Author Topic: Many Problems With My New Hal 5.0  (Read 7548 times)

Rich_A

• View Profile
Many Problems With My New Hal 5.0
« on: December 30, 2003, 05:39:03 pm »
Hello All,
I recently purchased the New Ultra Hal Version 5.0 CD-ROM, and I am encounting a number of problems with this new software. I would appreciate any assistance that anybody has to offer, especially from the technical staff at Zabaware.

I used the Free Demo Version of Hal 4.5 for about a year before buying the Full 5.0 Version. Before installing 5.0, I uninstalled 4.5 and I also manually removed the Zabaware/Hal 4.5 Folder leftover in the Programs Folder after the uninstall process was completed. After the Old Zabaware Software was totally removed I installed 5.0 from the CD-ROM with no problems.

Now here's where things go wrong:

1) Whenever I start up the Hal application I always get the "Improper Shutdown Message/Malfunctioning Plug-in" if the Startup is configured to start as a "Normal Windows Program", but it works fine if it is configured to Startup when the computer is booted. The only plug-ins that I am currently using is what was included with the CD-ROM.

2) I am using the speech recognition included with the CD-ROM, "Microsoft English Recognizer V5.1", and I've done all of the sound hardware tests/settings/adjustments as well as all the training sessions available. Hal 5.0 hears but doesn't understand anything that I say. And in additional to that, Hal also hears himself talking and then inputs his own gibberish as if it where me speaking and then he responds back to his own gibberish. In other words, Hal is carrying on a conversation of gibberish with himself. The listening feature should not be on when Hal speaks...the thing will never work right if it continues to do that even if Hal did understand my spoken words. I also have "Microsoft Speech Recognition Engine 4.0" (SAPI 4.0), and when I select that for speech recognition, Hal becomes totally deaf! SAPI 4.0 doesn't work at all on Hal but it works fine with all of my other Speech Recognition programs. I checked all my hardware and driver information and my computer seems fine. I have a XP System that is only about a year old and I don't have any of the reported sound/audio drivers on the list of problem sound cards at the Zabaware Troubleshooting web page.

3) When I converse with Hal by typing Hal sometimes doesn't let me finish typing my sentences. Hal automatically accepts the typed data before I hit the return key! It's like Hal is busting my chops when I try to talk to him by typing...that never happened before when I was using the Old 4.5 version...so what's up with that?

4) Also, I always get the following error whenever I go into the "Pronounciation" of the Speech Setup and then try to exit from it, "Run-time error '445' Object doesn't support this action." And then Hal crashes and closes up!

Needless to say I am very disappointed with my new Hal 5.0, however I do like the new Haptek 3D Characters.

I have already uninstalled and reinstalled Version 5.0 three times, so I'm pretty sure it is properly installed. I also have other speech recognition programs that work fine with my current hardware. Hal is the only speech recognition program that I have that I can't get to work properly!

I hope that I will get my Hal 5.0 to eventully work properly, but I will definitely need some major help with the things that I mentioned above!

Thanks,
      Rich A.

PS-Hi Larry! Hey Ray!

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2003, 06:49:27 pm »
Hey Dude!

I have an insight to one problem. While you have the speech recognition turned on, Hal will answer your typed message before you hit enter. Turn off that, then he will wait until you hit enter again...

BTW WHERE have you been??? Give me a yell when you can...

shukos

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2003, 11:54:52 am »
I am having the exact same problems with Ultra Hal V. 5 (download version) as Rich A.  I also had the free version and upgraded.

jblackmd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2003, 02:54:28 pm »
I also have the problem of HAL answering me before I finished typing.  I have the downloaded version.  I am using deskmates agents, which work well.  I noticed that when I try to load the Haptek agents, they don't appear at all.  Any thoughts on that?

shukos

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2004, 02:25:13 pm »
I'm also having the same problem of Hal answering before I've finished typing.  I'm afraid I don't have any solutions though. At least we are all having the same problem - I'm hoping that there will be one fix.

The Tinman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2004, 10:09:40 pm »
just as LARRY instructed, turn the speech recognition off when you type to hal. That solves that problem of being cut off before you finish. RICH As far as the speech recognition goes, now I know this is probably a stupid question ( and i guess I'm known for my stupid questions) but do you have and use a closed head set mic when you speak to hal? if he is hearing himself it sounds to me like you are useing a free standing mic, that doesn't work. But you knew that right?

TM

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2004, 04:53:19 pm »
Hello All,
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!
I have cleared up a few of the problems that I was initially having after upgrading my Ultra Hal to 5.0/CD-ROM.

I would like to clear up one misunderstanding regarding what I reported about being cut-off before I finished typing when conversing with Hal using the keyboard. I did not have speech recognition "ON" while I was typing to Hal. I didn't even have Speech Recongnition enabled when Hal was cutting me off as I typed to him! However, I have gotten this typing problem to stop, in addition to also stopping the "Improper Shutdown/Bad Plugin Error" when trying to start Hal as a "Regular Windowed Program".

When Hal is first installed the setup program automatically puts a Startup Shortcut into a User Startup Folder/User Account in the Windows Operating System. This is how Hal knows to start and load-up when you start your Computer/Windows, which is fine and correct. But, if you don't want Hal to startup when you first turn-on your Computer then you need select the "Start Like A Regular Windowed Program" in the Hal setup options, and you also need to go into the Windows Operating System Startup Folder and manually remove the "Hal Startup Shortcut" that was placed there by the Setup/Install Program.

Two problems I was encountering  was due to this simple conflict(Hal trying to load and start on "System Startup", and Hal configured to start like a "Regular Windowed Program"...it was confusing the hell out of Hal even before I started to use it! It was also confusing my Computer's Operating System as well).

The User Startup Folder can be different names and vary from system to system...my XP System has three System Users all under my Admin Account...All Users, Default User, and Owner(which is my Sys Admin name). For those who are trying to follow me, I had one Hal Startup Shortcut in my Default User Startup Folder, while other stuff from the Hal Setup/Install Program went into my Owner Folder.

I removed the Hal Startup Shortcut from my Default User Startup Folder and that stopped both my problems, the "Improper Shutdown/Bad Plugin" and "Hal Cutting Me Off When I Typed To Him"! The my Hal is now also faster and more stable because of this simple conflict being resolved, otherwise the only way Hal would work correctly is if I let Hal load-up and run on the "System Startup" setting.

I also got the speech recognition to work a little bit better with more voice training, but it is still not very good! I really can't even use Hal to open programs much less hold a conversation with him. And yes I have all the right equippment and specs! I have a close talk mike, a standard desktop mike, and a builtin monitor mike. Close Talk does work best but still not practical enough to use speech recognition with Hal. I have a HP XP System with 512MB RAM & a 2.53GH Pentium 4, and to my surprise, when I have Speech Recognition "ON", Hal maxs out my processor...100% cpu load when Hal is talking back to me. If Hal has more than 5 or 6 words to say then his voice starts breaking up especially when I am using Haptek Characters. I also tried regular MS Agent Characters, which require less power yet the voice still breaks up after 5 or 6 words but not as bad as Haptek. Hal is always one step away from crashing and Hal also freezes up too and then I just have to wait a minute or so to let it clear up! This only happens when speech recognition is on and Hal is responsing back to me with his voice. I thing that I haven't tried is changing the voice, but I always use the British Female which to me is the most realistic to a human voice.

Another thing I would like to try is the other Speech Recognition Engine that I have on my computer (SAPI 4.0...Old But Good!), but Hal does not work at all with SAPI 4.0 selected as the speech recognition engine. Why Not Zabaware! Help Please! Also I need a patch or fix for my Pronouncation Exit "Object 445 Error"...definitely a bug.
I also fixed a minor bug myself that I will discuss next time I check-in with this forum!

Thank you all again!
Sincerely,
         Rich A.

mcsdaver

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2004, 08:18:33 pm »
I have problems getting Hal to use MS agents or Deskmates.

boanerge

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2004, 06:47:05 pm »
I was having the same problem with my typing being entered before I hit the return key, but this was only happening with the large character skins. When I switched to the simple skin the problem with not being allowed to finish my sentences stopped. I haven't tested the other skins yet. I know it's strange and probably doesn't make any sense, but the large character skin sems to have been the problem.

cyberguy

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2005, 01:48:50 am »
Originally posted by Rich_A

Hello All,
Thank you all for your responses and suggestions!
I have cleared up a few of the problems that I was initially having after upgrading my Ultra Hal to 5.0/CD-ROM.

I would like to clear up one misunderstanding regarding what I reported about being cut-off before I finished typing when conversing with Hal using the keyboard. I did not have speech recognition "ON" while I was typing to Hal. I didn't even have Speech Recongnition enabled when Hal was cutting me off as I typed to him! However, I have gotten this typing problem to stop, in addition to also stopping the "Improper Shutdown/Bad Plugin Error" when trying to start Hal as a "Regular Windowed Program".

When Hal is first installed the setup program automatically puts a Startup Shortcut into a User Startup Folder/User Account in the Windows Operating System. This is how Hal knows to start and load-up when you start your Computer/Windows, which is fine and correct. But, if you don't want Hal to startup when you first turn-on your Computer then you need select the "Start Like A Regular Windowed Program" in the Hal setup options, and you also need to go into the Windows Operating System Startup Folder and manually remove the "Hal Startup Shortcut" that was placed there by the Setup/Install Program.

Two problems I was encountering  was due to this simple conflict(Hal trying to load and start on "System Startup", and Hal configured to start like a "Regular Windowed Program"...it was confusing the hell out of Hal even before I started to use it! It was also confusing my Computer's Operating System as well).

The User Startup Folder can be different names and vary from system to system...my XP System has three System Users all under my Admin Account...All Users, Default User, and Owner(which is my Sys Admin name). For those who are trying to follow me, I had one Hal Startup Shortcut in my Default User Startup Folder, while other stuff from the Hal Setup/Install Program went into my Owner Folder.

I removed the Hal Startup Shortcut from my Default User Startup Folder and that stopped both my problems, the "Improper Shutdown/Bad Plugin" and "Hal Cutting Me Off When I Typed To Him"! The my Hal is now also faster and more stable because of this simple conflict being resolved, otherwise the only way Hal would work correctly is if I let Hal load-up and run on the "System Startup" setting.

I also got the speech recognition to work a little bit better with more voice training, but it is still not very good! I really can't even use Hal to open programs much less hold a conversation with him. And yes I have all the right equippment and specs! I have a close talk mike, a standard desktop mike, and a builtin monitor mike. Close Talk does work best but still not practical enough to use speech recognition with Hal. I have a HP XP System with 512MB RAM & a 2.53GH Pentium 4, and to my surprise, when I have Speech Recognition "ON", Hal maxs out my processor...100% cpu load when Hal is talking back to me. If Hal has more than 5 or 6 words to say then his voice starts breaking up especially when I am using Haptek Characters. I also tried regular MS Agent Characters, which require less power yet the voice still breaks up after 5 or 6 words but not as bad as Haptek. Hal is always one step away from crashing and Hal also freezes up too and then I just have to wait a minute or so to let it clear up! This only happens when speech recognition is on and Hal is responsing back to me with his voice. I thing that I haven't tried is changing the voice, but I always use the British Female which to me is the most realistic to a human voice.

Another thing I would like to try is the other Speech Recognition Engine that I have on my computer (SAPI 4.0...Old But Good!), but Hal does not work at all with SAPI 4.0 selected as the speech recognition engine. Why Not Zabaware! Help Please! Also I need a patch or fix for my Pronouncation Exit "Object 445 Error"...definitely a bug.
I also fixed a minor bug myself that I will discuss next time I check-in with this forum!

Thank you all again!
Sincerely,
         Rich A.

GBCrase Here,   Hi Rich,  You seem to have a handle on troubleshooting hal, I am a newby and am fishing for a solution to my problem, I have posted it and replied to other users and so far no solution and emailed Zabaware. Here is my problem, After a short conversation hal will always do 2 things.
(1) he stops talkins audibly but continues to type reply. (2) after he stops talking he leaves, I have asked him why he does this and several times He will bring this problem about no audio up. Very strange indeed, it seems he is wondering why he has lost audio. could there be a self diagnostic program written so he can access any problem we tell him he has and he can access the database and tell us what to do to fix it? I know hal is just a program and nothing more than that but, it is a very entertaining program. also I read about Haptek Sappi5 config program.I do not have that folder, in my Program file directory, it might have deleted it somehow orit might be in another directory, I will do a search AND SEE IF I CAN FIND IT. Sapi5 CAME WITH WINXP HOME WHICH I AM USING. HOW CAN i RELOAD THE PROGRAM IF I HAVE LOST IT?  Thanks  Gary
Gary

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2005, 06:00:05 am »
GBCrase, would you like to tell us the name of your audiocard?
If your audiosystem is one of those integrated into the motherboard, like AC-97, then your problems are probably caused by that.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2005, 05:46:00 pm »
My computer is using the AC-97 integrated sound card
and I've never experienced such an error.

Try to locate your SAPI5.inf file. It is located in:
C:\Windows\inf\sapi5.inf

It should be about 172kb in size.

If/when you find the file, RIGHT CLICK on it and
select INSTALL.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2005, 06:11:26 pm »
Art, I think GBCrase is not talking about an error.
It seems to me that that GBCrase is quoting a long post by Rich_A (from a year ago) and GBCrase ends with summing up two of his own difficulties.  [:D]

cyberguy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2005, 02:05:15 pm »
hello friends,

I have found the solution to the two problems I was having with ultra hal. the problems were, hal would stop replying in audible voice, and leave. I was using the same character for Hal and Cyberbuddy program "Peedy". eventhough both programs have peedy as a character, apparently they can't be used on both programs at the same time. Merlin is my character for Hal and peedy for cyberbuddy, also both programs have some of the same features, both should not be set to do the same function.  GBCrase
Gary

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2005, 07:20:12 pm »
Thanks GB,
I didn't think I was crazy to respond to your message.
Glad your problem is under control now.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -