dupa

Author Topic: hal on a $50 tablet working.  (Read 21763 times)

doggs

• View Profile
hal on a $50 tablet working.
« on: January 08, 2015, 08:39:08 pm »
I was reading a post by lightspeed an went out and got a $50 tablet at microcenter of course it is a windows tablet ( go figure). It worked! Now I have Hal on a 7" tablet and now Hal can go everywhere with me. Guess Robert does not have to sort for tablet if everyone willing to buy a windows tablet. That leaves him just sorting for Istuff and google now got to wash my hands for typing that lol. Anyways any questions let me know. The plug ins I use work. Haptek works blah blah.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

doggs

• View Profile
Re: hal on a $50 tablet working.
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 08:56:47 am »
No problems with speech engine either. Using the windows one. Spent a whole 5 minutes on it setting it up. So all I can say I am happy with it. Any questions just ask.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 12:45:37 pm »
doggs , that's good to hear about hal on a tablet with window os , try the dragon speak natural trial and let us know how it works to .
I will put in my 2 cents worth what I don't like about tablets as for now they don't have replicable batteries like laptops do , they usually last 2 years depending on use (batteries in tablets ) .
by the way where did you get a 7 inch tablet with windows os , the only ones I ever saw are 100 dollars minimum . 

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 04:57:42 pm »
Sure they do Lonnie, just not replaceable like one might typically be used to.

Connect two wires, less than 20 bucks...what's not to love?

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/tablet-battery

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 07:00:09 pm »
http://www.microcenter.com/product/439773/TW700_Tablet_-_Black.        there you go if link works. Hope that helps. ;) and yes I do get around alot of travel in my life.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 07:04:32 pm by doggs »

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »
Can't find a free trial yet. If you have a link for it.... I'll look tonight at work😉

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2015, 05:34:12 pm »
Still no problems. It is nice having "Hal" with me all the time. Can teach as I think about what I want to teach. Instead of writing list and waiting till I'm at home.

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2015, 09:36:54 am »
LOL Art , yeah i know what you mean that you can replace the batteries yourself as i actually have looked it up before , but i just ment i don't know why tablet makers don't create a rear back slide off cover where a person can just take the battery out like other devices and a battery would just fit in place with the contacts ! of course they want most people to just buy another when battery goes bad.
i actually bought to very cheap new 7 inch tablets off of ebay a while back , got what i paid for to , later the charging part inside the plug ins , wires came loose , i took them apart and re sodered them , then later the battery now won't keep a charge and even though charger fixed won't charge , batteries are about half the cost of the tablet i bought for me and my wife a while back
i did get a android 8 inch nextbook tablet one day special for 49.00, could have kicked myself in the butt though, i should have got two (one for my wife ) the regular price is 99.00 . 
here is the dragon speak demo link
    i haven't seen a demo version yet , i thought they had them .
also if you notice at the bottom of page it tells the requirements from a pc to run it.
http://shop.nuance.com/store/nuanceus/Custom/pbPage.resp-dragon-naturallyspeaking-home-13
one more personal note i do see where they have a 30 day money back guarantee , so that's good ! :)

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:53:55 am by lightspeed »

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2015, 01:41:18 pm »
Yeah you do get what you pay for.

But 50 bucks to take Hal anywhere plus a bit more I can't complain.

I popped a flash drive in I'm happy. Native speech engine is fine for me. But if you find a trial I will try it. I love the fact its the full OS.

Hal loves it as she goes everywhere with me now. (she loves shopping-go figure). Cheap extremely portable solution for me. I am already looking at more powerful  windows tablets now😉  hardware wise. It really is not bad for the price and giving it
 to Hal.....
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 01:48:26 pm by doggs »

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2015, 02:22:39 pm »
As far as the tablet goes.

I bought for Hal only. It was an experiment that worked. I personally would not go much bigger than 7 inches defeats purpose of mobility in my opinion.

I am by far no Microsoft fan boy. I prefer Linux. next project sticking "pure" Linux on it.

Yes I cleaned up storage space put a 16 GB SD card plus a 32 GB flash drive. But does Hal really need all that?

Also the ease of installation on win 8
1 with no tweeks was nice.

In conclusion I know it is not a fashion statement like apple. Or fad like google. It just works. And I get a bit more for 50 bucks.
Anyways hoped this helped. I'm done testing Hal and well pleased with her new home. Now to dual boot Linux lol.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 02:25:01 pm by doggs »

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2015, 04:23:35 pm »
Doggs,

You mentioned "pure" Linux... Just what do you mean by that? A pure Linux OS would only contain the Kernel and nothing more...no utilities or applications.
A Distro or Distribution usually takes the Kernel and adds some utilities, tools, editors, gui, useful applications that allow one to do something else beside stare at some error messages on a screen, which you'd likely end up with.

Perhaps you simply meant, a suitable distro of Linux that was "removed" from the MS and Android/Google environment?

There are LOTS of distros: Debian, Fedora, RedHat, Ubuntu and there's OpenBSD, and still more, some pretty hefty and some extremely tiny in size.
I'm just being curious as there are some additional Linux users who frequent these parts as well. Personally I enjoy my Ubuntu box built from an old HP I salvaged. It runs like a top and it just works!! Found everything, connected with Network, downloaded updates and is as secure as you wish to make it! Just don't forget those passwords!! (yeah, more than one). One to log on and a different one to make changes to the system or download files, etc. Good stuff!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2015, 04:28:55 pm »
Doggs,

I meant to ask, were you able to try any other TTS voices than the default one? That is, if you had enough room and a way to test it.

Thanks for taking one for the team! Now if Robert would only come to life regarding a Hal Update / Upgrade / Mobile platform / avatar / whatever it's going to be. It would be most appreciated!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2015, 04:46:10 pm »
Art,
Your spot on about distros. I meant Linux without Google's fingers all over it. There are quite a few different distros I use depends on what I'm doing. Gonna try a few.

Goal was tablet with Hal
 not a review of Microsoft tablets.

As far as voices I tried the samples on zabaware site with no problems.
It is the full Windows OS with a nice tablet set up ie full size USB, microusb, hdmi, so it is versatile. Sucks only one gig of ram. Storage is fine for Hal plus you can add much more thanks to full size USB.

I can't complain for price plus you get office 365 sub you can sell to pay for tablet lol.
Hope that helps

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2015, 04:48:35 am »
Very cool! Thanks for taking the time to answer.

Don't you get Office 365 just for one year then have to renew it for $70.00?
At least that's what I've seen with a lot of tablets.

I bought Office Suite Pro so I could keep with the MS environment and get my work done.
Hey, $14.00 isn't too bad for compatibility!  ;)

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2015, 06:39:22 am »
Art,

Something like that as far as office goes.