dupa

Author Topic: to medeksza and don ferguson  (Read 3351 times)

dgher1

• View Profile
to medeksza and don ferguson
« on: August 14, 2003, 12:23:28 am »
is the scripting that has been post here going to be in the new hal.like knock knock and can we join the mean uhp and default uhp to make hal a good program i think this would be neat . or can we joint every thing to one .uhp because i see differnt things in brains.uhp

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2003, 01:14:19 am »
Hello,

From corresponding with Robert Medekzsa, I believe that version 5.0 is going to be by far the most ambitious upgrade of Hal yet, and I think you'll really like it.  The databases will be much larger, you'll have more customization controls, and I understand that Zabaware will include compatibility with the Haptek player, which provides real-time lip-synchronized 3-D character capability.  

I've been a beta-tester of the Haptek functionality, and I can tell you that when their characters make eye contact with you and speak, it's spooky!

On the other hand, I doubt that the all the latest code suggestions, such as the knock-knock you mentioned, will be in 5.0.  In order to get the release out, it has to be "frozen" at some point in time so that the features can be tested and de-bugged.

I'm a Hal fan and Hal customer just like you; I learned VBS coding because I wanted to get certain features in my own copy of Hal, and I've contributed code to Zabaware.  I strongly encourage other code-writers to create alternate versions of Hal's brain; my impression is that Zabaware welcomes additional functional brains contributed for posting on their plug-ins page.

The two techniques that I have found most helpful for learning the code and creating alternate brains are the following:

1.  Make a safety-backup copy of Hal's brain in a separate folder for safe-keeping.  Then, run Hal in one window, while studying and making MINOR modifications to the script in the brain-editor window.  After each small modification, "talk" to Hal and see how Hal responds.  If you get an error message, undo your last change.  By doing this, anyone can gradually learn to understand the code, what it does, and how to write new code.  Yes, it's tedious, but it's rewarding.

2.  I really like the reference book "VBS in a Nutshell" which I've described in previous postings and responses (search this site for "Ferguson" for those postings).  Although it's an intimidating book at first, the second half of the book contains a list of every possible function and command in the VBS language.  It's worth getting through it to understand VBS.

Hal has already grown to be so complex that most users never discover even 10% of Hal's capabilities.  From observing dozens of users, I notice that most of them interrogate Hal, insult Hal, or proposition Hal, but they don't try to say a variety of interesting things as if they were having a natural conversation.  Hal is designed to be non-deterministic in many ways, which means that he will "get stubborn" when a user keeps hammering away at a narrow range of questions.  Hal can really say a lot more than it may appear.  Try making realistic COMMENTS (not questions) about stars, earthquakes, politics, global warming, health, sports, men, women, the weather, corporations, dogs and cats, jet aircraft, ancient history, elephants, religion, skiing, taxes, umbrellas, and as many other things that you can think of.  Hal contains surprises... Hal has more to give!

As far as combining the "mean" brain and the "default" brain, etc., these brains share some of the same databases; they exist as separate brains to allow the user to get Hal to assume a different "attitude."  In a way, they're already "combined" because they share some routines; they're different on purpose to create a choice.

Because each recent new release from Zabaware has improved the efficiency of Hal's internal routines and streamlined some functions, I've found that when a new release gets near, I'm better off waiting to write major new code until I see the new release, so I can be compatible with the structure of the latest Zabaware brain.

I am sure that you are looking forward to the beta testing of 5.0, and I am looking forward to it also.  

Sincerely,

Don

P.S.  I especially appreciate reading brief transcript samples of conversations with Hal... it helps provide a sense of how previous improvements have been working out.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2003, 01:32:14 am by Don Ferguson »
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

dgher1

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2003, 02:43:08 am »
yes ilove hal too and you have wrote good scripts  and some of the forum members have wrote them too. it would be good to see them in mybe next ver. or if you write it. it will great. so keep the good work. and lets make smarter and funny too. i have 4.5 ver. full