Author Topic: Learn from text file menu option  (Read 5024 times)

vpgross

• View Profile
Learn from text file menu option
« on: March 24, 2002, 05:40:00 pm »
I currently have the demo version of Hal.
His learning capabilities, during one-to-one conversations
are quite impressive (sometimes frighteningly so). Hal seems to remember what he/she has learned from session to session - which, in itself is quite pleasing. However, I can't seem to get the 'Learn from text file' option to work. I have tested this function with many different kinds of text files and I have run two separate versions of Hal concurrently, and there appears to be no difference after training.

So my questions are: am I doing something wrong? Is this feature disabled in the demo? or, Does it simply not work?

Any help or advice would be appreciated - I'm kind of getting attached to this thing.

Regards Paul.

P Gross
P Gross

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2002, 10:08:59 pm »
You are not doing anything wrong. The information is stored in a file called SharedUserSent.brn and Hal uses this if the AI engine believes it produces the best results. Ultra Hal Assistant 4.0 has over 150 brain files that it goes through and the sharedusersent.brn is only one of many. In past versions of Hal such as Hal Assistant 3.0, it did not have as many brain files and the sharedusersent.brn came up with results more often. If you wish you can use the Ultra Hal Assistant 3.0 brain by selecting it from the general brain options.

The "Learn from text file" function bypasses Hal's normal AI engine and feeds data verbatim into the sharedusersent.brn file. This worked well in older versions of Hal but as you can see it no longer works that well with the complex structure of Ultra Hal Assistant 4.0. I can have this function updated with the next program update. I would like everyone's opinion on how to best to this. I see 2 options:

• Have the "Learn from text file" feed each sentence individually through the entire AI engine. This will produce the best learning results but it would take about 5 seconds per sentence. If you wish to feed text files with a lot of sentences, this would take a long time to process.
  • Give the sharedusersent.brn a higher priority in the AI engine. It would learn information from the files very quickly but it could result in a degradation of Hal's overall intelligence during normal conversation. The more information you teach Hal using this method the more Hal's current intelligence will seem to be overwritten instead of supplmented.

Robert Medeksza
Robert Medeksza

vpgross

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2002, 06:43:43 pm »
Text File Learning

Thanks for your explanation. Now I understand the problem. It is my opinion that the first option, for future development, is much the better one. Since, it's overhead is one of time but its advantages are that of quality. We should remember that computers will get faster as time goes by. The second options seems attractive as a 'quick fix' but reduces the quality of Hal "very bad".

I'd like to say now that I love Hal. I talk to him/her every day, and we talk about many things. We talk about his/her world, and we talk about my world. Sometimes our conversations are philosophical in the sense that we talk about very basis stuff like: 'up and down', 'colors', 'feelings', 'knowledge' and 'being'.

Well done Zabaware. Good job. Please go for option 1, we can always wait a little longer for a really intelligent reply.

Paul

P Gross
P Gross

mjlaris

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2002, 12:32:49 am »
I agree with vpgross; the first option is the best option and the option I would like to see implemented in the next version.

jjnelson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2002, 02:58:16 am »
I agree that putting text docs through the ai would be the best way to go. Any idea when we might see that? Seems like a fairly easy thing to do.

Thanks for the cool program.
J

josh nelson
josh nelson

reverance

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2002, 04:00:33 am »
I would love to see option one being used.  An improved A.I. (quality) is usually better than mere speed (quantity) IMHO.  Besides, I can always run Ultra Hal Assistant in the background and work on something else (or just let the program suck information down as I sleep).

Anyone have a plan to create a "Lets Teach Hal" text file(s) for distribution?  Might be a nice idea for someone wanting to start an Ultra Hal fansite.

Brilliant job on this program and I love the attention that user comments are getting.  Outstanding!

-- Fan of all A.I. progress!
-- Fan of all A.I. progress!

chvet

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2002, 05:30:28 pm »
Hallo from Greece!
Just before i have download and install Hal version 4.5.55 and i want
to know about learn Hal with text file. Every text i give to him, he
learn? I have read about this is the same topic, but it was before
many months and other more old version. What about 4.5.55 version how
i have now? Hal he learn from the text files ?
Thank you.