Author Topic: Script takes longer than expected error  (Read 5506 times)

lostbowyer

• View Profile
Script takes longer than expected error
« on: September 04, 2003, 01:14:57 pm »
I'm running on a Sony picturebook, 600mhz 256mb ram. Using haptak figures in hal, I am getting a popup window while hal is processing a sentence. The popup reads "The Script is taking longer than expected to complete" There are 2 buttons beneath that which read, cancel and continue. If I hit continue, within a few seconds hal responds to my sentence. This is occuring every 4 or 5 minutes on my system.
If you leave open the popup hal will finally respond anyway and the popup goes away. Can the popup be disabled or the timeout extended?

Glenn

Forgot to mention I'm running XP proffesional
« Last Edit: September 04, 2003, 02:08:10 pm by lostbowyer »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2003, 02:53:15 pm »
Does this happen when you use a 2D character? I'm thinking maybe the graphics card on your laptop uses the main cpu instead of its own.
Robert Medeksza

lostbowyer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2003, 03:15:33 pm »
It's happening with a 2d character as well, at times I am experiencing up to a 41 second delay between hitting the enter key and receiving a response from hal. Performance is better with a 2d character, but still the occasional long delay. It usually occurs if a sentence has an "and" statement in it where hal has to consider both options.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2003, 08:06:16 pm »
Thats pretty long. Hal thinks about 7 seconds for me on a 500 mhz computer. Hal 5.0 should actually be a lot faster then Hal 4.5. Did Hal 4.5 run on this computer previously, and if so was it faster?

Can you time how long it takes Hal to respond to a few sentences and post the sentences and times here? (saying "hello", "how are you", "define computer" should be near instant) I'd like to try to guess what function of Hal is eating so much time for you.
Robert Medeksza

lostbowyer

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2003, 01:50:18 pm »
I ran 4.5 on this machine prior to the upgrade and I would occasionally get a 10-12 second delay.

Here are some questions withresponse times:

How are you                                         2 seconds
Could you define hot dog                            3 seconds
Do you like chocolate ice cream and hot fudge      16 seconds
What are you having for lunch                      10 seconds
Are you having potatoes and vegetables with dinner  9 seconds
Should we give the dog another biscuit             55 seconds
What is your name                                   1 second
How old are you                                     1 second
Where are we going after work                      26 seconds
Define telephone                                    3 seconds
Define a telephone                                  5 seconds

If you need more let me know
Glenn

wschuler

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2003, 10:26:41 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by lostbowyer

I'm running on a Sony picturebook, 600mhz 256mb ram. Using haptak figures in hal, I am getting a popup window while hal is processing a sentence. The popup reads "The Script is taking longer than expected to complete" There are 2 buttons beneath that which read, cancel and continue. If I hit continue, within a few seconds hal responds to my sentence. This is occuring every 4 or 5 minutes on my system.
If you leave open the popup hal will finally respond anyway and the popup goes away. Can the popup be disabled or the timeout extended?

Glenn

Forgot to mention I'm running XP proffesional

I'm having a similar problem on an older PC(pentium 300mhz, win98, compaq, 60mb ram).  It was taking over 1 minute in most cases.  I was literally walking out of the room to help with dinner and then coming back when I heard Hal respond.

I just finished installing Hal on a different, faster PC with win2k.  I'll post my results.

Bill

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2003, 07:46:03 am »
I too am having this pop-up box 'taking too long to execute' demanding 'cancel or continue' button press...

Any success in making this problem go away???

wschuler

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2003, 02:32:33 pm »
I installed HAL on "newer" Pentium 300 mhz (still straight pentium though), 135mb ram, WIN2k last night.  The response time was slightly better than the Compaq I wrote about earlier in this thread.  Still unacceptable for a normal user probably.  

I have a Pentium II laptop that I'm going to install HAL on next and see how that goes.

Bill

brianstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2003, 06:09:14 pm »

CatAtomic reporting-

Possible causes(?)-

you sed something about parsing the whole sentence- that seems consistent
with the response times given

-mebbe pare down the databases?

I have a killer graphics card that's going in the new computer, -I oughtta
install it and let you know response times before and after.
stay tuned...

No luck with SR- I know what it is- I may not have sapi5.x installed-
I can wait for the final release of 5.0 which oughta have all
the necessary stuff. I am figuring if I can have Dee Dee continue the
conversation between exchanges if she feels the need to, along with
the SR's 'auto push the button' capability, I oughtta be set!

What a great job on this Fusion of Technology into Hal!

Medeksza, you Rule!

wschuler

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2003, 01:27:12 pm »
I installed Hal on the Pentium II (can't recall the processor speed) laptop, 96mb RAM, Win2k.  It works much better.  The "Script takes longer" message still comes up occasionally.

And, for my last trick, I'm going to test Hal on a Pentium III laptop with 262(?) mb RAM.

midget1488

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2003, 09:09:40 pm »
Robert -

First, 5.0 is awesome. I first started with chatterboxes by re-writing John Reder's Omnibot to use MS Agents, but Hal 5.0 is is everything I could have asked for.

About the "longer than expected" pop-up. I use a Dell 2Ghz laptop w/high end graphics option. I encountered the pop-up twice this evening, using a haptar I created in PeoplePutty. FWIW, I was running on battery, which can cause the machine to run slower as I remember. I seem to remember many laptops having this "feature" to conserve battery life. I've never encountered the popup running on the adapter.

The pop-up is not particularly annoying, and seems to work fine.

Looking forward to the brain editor.

Thanks for a great product.

Doug

Morkeleb

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2003, 12:14:09 am »
Hello everyone, what size Virtual memmory page are you using it may not be big enough. My VM Page file is aout 763 mb.  I had 256 mb and it ran fine a about an average of 6 to 8 seconds on the Q/A I on have 64 Mb Video ram but the figures work ok except for the lack of lip syncing on some words. I have recently upgrade memory to 512 MB ram and I run XP Home on a Hp Pavilion using a 1.9 Ghz Intel Celeron CPU, have you defraged your hard drives recently that can slow things down on slower pc's. What size is your hard drives mine is 40 gig only. If you have and Intel CPU check at intels site they have a optimiser that increase's the speed of the read rite transfers to the hard drives, see if yours is compatable with it, it might help. If you use a laptop you cand disable the power save feature and it will improve on the performance at cost of bat life. I have yet to encounter the Time Out POP UP yet.
Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net