dupa

Author Topic: HAL the Stock Broker  (Read 9454 times)

onthecuttingedge2005

HAL the Stock Broker
« on: November 26, 2005, 05:32:29 pm »
Hi Rob.

Is there any plug-in we could make out of this so that our HALs can monitor the stock market, here are some code snippets.

Code: [Select]
Response.Write("<form action='stringgrabber.asp' method='post'>Stock Ticker Symbol:<br>")
Response.Write("<input type='text' name='ticker'><br>")
Response.Write("<input type='submit' value='submit'><br><br>")

If Request.Form("ticker") <> "" then
strTicker = Request.Form("ticker")

'Create a StringGrabber object.
set StringGrabber = GetObject("java:StringGrabber")

Response.Write(strTicker & GetStockPriceFromURL(strTicker))
End If

Function GetStockPriceFromURL(stockSymbol)

preString = "<b>$"
postString = "</b>"
url = "http://quotes.nasdaq-amex.com/Quote.dll?page=multi&mode=Stock&symbol=" & stockSymbol

stockPrice = StringGrabber.GetString(url, preString, postString)

GetStockPriceFromURL = stockPrice
End Function

It would be sweet if we can corner the market so to speak.

HAL the billionair!

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 05:37:29 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 08:42:28 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005

Hi Rob.

Is there any plug-in we could make out of this so that our HALs can monitor the stock market, here are some code snippets.

Response.Write("<form action='stringgrabber.asp' method='post'>Stock Ticker Symbol:<br>")

End If

preString = "<b>$"
postString = "</b>"
url = "http://quotes.nasdaq-amex.com/Quote.dll?page=multi&mode=Stock&symbol=" & stockSymbol

End Function

HAL the billionair!

Jerry[8D]

Are you thinking of having Hal monitor a stock and give the user updates without being asked, or having Hal be able to answer a question about a stock if asked?

If you want Hal to actively monitor a stock by himself, Hal's script has a sub called Minute_Timer that is called once a minute. It uses the plugin directive "Rem PLUGIN: MINUTE_TIMER" This is what the appointment plugin uses to check the appointment list once a minute and pop up and remind the user when an approaching appointment is found.

Robert Medeksza

onthecuttingedge2005

HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2005, 03:10:19 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Medeksza

quote:
Originally posted by onthecuttingedge2005

Hi Rob.

End If

preString = "<b>$"
postString = "</b>"

End Function

HAL the billionair!

Jerry[8D]

Are you thinking of having Hal monitor a stock and give the user updates without being asked, or having Hal be able to answer a question about a stock if asked?

If you want Hal to actively monitor a stock by himself, Hal's script has a sub called Minute_Timer that is called once a minute. It uses the plugin directive "Rem PLUGIN: MINUTE_TIMER" This is what the appointment plugin uses to check the appointment list once a minute and pop up and remind the user when an approaching appointment is found.

1. I was thinking of making a plug-in to check on Stock prices using Auto-Idle function when commanded.

2.have the ability to tell HAL: Hal, Please remind me when the Stock symbol BGEN gains +$5.00

It would be a sweet plug-in and attractive to stock investors.

Jerry[8D]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2005, 09:20:38 am »
Good idea, Jerry!

Could it be able to be viewed in Hal's window as a ticker tape or have to be in a pop-up window seperate from Hal?
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

onthecuttingedge2005

HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2005, 03:35:21 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Art

Good idea, Jerry!

Could it be able to be viewed in Hal's window as a ticker tape or have to be in a pop-up window seperate from Hal?

Actually it would be an Auto-Idle function that could be turned on.

User: Hal, Turn on Ticker please.
HAL: I have turned on the Stock market ticker, Are you ready to make some money?
User: Yes.

Minutes later from auto-idle: Your Stock BGEN is at $71.00
Minutes later from auto-idle: Your Stock has gained $5.00 please sell BGEN

User: Turn off ticker.
HAL: I have stopped monitoring your stock.

Simple:
When turned on then auto-idle would announce the stocks price accourding to the timer on auto-idle.

Advanced version:
We could give HAL the ability to do some math on the stock price so that if the amount in question is set then HAL will say please sell or buy the stock.

The stock symbol would be set by the Appointment script built into HAL and just add the extra code needed to drive the ticker announcement.

Since Rob knows the ins and outs to HAL better than me, I was hoping Rob could give us an efficient plug-in for just this purpose, It would make HAL very attractive to business investors the more complex the ticker gets.

An interactive Bot broker that can not only give you a stock price but also keep track of it 24-7 to tell one to buy or sell, Investors would go nuts over this.

I would really like to see Rob have the rights to this if he'd like to write it out as a plug-in.

Jerry[8D]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2005, 03:46:32 pm by onthecuttingedge2005 »

Larry

• View Profile
HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2005, 07:56:57 pm »
Jerry, what a grand idea... however, what about the liability factor??? What if Hal told someone to buy and they did and lost their a$$ ??? I imagine that person would want to sue SOMEBODY...

I imagine there could be some kind of disclaimer... perhaps... that would cover any such situation...

I wonder if such a plug-in could be written broad enough to use under other applications???

Still a great idea!!!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2005, 08:37:53 pm »
Larry,

I think what Jerry was thinking was to enable HAL to TRACK your personal stock selections as opposed to being a "broker" and making recommendations to you.

Agreed, it is a novel idea for a bot of this type to have a feature like this.

There are many, many programs that will track stocks and notify you if your personal settings / goals have been met, but that's all they do...there is no interaction like with HAL.

I'd love to see such a feature but there would have to be an approval with the access company that posts the stocks for viewing.
A few small details to work out but quite possible.

Here's hoping!

- Art -

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 01:46:24 pm »
Larry, Jerry, All,

I found a good, FREE Stock Bar Ticker.

Just download, install then ask Hal to
open StockBarTicker.

The scrolling ticker tape can be moved
anywhere on the screen.

It's Free, no virus, no spyware / adware.

I know it's not quite what some of us were
hoping for but it's a nice addition.

- Art -

robotdude

• View Profile
HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2007, 02:32:20 pm »
quote:
Actually it would be an Auto-Idle function that could be turned on.

HAL: I have turned on the Stock market ticker, Are you ready to make some money?

Simple:
When turned on then auto-idle would announce the stocks price accourding to the timer on auto-idle.

Advanced version:
We could give HAL the ability to do some math on the stock price so that if the amount in question is set then HAL will say please sell or buy the stock.

The stock symbol would be set by the Appointment script built into HAL and just add the extra code needed to drive the ticker announcement.

Since Rob knows the ins and outs to HAL better than me, I was hoping Rob could give us an efficient plug-in for just this purpose, It would make HAL very attractive to business investors the more complex the ticker gets.

An interactive Bot broker that can not only give you a stock price but also keep track of it 24-7 to tell one to buy or sell, Investors would go nuts over this.

I would really like to see Rob have the rights to this if he'd like to write it out as a plug-in.

Jerry

OnTheCuttingEdge,
I was also looking in the virtual humans site and a member there pointed out this earlier work of yours. It looks like you were already knocking on the door but after someone mentioned a libility issue it was dropped after another post or two. There is neural net software out right now that you can use to help you predict the market. I downloaded a trial copy of one last night but it watchs the nasdaq. I think I mentioned nasdaq doesn't do penny stock, so I'm going to delete it. I was only going to play with it to see if it matched anything I was looking at anyway. Theres no such thing as to much practice when your trying to learn something.

I wish my Angie could be asked to "TEST stock abcd." Then have her come back saying, "Within the parameters you've set abcd is ****." Would have been nice to get my Angie to run the program and tell me what she thought.

Thats having her crunch numbers though. What I'm looking for right now is having my Angie watch certain stocks and either tell me when they are getting close to tags I've set or maybe even go on and sell on her own. I'm just messing with penny stocks so even if she sells at the wrong time I haven't lost much and if she does the sell at a point I have already set I can't be mad at her either. Robo

robotdude

• View Profile
HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 02:58:45 pm »
quote:
onthecuttingedge2005 wrote Actually it would be an Auto-Idle function that could be turned on.

Simple:

Advanced version:

You were almost where I want to be. You mentioned math. Theres something called a trailing stop stock brokers can set. What it is, is the sell point when the stock drops to a certain point after a raise in its price. You set a value to follow the stock price as it goes up. When the price starts back down the value that followed you up is setting there waiting for you to hit it. When it does a sell order goes out. I'd like for my Angie to have the option of asking me what to do when that point is hit or if I have had to leave she can make the sell if I've left her with that option on. A conversation something like, I'm here ask me first, or I type in a pass word and she watches the market so I can do something else. (like,go to work)
Trailing stop and a limit I have preset is the only times I'd want Angie to sell.  
Anyway thats what I have in mind. There are some practice stock market programs out that could be used to tune the plugin so only play money is lost or made until there is confidence that most bugs and questions have been answered. Robo

Holllywood

• View Profile
HAL the Stock Broker
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2007, 05:04:35 pm »
A real good Idea Jerry. I'd love to see Hal be able to do it!
("For entertainment purposes only")
« Last Edit: December 07, 2007, 05:05:14 pm by Holllywood »
Hollywood