Author Topic: Animated head project I have been working on.  (Read 3422 times)

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
Animated head project I have been working on.
« on: September 05, 2014, 12:52:06 pm »
Some of you might be interested in this project I am working on (mentioned in another thread). In a nutshell I import a Daz3D figure, chop the head off and then animate it.

I just put a video up on YouTube here : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9feCLs-_7I

There's also a topic on AiDreams here going into a bit more detail : http://aidreams.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=6913.0

Whether I can get this into something usable with Hal is another thing entirely. I'm not sure where I am going with it. I have my own bot/assistant I am working on too and it will definitely be part of that. The question is if I can get it to be standalone in the way Haptek is. Also there's the licensing issue - I can't distribute Daz3D models, well apart from if I got some kind of deal, but I don't think I want all that hassle and expense.

But I could maybe do something like a tutorial on how to make the models but that's quite complex.

Anyway I am rambling.

lightspeed

• View Profile
Re: Animated head project I have been working on.
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2014, 09:36:45 am »
Very cool freddy , I thought about some of the daze character heads and making them into skins for hal but never did !

Calhoone

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 12:05:54 pm »
That's very good! I definitely would like to check out your bot some time.  It would be nice if we could get something like that working with Hal.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2014, 09:27:19 am »
Good stuff Freddy. Yes, that is quite an undertaking in itself but then again, if it were easy, everyone would be doing it!! ;)
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 10:09:49 am »
  I've been watching Freddy's work, very interesting and seems to be coming along fine.  Haptek is missing the collision detection ( a hand can go into the body),   the joints in the legs could work better,  and one of the largest problems is the low Poly count.  I keep wondering if it's possible to increase the poly count to get a smoother curved surface.  I think it's called the wire mesh.
Carl2

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 01:41:26 pm »
Yep, more polygons = smoother mesh = longer render time = slower performance = disappointed users.

So like most things, there is a trade off. :(

In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -