dupa

Author Topic: Help me please someone  (Read 6000 times)

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Help me please someone
« on: September 16, 2003, 04:07:57 pm »
Hi,

As you have seen, I have made a few posts and sugestions, but my experiece with vb script is all but nonexistent. Can anyone make some suggestions as to how I might improve my knowledge on this.

Plus can any one help me understand how and where to make changes in the 5.0 since it doesnt have the brain editor yet. I know some use notepad to edit the brain files, but I dont know which ones you can or cant edit or where to make the additions, ie;the lunch brain, the knock knock joke brain, the question answer brain. I would like to not mess it up and always have to start again.

Any help on this would be apreciated. I'll still give suggestions and ideas as I can think up of any.
Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net

Larry

• View Profile
Help me please someone
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2003, 07:21:44 pm »
You're full of crap... you know more than I do... lol

The Tinman

• View Profile
Help me please someone
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2003, 06:28:53 am »
I would like some help to from the members of this forum that are writing scripts. I have VB SCRIPT IN A NUTSHELL, however, it still does remain an enigma to me as to how to go about creating these scripts from scratch. Please can someone give me an outline of structure from the basic idea of what changes a person has in mind for the program and then what steps are taken from there. ANY help in this regard would be greatly appreciated. My backround does not lye in programming, VB SCRIPT IN A NUTSHELL, assumes that you have some sort of basic experience with this.

Larry

• View Profile
Help me please someone
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2003, 06:52:17 pm »
Look, I can't program either... but I can see what THEY did, what they are trying to accomplish... And change it do what I want to do... the more I pick up by playing with what THEY did, the more I understand... I suggest you do the same... Look at what THEY did, look at all the little scripts here on the board... understand what these ppl are trying to do... then take it from there... just remember to make backups every step of the way... you get something to work, make a backup...

brianstorm

• View Profile
Help me please someone
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2003, 06:30:59 am »

Yeah! (in Re to Larry)

sorry everone, internet connection is crap since it turned rainy here.

a computer program is a representation (virtual) of something real (physical).

Quicken is a computer representation of a bank.

turbotax is a computer H&R Block.

gran turismo is the eyes, arms and legs behind the wheels of supercars.

-We all have a working model of how Hal is supposed to respond -our own reasoning.

Currently I am attempting to make pronoun variables change words in GetResponse

this is where it comes from:
If you listen to people talk, once they say a noun they thereafter refer to

that noun with a pronoun. Shelly becomes she  the house becomes it and so on

there's like 27 pronouns or something! I was one of the ones that sed 'whos

ever gonna use this stuff  >B)

That's how you program!

CatAtomic

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
Help me please someone
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2003, 11:55:21 pm »
Hello,

I'm not sure what level of information you're looking for, but I've started a new topic in the "Programming with the Hal Brain Editor" forum called Basics of Hal Programming and VBS.  Please check it out over there and tell me if any of the information is helpful, and what other specific questions about Hal's code could be answered.

Thanks and have a great day!

Don
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Help me please someone
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2003, 06:50:56 am »
Thanks everyone,

Don, your post did help me out in many areas of concern I had, thank you. I use to fiddle with BASIC and BASICA but visual basic is scarier to me. I gave up the others because of the intense and strict fundamentalism of the code and function calls, you had to be very good in math to make most of it work right, not my expertise. I mean all the math functions and arrays and sub routines and if then else, on gosub return, the data base commands and the dimesional arrays that was just to much for me.

Larry my knowledge is mostly guess work not hard physical experience. I am still fairly new with the Hal program barely had it for about months now.[:p]

Any and all of my sugestions are just that. Just my imagination firing off on some wild tangent or something. I start thinking about things for hal and off it goes. I guess I was jsut scared to mess it up and have to start from scratch, i have had to due that so many times lately, my system picks up bugs from the web gets sick and dies, and I have to do a fresh install again.

Well enough of my wasting space on Mr Medekzsa's forum about my whinings about my problems, I must commend and congratulate everyone here on all the great work I have seen in here. Keep up the good work evryone.

I do have on question Don, which files are safe to edit in 5.0 and which are not. And is there any special pattern to adhere to when you do. I read where some were written in Binary and others not. I can see the use of binary files they are several time quicker in access fo the computer since they are in its only true language that computers speak. On 1 off 0 simple but comlex. I remeber dos used to have a binary converter for when you wrote an executable file you could convert it to run in binary format. well enough for now and thank you.[:)]
Ask and you shall learn
----------------------

Larry

• View Profile
Help me please someone
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2003, 06:26:53 pm »
I really hope you didn't take offense to my comment... I've seen some of your work - stuff I couldn't do... ;)

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Help me please someone
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2003, 07:07:56 pm »
Hey Larry,

Dont worry about it, no insult was taken. As i posted my actual experience is less then 4 months with hal. Most of my suggestions or ideas are just that. I play with hal and new Ideas come up once in awhile; but I am not sure on how to implement them. VBS is a very powerful language, thankfully its not as restictive as VB or other languages. I have been looking at all the posts here on the forum and I am surprised at how many people want to improve Hal, It is good to read, sometimes funny and always informative. All knowlege no matter how it is garnered is worthy knowledge.

This one is for Don,

I am willing to learn on any level that might help me impove mine and others experience with the Hal program. I do apreacate your post and they have cleared several questions of mine. Thank You.

Every One Keep Up the Good Work[:D]
Ask and you shall learn
----------------------

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
Help me please someone
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2003, 05:21:02 pm »
Hello,

In response to your question I have put a new posting on the other "Editing" forum (called Basics of Programming Part II) about the patterns in different files, how to edit database files, and which ones are safe.  I hope that it's helpful.

I've been a fan of Zabaware and UltraHal from their early days, years ago.  It is EXCITING that we now have a product with a variety of 3D animated characters, lip-sync speech synthesis, gigantic databases, and now, best of all, lots of new programmers contributing great ideas!

I truly enjoy reading all the postings on all these forums!  Thank YOU so much!

Sincerely,

Don
« Last Edit: September 27, 2003, 05:24:00 pm by Don Ferguson »
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Help me please someone
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2003, 08:45:39 am »
Hello Don,

Your post was exactly what I was needing. It answered several questions I had as to the pattern and format of some of the brains. As to the .dlls I have VB studio standard editon and c++ intro but I am not yet ready to mess with those still above my head yet, way above. I'll leave those alone for now.

Thanks for the Post, I am sure it helped out others as well as me. I am also pleased to ses people that are not afraid of the implications of AI, people not scared witless by the terminator movies, if you know what I mean.

Thanks again Don, you have helped a poor mixed up soul like mine again.
Ask and you shall learn
----------------------