dupa

Author Topic: windows phone 10....  (Read 9048 times)

doggs

• View Profile
windows phone 10....
« on: February 24, 2015, 08:36:50 pm »
Okay bear with me here. 

just installed windows 10 preview on my phone(15 minutes ago)...remember it is only a preview.  So far able to download and view Hal files....but when I go to click the set up, tells me it is not a safe file and doesn't install. This tells me in future just might work.

i will keep you posted.

any windows phone users that don't mind a few bugs just might want to try this build looks like gonna shape up nicely. Any questions ask. I have mine installed on a Lumia 635.

lots of new interesting stuff. Cortana has changed a bit. She looks like she needs a few updates but again this is the first preview build.

hope this helps.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

doggs

• View Profile
Re: windows phone 10....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2015, 08:09:10 am »
Anyone watching this space?

okay lots of bugs but nice, this build supposed to be just core and to see if they could install on lower end phones (basicly) looking forward to next build hoping to put Hal on my phone soon.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 11:08:50 am »
Keep the updates coming. It would be nice to be able to take Hal with us.

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2015, 11:35:21 am »
Just an update,

I don't know if anyone keeping up with the news, but it is starting to look promising for Hal and windows phone. There is a catch. The phone will probably have to be a newer one coming out in the next release of phones with 10 due to hardware.

I have been extremely busy but I will keep updates coming as I find out.

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 06:58:21 pm »
More from the rumor mill. ( been away doing business sorry not keeping up to date).
The new higher end phones coming out with 10 soon will in theory be able to run Hal.
I need to beak down and buy one. Hal does run in all preview  of 10 on my tablet and laptop. Watch google get their butt kicked, slowly working that way. Also you will be able to install 10 on google devices and I know you can already install preview on apple. Be nice to have a choice on OS for your phone wether windows, Ubuntu, or google(why anyone would choose google is beyond me) but that is freedom. They are also mentioning something about installing apple phones as well. trying to watch tinzen but windows looks like best promise for Hal on a smartphone in present form.

Hope this helps,
Proud American veteran.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:05:30 pm by doggs »

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 09:56:33 pm »
Thanks for the continued updates doggs.

I'm happy about the tablet and laptop as well. I reserved my copies of Win 10 for my desktops starting with the July 29th release. Did notice they basically had a system for the releases including this Windows Logo in taskbar to reserve a copy. This option was embedded into an optional update for windows, I believe it is KB3035583. You should see GWX file within; windows/system 32/ GWX, which stands for; Get Windows 10.

I do not use a windows phone but looking forward to Windows 10 release and soon to follow the updates after July 29th which should show windows true colors. I don't think they want to drop the ball on this one.

raybe

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2015, 11:18:27 am »
Yeah raybe ,
soon it won't matter what phone you buy you will be able to flas windows 10 on it.
My mom hates her android phone and loves my old windows phone ( which has 10 on it) that I gave my dad. I told her to wait till the fall and she should be able to flash 10 on it.
Like I said the freedom to change OS on your phone will be nice. Yes I am still a Linux fan but it looks like windows might have a winner with 10.

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2015, 05:02:52 pm »
doggs, thanks for the reply. But just to be sure as I understand it that for phones Windows 10 will always be free? They just decided to do business ass usual for people with laptops or desktops. I know for free if meets the criteria but they still make it clear that if you eventually want to update its going to cost you. During these particular and open source times don't understand that logic. $200. for Pro vers. crazy in my opinion.

raybe

That was not a type error, above.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2015, 06:21:35 pm »
  A relative had hal on his computer, he brought the computer in to be cleaned from viruses and malware and  the Geek squad recommended he take it out, they don't like anything capable of writing to the compute.
Carl2

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2015, 07:10:56 pm »
I could understand concerns but after so much time and other programs I think UltraHal is the least of your relatives problems. Definitely agree that anything having access can also be backed door by third party even some plugins. But I just accept all the things I need to worry about when coming to computer security. Kinda worrying about getting your car stolen. If they target you there are things you can do for prevention but saying you are truly secure, I don't think so. In all my years I never heard of UltraHAl being a direct cause although we may never know. If they want you they will get you. My own opinion. I wouldn't rely on one persons opinion at Geek Squad. Have my computer looked at by other professionals at least 3x a year and never raised a flag to date. I'm not saying that the tech may be wrong because I'm always concerned about viruses or malware but take it all knowing the risks of today's technology. If they really feel threatened put UltraHal on a computer, tablet or phone your not worried about privacy. Everything and anybody is opened for security issues. Can't read about breeches fast enough. Don't ever use a credit card. The responsible thing is just make it as secure as you can and or afford. A part of the landscape. Thanks Carl2.

raybe

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2015, 05:09:23 am »
What?! "Don't ever use a credit card?"

How would one function in these times without using one? Everything and practically every transaction is done electronically.

It comes down to weighing security for convenience. Imagine waiting for a part for days and days until the check clears. Oh yes, then someone will then have access to your Bank name, routing number, account number and check number for the sequence.

Or you could stuff real money into an envelope and hope no one detects and opens it before it gets to the seller.

Like it or not, it's the way the world turns unless you live off the land and use barter, at which point the whole issue about electronic devices becomes moot.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

lightspeed

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2015, 11:23:03 am »
Art , still barter , i'll trade you a mule (being nice here ) for a politician ... oh never mind that's basically a same trade lol!
yeah it's hard not to pay for some stuff with a credit card .

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2015, 06:12:14 pm »
Calm down everybody. I was being sarcastic because we have been on line and not secured of the usage for credit cards since they have been first made.

Okay so it wasn't that clear. Sorry, I was just making an additional comment about security without being too sarcastic with Carl2 who I like as a long time member.

Just to add we should post separately, security is not a part of this thread.

Thanks,
raybe

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2015, 08:14:48 pm »
Well, it could be...heh...

They do have those sneaky little RFID / locator chips embedded inside the ever-so-slim credit cards.

I once had a shirt on that my wife purchased from a local store and as I walked INTO a drug store, the theft alert alarm went off.

I explained to the clerk that I thought most alarms of that type were supposed to sound as a potential thief was going OUT of a store not INTO one.

He then looked at my (new) shirt I was wearing then asked me, "Did your wife buy that shirt at Kohl's?"

I told him that she had indeed bought it there.

He proceeded to inform me that the shirts (along with lots of their items) had a small "tag" that was an RFID tag that set their alarms off practically every time someone came into their store.

I searched the shirt after I got home and though I didn't find any tag, it could very well have been sewed into a hem somewhere.

The reason for the store to do this is still somewhat vague to me as it couldn't report back demographic information (that I know).

Security & privacy...not too much left it seems.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2015, 05:08:25 am by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2015, 12:44:56 pm »
As far as upgrading 10 on a pc or tablet etc. You will get a free upgrade tto 10 that is ... For 7 and above. It will be free if you upgrade in the first year. If you don't belive me do a quick internet search. Not sure if it will cost any thing(probably will) to turn your android phone or iPhone to a windows  OS. Bing is slowly taking Google's market share for search engines. If I am not mistaken you can already put Cortana on your android and istuff. I don't use either so couldn't tell you from experience.

Anyways, hope that helps.