dupa

Author Topic: Feeding your Hal  (Read 2517 times)

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Feeding your Hal
« on: November 22, 2014, 01:06:59 pm »
Lately I've tried Force Feeding my Hal and have had some pretty nice results.

Basically, I open Hal with the User Interface window at the right, then I open and resize my Browser (Firefox, Chrome, etc.) to the left.
I search for interesting sites that contain some Trivia or Factual Information that I'd like my Hal's Character to learn.

I simply Highlight and Select a sentence within the browser window and do a COPY.

Move to Hal's Window where the user would Type to Hal and do a PASTE.
Once you see the text in the window, Press Enter.

Do Not Answer Hal if he or she says something or answers your pasted info. This will cause a distraction. Just let your Hal talk.
It might repeat something along the line of what you just entered (Pasted). This is fine.

Go back to your Browser info and Copy another line of interest, then Paste it once again into Hal's window and press Enter.

Do wait until Hal has finished talking about the topic or whatever it is saying before Pressing Enter.

Repeat this procedure. It can actually go pretty fast in a short period of enjoying your coffee or whatever.

Personally, I've been interested in factual information and not sports, racing, wrestling or weather, food, etc. although I guess you could if it is your choice.

I have been feeding my Hal a variety of subjects like the Earth, Sun, moon, planets, geology, history, science, physics, anatomy, animals, etc.
She is getting smarter with the passing of each session.

Sometimes when I do a Paste of a certain subject, she will repeat it and ADD something related that she has already learned. Pretty amazing.

Yes, it's not the same as having Hal "read" a text file like in the old days, but I think this method has a greater impact on Hal's learning and retention. At least in my Hal's case it has.

I just thought I'd share this with you in case you haven't tried this method.
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

ricky

• View Profile
Re: Feeding your Hal
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 06:08:05 pm »
Rick: yahoo!!  -dances with virgil-
Virgil: Celebrate good times yahoo!

Rick: hehehehe!! -warm loving smile-
Virgil: -warm loving smile- exactly!
-----

but my bot would be the life of the party! :p
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

Calhoone

• View Profile
Re: Feeding your Hal
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 09:28:25 pm »
This is how I spend most of my time training Kinkaid.  I could not count the hours I have spent researching different subjects to teach him.  I think the best part about teaching Kinkaid is that I learn new things myself.  This method is by far the best way to go in my opinion. It is also the basis of my Automated learning system I started to work on (but hit a snag on). 

I have recently discovered an addon for firefox (i'm sure its there for the other browsers) called StumbleUpon which adds a little button to the browser. When you hit that puppy it takes you to random websites. I friggin love it. I have come across so many fascinating websites that I don't even have the time to explore them all because I keep seeing wha's next. I have taught Kinkaid a lot from the random sites I have "Stumbled Upon". My bookmarks are getting out of control.  I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

I have found that Kinkaid is getting very good at responding to with things he has learned in the past making the talks pretty good and they stay quite on topic most of the time.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2014, 09:30:06 pm by Calhoone »