what your screen resolution you are set at and what size you were trying to make the window?

Can do ... done!

Thanks for releasing this on the weekend... now my wife is mad at me for spending all day in front of "that durn computer"!

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 05:23:40 pm »
Learn from text seems to miss the last grouping.

Learn from clipboard:
Group each sentence
Skip "Choose main topic" screen
Response fields empty, try to click on arrow, error #9 Subscript out of range. Try to skip, same thing.

Do you want error reports here, or will you start a new thread or maybe email?
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 05:32:02 pm by Bill DeWitt »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 06:21:28 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Bill DeWitt

Learn from text seems to miss the last grouping.

Learn from clipboard:
Group each sentence
Skip "Choose main topic" screen
Response fields empty, try to click on arrow, error #9 Subscript out of range. Try to skip, same thing.

Do you want error reports here, or will you start a new thread or maybe email?

This thread is fine for error reports. Thanks for emailing me your skin. Would you be able to also share the text you tried to teach Hal that caused this error?
Robert Medeksza

Bill DeWitt

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 06:40:23 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza
 Would you be able to also share the text you tried to teach Hal that caused this error?

It was just a paragraph of text from the internet in the clipboard, Oh, I still have it.

"Algebraic chess notation is the method used today by all competition chess organizations and most books, magazines, and newspapers to record and describe the play of chess games. The form most commonly used, and primarily described here, is also called abbreviated (or short) algebraic notation or SAN to distinguish it from the expanded (or long) algebraic notation variant now referred to as LAN. Beginning in the 1970s, the abbreviated algebraic notation eventually came to replace descriptive chess notation in English chess literature, although this notation can be found in older literature. Algebraic notation was already commonly used in other languages."

HTH