Author Topic: New Trial User w Suggestions  (Read 3469 times)

Cura

• View Profile
New Trial User w Suggestions
« on: July 26, 2008, 06:16:32 pm »
I have been fiddling with Ultra Hal for a few days now and thought I would share my observations.

First, as a chatterbot Hal is really quite amazing.  Certainly it is not difficult to remember that I am just chatting to a machine, but as far as these go (and for the limited time I've been using it) this one is really well done.

As far as being a desktop assistant.  I have not yet had the chance to use voice recognition (though I am excited to try it out) but the recalling of phone numbers and events seems to be kind of hit and miss right now.  It is handy that you can edit the events calendar yourself though and from the help menu it looks like you can do the same with the phone book though that option does not appear in the menu of the free trial.

Opening programs also seem a little hit and miss.  If the program name is simple, it seems Hal can do it.  If it's a little more complex he is generally unable to do anything with it.  If there happens to be a website link in the named program's folder, hal invariably opens that instead.

Given all of this, I can certainly see the amazing potential of Hal.  It's what I always dreamed a computer could be.  At the same time, for Hal to be of real, immediate use I would humbly suggest a few additions;  Most importantly allowing Hal to import address book info either from email clients directly or manually through an exported address book file (most of the common clients easily export a standard file for this.)  I would think it quite essential for Hal, as an office assistant to be able to do this.  Email clients have been using these kinds of standards for quite some time now.

As with the address book and the phone book, you should be able to manually edit a program list for Hal so that, if he is having difficulty finding a particular program you would like him to run, you can specifically enter the full path of the .exe in question as well as enter in a standard real language phrase that Hal would listen for as his cue to open that program (much like you have with the phone book editor).

You seem to have hall set up to access US weather, providing a generic link field that would allow Hal to access weather and/or news from user-defined sources would also be very handy.

many of these features really ought to have been standard on Hal from the start and adding these, I feel, is quite essential if Hal is to be anything more than an entertaining toy. I would definitely consider purchasing Hal if I knew that these things would find their way into my purchase very soon.

Just my $.02

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:17:39 am »
First, Welcome to the forum!!
Voice recognition has come a long way in the past decade. It's almost 97 percent IF some of the following conditions are used:

1. Good noise dampening microphone.
2. Environment with low to little background noise (none = better)
3. Speak with a calm, direct voice as if you were talking to a dog a small child (no offense to people who have either).
4. Make sure you have microphone and sound levels properly set.
5. Be sure you have completed several MS Voice training sessions.
6. Keep the mic near the corner of your mouth about 1 inch or so away from your face. (this avoids abnormally loud perception of T & P sounding words by the mic.)
This latest version of Hal 6.1 uses tables and a database format for storing certain information and data. A lot of Hal's features are in the form of what we call Plug-ins...small segments of code that, when called upon, execute a function then return to the background, all internally.

There are a number of plug-ins available for Hal such as:
AI Address Book
AI Appointment Book
Date Plug-in
Free Will Choice & Profile - allows Hal to make a decision between two choices.
Gender - user can assign male, female, no gender, age
Google Search
Loneliness - still experimental for now - allows Hal to speak if ignored by user for too long.
Run Programs by Name
USA Weather - user has 3 choices (Accuweather, CNN & Weather.com) + user can enter their local ZIP code.

These plug-ins are available for free. Some are built in already.

There you go. Hope this helps answer some of your questions and uh...get your wallet out![8D]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Cura

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2008, 12:32:19 pm »
Thank you for your reply.  I spent a bit of time looking at the plugins in a little more depth and I can see now where the email, address and phone books can be manually entered which is extremely helpful and makes this already a fairly valuable tool. The one thing that is still missing, which I feel is quite essential, is an alteration to the 'run program' plug-in that allows for manual entry of the full program path should Hal not be able to find the path on his own.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2008, 01:07:36 pm »
Cura,

"The one thing that is still missing, which I feel is quite essential, is an alteration to the 'run program' plug-in that allows for manual entry of the full program path should Hal not be able to find the path on his own."

I agree this would be a nicer approach.

In case you aren't aware, any of the .uhp files can be opened / viewed with a text editor (they are simply structured text files).
I took OTCE's recommendation and now use Crimson Editor (Free). Lots of great features and displays line numbers (similar to when you open the UltraHal Brain Editor).

BTW, Always make a backup copy of the halbrain.db file if you are going to tinker with Hal's brain via the editor. You'll thank me later![8D]

Check the forum for Hal's wish list or things you'd like to see in the next version.

All the best!

- Art -

caangel43

• View Profile
    • http://www.puttyheadworld.com
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 02:31:24 pm »
I dont know of the run program plugin where can I find it

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2008, 08:41:56 pm »
It was from Robert Medeksza.
Put it in your UltraHal 6 folder.
Next time you go to Options > Brains, you should see it.

Download Attachment: runprograms.uhp
1.47 KB

- Art -