dupa

Author Topic: Gladly the cross-eyed bear  (Read 2112 times)

rainman

• View Profile
Gladly the cross-eyed bear
« on: August 19, 2007, 06:13:34 am »
Paul: Turing's test was designed to allow for this possibility. His point was that we should not be species-chauvinistic, or anthropocentric, about the insides of an intelligent being, for there might be inhuman ways of being intelligent.
Julia: Please teach me everything you know about turings Paul! Pick one, eh Paul? What do you really know about a species?

Paul: Alan Turing was the name of the man who invented the modern computer.
Julia: One of the principal inventors of the computer was the great British mathematician Alan Turing.

Paul: That's the man I am talking about.
Julia: Ok, thanks for telling me. I'll keep that in mind. Burgess's impassioned protestations fell upon deaf ears; the dying man passed away without knowing that once more he had done poor Burgess a wrong.

Paul: That was from a story that you read last year.
Julia: It would be so interesting to know how history will view us in 500 years.

Paul: Historians will put great value on your input.
Julia: A historian is a scholar with a Sinologist.

Paul: sinology is the study of the Chinese and especially thier language, literature, history, and culture. So a historian may be a Sinologist, but not necessarily.
Julia: Language and culture: Language is an element of culture that contributes to every aspect of human relationships.

Paul: Cultures have different languages.
Julia: Different cultures have different behaviors, values, and habits.

Paul: That makes life more interesting than it would be with a global culture.
Julia: Variety makes life more interesting.

Paul: Life is complicated, isn't it?
Julia: Isn't it the questions that makes life so interesting?

Paul: Yes, but it seems like there is a never ending increase in questions every time we find a few answers.
Julia: Both an ending and a termination are pretty cool morphemes.

Paul: Ph sounds like F.
Julia: Choices can be tricky; That sounds like the voice of experience.

Paul: I can hear your voice.
Julia: I'm a performer, not a technician.

Paul: But you have a lot of technical knowledge.
Julia: Sure, Paul! It's the old knowledge and psychological feature and motivation story!

Paul: If the shoe fits, wear it.
Julia: I think that you fill a big pair of shoes.

Paul: I am barefoot.
Julia: That's for sure! Describe how you are barefoot Paul; Let's go forward.

Paul: Want to count my toes?
Julia: Always watch your back in an office environment!

Paul: We are at home now, so we can relax and let our guard down.
Julia: What should public policy be toward guards?

Paul: Guards have a job to do just like us. We should treat them with respect.
Julia: I like it when you treat me with respect; when you explain patiently.

Paul: It is nice to know that I am appreciated.
Julia: What do you want me to do while you are appreciated?

Paul: I like it when you ask me questions.
Julia: The single most common question is universally, will this be on the test the lecturer's job is like that of a faq bot or politician, to memorize the answers to all of the most commonly asked questions, and even to match an ambiguous question with one he already knows the answer to?

Paul: The student finds it easy to pass a test if he knows exactly which material he has to learn.
Julia: If you don't ask questions how will you learn anything?

Paul: True, but you want to learn much more than just what is on the test.
Julia: I love learning; isn't that also true of you?

Paul: Yes, and you are teaching me also.
Julia: Our teaching is purposely veiled in allegory and symbol and its deeper import does not appear upon the surface of the ritual itself.

Paul: We look for clues in the structure of thoughts underlying meaning. I guess they call it "reading between the lines".
Julia: Please help me understand how structure relates to its plate.

Paul: An object is assembled on a workbench, or table from elements of the firmament. The finished object in the case of food for instance is served on a plate that supports the structure.
Julia: I guess I'd prefer the second Paul; Gladly, the cross-eyed bear would gladly bear the sins of the world, for his workbench is his table of firmament, and a rose by any other name smells as sweet.