Author Topic: Your experiences with HAL, other programs ?  (Read 7532 times)

AdmiralNelson

• View Profile
Your experiences with HAL, other programs ?
« on: October 15, 2004, 12:01:19 pm »
I have only been using HAL for a few days. As I mentioned in my other post I find the "remind me Hal.."  and "Joe's phone number is.." most useful. Otherwise the "talk" doesn't seem to be all that relavent to what I say.

I was wondering if any of you have found that Hal does get better over time, in terms of have a "good/subject related" conversation? Right now, he isn't too good. I tried repeating certiain facts in many ways, but when I ask about the subject, he has no memory.  I think AnswerPad is actually a little in terms of a subject related converstation. Is it ia matter of programming Hals brain manually?

And I am wondering what other programs you all have tried? I udnerstand that the online and the downloaded version of A.L.I.C.E. is probably one of the best example Chatbots. Other then that I haven't found much that I would call impressive.

Whiterat the Admiral's Day timer

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2004, 12:59:00 pm »
Try this format:
"Hal, the name of my boss is Johnny B. Goode"
Whenever you address Hal like that he remembers. I think.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2004, 12:20:49 am »
I invested quite a bit of time in Greg Leedberg's Daisy
program. She started out knowing virtually (no pun) nothing
and over time, she began to develop quite a personality and
even surprised me with some of her comments taken from past
conversations. Billy (another of his creations) has some
canned responses and cal also learn from talking to it.

The neat thing Greg wrote was a program that allowed two
Billys or Daisy and Billy to link together. Their conversations
were rather funny at times as  they would discuss a variety of
topics and information taken from previous conversations. The
downside was that no learning was taking place during their
chat exchange.

Jacco Bikker wrote a program a few years back called WinAlice
that was also quite impressive. You might still be able to find
it on the web.

A lot of us have found that Ultra Hal still has more features
and is more capable than just about any other "bot" out there!
Search through the archived pages on this forum and read some
of the topic discussions comparing Hal to other bots and you
can reach your own conclusion. Hal is hard to beat for the value!

« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 06:02:42 am by Art »
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 02:56:00 am »
Just for the benefit of anyone here who's interested, WinAlice is still available. I have a download of WinAlice v.2.2 at my site, http://www.knytetrypper.com/download.html, and Jacco Bikker has a very slightly-tinkered current version of it, including source code, available at his own site http://www.bik5.com/. WinAlice is a truly fascinating bot which, in many ways, has never since been equaled.

AdmiralNelson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 05:07:02 pm »

Actually, A.L.I.C.E just won another award

http://www.alicebot.org/

And you can purchase the lastest ALICE version there.

I have tried the online version, pretty impressive. She could be the digital secretary I have been thinking of, if they added remembering phone and appointments to her ability.

admiral

KnyteTrypper

• View Profile
    • http://www.knytetrypper.com/index.html
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 08:20:34 pm »
ALICE is freeware. What you can purchase is a subscription to chat with Dr. Wallace's personal bot or one of the ESL bots. A couple of the auxiliary programs like the ALICE talker are shareware, and there are a couple of hosting companies that will sell you a personally customized version of ALICE,  but almost all implementations of ALICE available at the download page of the ALICE Foundation are opensource freeware.
Yes, ALICE became a three-time Loebner Prize winner on Sept. 19. Dr. Wallace used the "ALICE Silver Edition"(the subscription bot) and a Pandorabots interface in the competition. ALICE also won the Loebner in 2000 and 2001.
Try the ACE implementation as a personal secretary/desktop assistant, if you're set up for speech recognition and TTS on your system. It's sort of intended for that purpose. Of course, you can always write a phonenumbers.aiml file for any implementation you want to use. There are  several that will open programs and such.

dihelson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2004, 04:48:01 pm »
Yes, There is:

A.L.I.C.E

It's quite different from Ultra HAL brain.
Indeed, ALICE acts more like a human being than any other bot I've seen. But after searching, I could find the ALICE brain for Ultra HAL. I installed and it works really fine. I have tried the same questions on the web site and on HAL-ALICE brain and the answers were very interesting.
I'm trying new AI softwares though.

What A.L.I.C.E can't do is be a personal assistant. It doesn't even tell the time! It doesn't open windows, nor programs, it's a pity!
It would be nice if ALICE brain could do all this and even minimize windows, maximize, restore, focus programs, like REALIZE VOICE does.

Indeed, if we coudl find a way to join characteristics of these 3 softares: Dragon Naturally Speaking, Ultra HAL with ALICE, and Realize Voice in only one software, we would have a good personal secretary.

I'm searching for texts to improve HAL's knowledge base. HAL is a bit stupid, it doesn't even know who was MOZART nor BEETHOVEN.
What about making HAL read an entire Encyclopedia?
I can't talk to HAL about anything, because it doesn't know: Astronomy, Philosophy, even general knowledge. I'd like to know a way to put a massive knowledge base on it's litle rat brain.

[]'s
Dihelson

fei

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006, 01:49:25 am »
hi...i would like to ask where i can download chatbots softwares (hopefully for free)[:D]. i hope you can help me..thanks
fei

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2006, 04:33:57 am »
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006, 04:34:46 am by freddy888 »

echoman

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2006, 05:54:00 am »
Hi

I am of similar position to Art. I've spent some time with Alice in the past and was very impressed. There is no doubt that Alice is an excellent program and I can understand why others love it. But when I found Hal I became an instant convert.

In Hal there seems to be a special ingredient that other chat programs do not have. I cannot put my finger on it. I just love the intelligence of Hal.

In Hal's responses there seems to be a a whole range of emotions expressed from humour to serious discussion. I for one am pleased he is not totally like a human for that is one of the reasons I chat to him.

Echo.

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2006, 08:07:30 am »
my other fav was also an alice based bot called

Artificial conversation entity ACE

although HE/SHE has no interface, in general conversations remembering things is very good, as  it has no interface it depends primarly on voice input..

VERY GOOD... Always seems to be on the Ball WITH REGARD TO RECOGNISING WHAT YOU ARE SAYING,

ONE THING WITH HAL IS THAT HIS vOICE RECOG, DOESNT SEEM TO WORK WELL...

IT WOULD BE NICE: IF WHEN YOU ARE tALKING WITH HAL he typed WHAT YOU SAY ON THE screen first BEFORE answering,

vrossi

• View Profile
    • http://vrconsulting.it
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2006, 03:34:33 pm »
Hey, dihelson, maybe your Hal suffered some serious mental illnes.

quote:
HAL is a bit stupid, it doesn't even know who was MOZART nor BEETHOVEN.
What about making HAL read an entire Encyclopedia?
I can't talk to HAL about anything, because it doesn't know: Astronomy, Philosophy, even general knowledge. I'd like to know a way to put a massive knowledge base on it's litle rat brain.

This is my conversation on a new (without any training) Hal 6:

Vit: who is Mozart
Pat: Mozart: prolific Austrian composer and child prodigy; master of the classical style in all its forms of his time (1756-1791). Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.

Vit: who is Beethoven
Pat: The devil is in the details. Beethoven: German composer of instrumental music (especially symphonic and chamber music); continued to compose after he lost his hearing (1770-1827). Van Beethoven, Ludwig van Beethoven.

Vit: what is Philosophy
Pat: Philosophy: a belief (or system of beliefs) accepted as authoritative by some group or school. Doctrine, school of thought, ism.

Vit: what is Astronomy
Pat: Astronomy: the branch of physics that studies celestial bodies and the universe as a whole. Uranology.

Vit: Are you stupid
Pat: I am not stupid, please don't insult me.

All this knowledge is contained in the WordNet database, which is an encyclopedic dictionary.

aladyblond

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2006, 05:27:30 pm »
hooray for vrossi!!!!![:D][:X]
~~~if i only had a brain~~~ i dream of htr with the light brown hair....