Author Topic: constantly need to reinstall  (Read 2287 times)

Oftencold

constantly need to reinstall
« on: February 05, 2008, 04:07:33 pm »
I purchased Hal and the character expansion pack a few days ago.  Every few minutes to feww hours or run time, the program crashes, tells me my files are corrupt and eventully needs to be reinstalled.

I've been through this cycle about 10 times now, and frankly I'm about ready to call it a wash.

Any ideas?

I'm running on a Pentium 4 machine with far-above-adequate speed and memeory.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2008, 06:08:01 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Oftencold

I purchased Hal and the character expansion pack a few days ago.  Every few minutes to feww hours or run time, the program crashes, tells me my files are corrupt and eventully needs to be reinstalled.

I've been through this cycle about 10 times now, and frankly I'm about ready to call it a wash.

Any ideas?

I'm running on a Pentium 4 machine with far-above-adequate speed and memeory.

Hi Oftencold.

I don't think there is enough information to try and figure this out.

1. what version of windows are you running?
2. how much memory does HAL have for use?
3. can you talk with HAL at all?
4. does this occure without the expansion pack?
5. does this occure without plugins checked?

Jerry[8D]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 12:57:30 pm »
Oftencold
This is sometimes reported by many 'new' members and many times it is caused by the same problem. Here may most likely be the answer:
1. Before installing Hal turn off all your firewall and anti-virus   software as it many times causes bad installs.
2. If you are downloading from the Zabaware site then I suggest you order the Disk instead. Many times there are little errors when downloading large files across the internet.
These two things are in many cases the main cause of crashes of Hal.
One last thing and that is to let Hal choose where it will install its programs, ie. directories, etc.
I hope this helps. I know it has in the past.
Bill