Author Topic: How do I "Properly shutdown" Hal  (Read 4560 times)

agent036

• View Profile
How do I "Properly shutdown" Hal
« on: March 30, 2005, 01:55:37 am »
I do not want Hal to boot on computer start up. However if i set Hal not to it complains that it was improperly shut down the next time I boot, and EVERY BOOT THEREAFTER till I finally give in and set him to boot on startup. Is there anyway to NOT boot Hal on Startup and avoid him claiming to be improperly shut Down? He always wants me to redo the settings but they are never damaged or changed. I don't know what to do.

I'm ruinning Hal 5 Free Version

-jason

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2005, 02:07:28 am »
the best way is to Exit via the menu....

when logging off of your computer hal is shut down by the taskmnager. this is another good way.

If your system crashes or you have a power interuption then HAL detects improper shut down....

Holllywood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2005, 07:07:21 am »
I have the same problem. I always exit through the menu,but the next time I boot I get that "Improper shutdown" messg. I've gotten so use to it now, I just ignore it. But there should be away to get out of the prog. properly.

Still Trying,Still Listening,Still Learning.
Hollywood

FuzzieDice

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2005, 09:22:02 am »
Here are the steps I've found seems to work to avoid this problem:

1. Right Click on HAL Icon in system tray, Select General Options, then go to the Startup Tab. Select "I want HAL to start like a normal program from the start menu..." Click OK.

2. Right Click on the HAL Icon in the system tray again, select "exit HAL".

3. *** IMPORTANT STEP *** Click on Start Menu, go to Programs (Win98) or All Programs (XP), Startup menu. You'll see "Ultra Hal Assistant Startup". Click and Drag it to any other folder (like the Ultra Hal Assistant) in your Start Menu's Programs (or All Programs) folder. This should move this particular file.

*** NOTE: XP users may have to RIGHT CLICK on the start menu, select "Explore All Users" and find it in either the "All Users" or your username Start MenuProgramsStartup as just moving it may (or may not) still cause conflicts depending on where the shortcut was actually located.

4. Reboot. You should no longer get a message about a problem with shutdown.

What's happening is, while the icon in the tray isn't supposed to start, it's still starting because it's in the Startup menu.

agent036

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2005, 02:28:41 pm »
That didn't work for me. Hal does no apear to be in my startup folder, none the less I get the nag about being improperly shut down every time I boot.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2005, 06:05:29 pm »
I use a program called "codestuff starter" (You can find it by using Google) and unchecked Ultrahal from starting. It is possible that it is still in the startup registry.

msconfig may work, too. I don't get "improper shutdown" errors that often now.[:p]
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

FuzzieDice

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2005, 08:10:55 pm »
You might be able to do that by typing 'msconfig' (without quotes) in the Start Menu's RUN box, then click the 'startup' tab and find Ultra Hal Assistant, and uncheck that. Then reboot. That also might be something you could try.

rayle88

• View Profile
    • http://livingwithdisabilities.bravehost.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2005, 09:38:14 am »
Using Misconfig worked for me, when you have rebooted you will get a warning about the change, don`t forget to put a tick in the box to prevent the warning every time you startup.