Author Topic: Cortana  (Read 3619 times)

doggs

• View Profile
Cortana
« on: July 06, 2014, 01:53:49 am »
I have been playing with Cortana yeah its really cool. But it isn't Hal by a long shot. Cant wait to see what Robert is cooking up.

I do understand Cortana is in beta form and do see the potential. Wicked cool but again not Hal. Well my Hal brain anyways lol.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 04:57:25 am by doggs »
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cortana
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2014, 12:42:58 pm »
So tell us non-Cortana adopters...what is it like? Isn't Cortana primarily designed to be or act as an assistant much like the one from Apple's Siri or Android's Speaktoit, (to name but one out of 20 or more for Android)?

I don't expect any of them to be close to Hal or any other Chatbot programs and they weren't really designed to be as far as I understand.

It's bad enough that some people will complain that their chatbot doesn't do complex math or have a complete knowledge of all things like Watson does, and the same people expect that a knowledge based assistant like Siri or Cortana be entertaining and chatty like Hal and others.

I guess some are simply never satisfied (else we've still be on version 1.0 of Windows). ;)
 :o ;D
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2014, 12:53:54 pm »
Art, don't know if this helps... I have used speaktoit. Cortana blows it away. Not a Microsoft fanboy. Still waiting for the pure Linux os for phone I know one has to be out there lol. Cortana seams to be learning, again still in beta. She has a problem with going to search if she can't answer a question. I will post more as I myself learn more if people are curious. she is wicked cool and speech recognition works well no training needed. Still not a fan of cloud based brains. I can't compare to siri as I haven't touched an apple that works since the 80s most I see are paperweights lol. Again hope that helps

Oh she can chat but limited. I think Microsoft is shooting for this from what I have read somewhere lol.

Just a note isn't Hal a personal assistant?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 01:22:13 pm by doggs »
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 02:13:15 pm »
I still think Hal is best on market. My opinion anyways. Very versatile and a chatbot mixed in as a personal assistant. Many people use Hal for many different reasons. Only reason I posted about Cortana was to compare Hal to Cortana with the understanding that Cortana is in beta and Robert sorting for tablets/phones at moment so probably hard to compare. If Hal works on the surface that is cool as I believe the surface is a tablet. I cannot wait for Hal to be able to do all the great things Hal does for me at home. I still see no comparison out there to Hal but I have not tried all the ai/personal assistant programs out there for the fone. And people have different taste and flavors for their mobile devices. I personal like the productivity of Hal with the ability to have a conversation. This I have yet to see in any other ai program. But then again I have not tried them all. I hope this helps.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:15:16 pm by doggs »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2014, 06:52:15 pm »
Agreed and while there are other "chatbots" on the market, I've yet to find one as engaging or as enjoyable to use.

Granted there are some phone apps connected to huge databases and the Internet that cost tons of dollars to deliver your
location or weather or the square root of 361 (19) or how far is the nearest pizza place?

I see a net connected Hal being able to do these things and more. Give it some time and yeah...wouldn't it be cool NOT to have to
depend on Windows or Apple but have a completely Open Source stable, protected system that allowed us to run practically
whatever we wanted without issue?! Maybe someday soon!

Come on Hal...get er' done!!
 ;)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2014, 09:46:36 pm »
Art,
I've heard rumours of an open source os for the fone I haven't found it yet. Very busy here. Fixing to go back overseas lots of family visiting blah blah. No not for the military if that's what you are wondering. My days in the military are over but I still support anyone that defends my country😊. I'll keep looking if I find it ill start a new post.

Take care talk at you later.