Author Topic: trouble with piece of craft SR- canyon halp?  (Read 6170 times)

brianstorm

• View Profile
trouble with piece of craft SR- canyon halp?
« on: September 04, 2001, 02:28:51 pm »
Recently, I purchased a copy of L&H voice eXpress due to my frustration with
the 'piece of kraft' EvilEmpire SDK4.0 . The new speech engine works fine but does not work with my uHAL assistant (Dee Dee). When I attempt to select use SR
in the general options, a number of error codes are generated. RC80040206,
E_FAIL and unspecified error are displayed in boxes. Then uHAL pops up a box that says it is disabling the SR. please help
  Just wanted to put my two cents in on these negative bashers of this program-
sure, this program is dysfunctional, what did you expect from a program
attempting to mimic human consiousness? Other than the proprietary Alicebot,
this program is the only one out there heading down the path outlined in Michio Kaku's book "Visions" only you're not going to get drawn into the AIML trap.
                                   B)

Roamer

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2001, 01:50:38 am »
Here's the change for your 2 cents.

Ok, first of all, you're speech recognition engines are not the problem.

No SAPI compliant engines will work with Ultrahal.

MS SDK 5.1 runs just fine on my machine. It's in the system. I've been training it. It works with other programs. It recognizes random speech just fine.

The problem is that these Zabaware guys (gals?) did not design a properly functioning SAPI compliant piece of software.

Ultrahal is HYPER defective on several crucial levels. It seems to have major problems on many different systems with different configurations.

This is simply NOT acceptable as a commercial product in it's current form.

Yep, they have a pretty cool concept. But, they didn't debug it enough before distributing it as an allegedly viable commercial product.

The bashing is primarily due to MAJOR functions that simply will not work.

I paid good money for this and I damn well expect the speech recognition features to work. They don't. Ultrahal is STONE DEAF.

At this point I don't expect it to communicate clearly. I also don't expect to pay money and then get a super buggy program that repeatedly installs itself, clutters my registry info, and always say's it was "shut down improperly" after I have specifically used it's own "exit" function.

For Pete's sake, it can't even close itself properly without scewing things up.

This is why it's getting bashed. They are currently screwing everyone that pays for the product.

This will be true until they make a version that actually works.

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2001, 11:05:51 am »
quote:

Recently, I purchased a copy of L&H voice eXpress due to my frustration with
the 'piece of kraft' EvilEmpire SDK4.0 . The new speech engine works fine but does not work with my uHAL assistant (Dee Dee). When I attempt to select use SR
in the general options, a number of error codes are generated. RC80040206,
E_FAIL and unspecified error are displayed in boxes. Then uHAL pops up a box that says it is disabling the SR. please help
  Just wanted to put my two cents in on these negative bashers of this program-
sure, this program is dysfunctional, what did you expect from a program
attempting to mimic human consiousness? Other than the proprietary Alicebot,
this program is the only one out there heading down the path outlined in Michio Kaku's book "Visions" only you're not going to get drawn into the AIML trap.
                                   B)

Is this a problem with Ultra Hal Assistant 3.0 or 4.0? RC80040206 seems like an error version 3.0 might make. I will lookup what this error means once you can confirm what version you are using.
Robert Medeksza

brianstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2001, 07:23:26 pm »
My version is 3.0!! Still in the cheering section-    B)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2001, 11:30:23 am »
I looked up to see what error "RC80040206" and this is what I found in the documentation:
quote:
A speech recognition session object was unable to open a session with the speech recognition engine. Obtain the engine return code and return code description using GetSessionRC and GetSessionRCDescription. Refer to speech recognition engine documentation.

Well this error description isn't any help at all. Hal isn't programmed to read the SessionRC code from the L&H engine so we can't figure out what the real error is. I will have one of our programmers install L&H Voice Express and try to get it to work with Ultra Hal Assistant 3.0 and then we'll try to recreate this error. I'll write back when we have the results.

SAPI 5.1 is a large improvement over SAPI 4.0. If I'm not mistaking, I think Microsoft actually licenced some of L&H's speech technology to create their speech recognition engine.
Robert Medeksza

brianstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2001, 06:58:32 pm »

Thanks for helping me with this. I run windows98 on an Athlon/AbitKT133 system.
  This may not be a problem with Dee Dee as I went to the L&H website and found  that there may be conflicts with start up programs interfering with the installation of the SR.
  Tonight I"m going to burn the midnight oil and do the procedure they have posted which temporarily disables the startups and reinstall the SR and see what happens. Check back here and see what did-  B)

brianstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2001, 08:19:11 am »
no luck--SSDD   B(

brianstorm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2001, 11:10:31 am »
I was wondering if you tried installing voice express yet and if so , what did you find out? I've been using viavoice as I read it works w/ultra hal on the forum. From working with both, I would say that the L&H is far superior and would rather be using it.  B)