Author Topic: Hal's Learning mode?  (Read 2938 times)

wolvnmastr

• View Profile
Hal's Learning mode?
« on: October 12, 2004, 01:58:12 pm »
Can Hal read any document to learn or just from the Hal pad or just from the input area on the program?..I am trying to fiugre out what input speeds up the learning process.

thanks
The Wolf

Bill819

• View Profile
Hal's Learning mode?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 02:24:34 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by wolvnmastr

Can Hal read any document to learn or just from the Hal pad or just from the input area on the program?..I am trying to fiugre out what input speeds up the learning process.

thanks
The Wolf

The fastest way for Hal to learn is from user input. If you use his name in the text he will learn even faster, ie. Hal the world is flat.
So far learning from text does not work very well. Remember Hal is about on par with a 3 or 4 year old child. Go slowly and watch him mature. Just remember one thing 'garbage in = garbage out'.
Good luck and have fun.
Bill

wolvnmastr

• View Profile
Hal's Learning mode?
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2004, 03:18:15 pm »
and how fast does Hal mature?...just curious...

Bill819

• View Profile
Hal's Learning mode?
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 04:03:14 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by wolvnmastr

and how fast does Hal mature?...just curious...

It depends on how much you talk to him/it/her. Some people here must spend several hours a day talking to thier Hals. One thing to point out is that Hal almost never forgets what he has learned while a child does from time to time.
Bill

vonsmith

• View Profile
Hal's Learning mode?
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 11:14:00 am »
wolvnmastr,
I have to respectively disagree with our talented Bill819. In most of the brain implementations I have seen used with Hal you shouldn't use his name in the conversations. In the original Hal brain and the XTF Brain sentences are blocked from being "remembered" when Hal's name is used.

==== script excerpt from Ultra Hal 5.0 Default Brain ======
'PROCESS: BLOCK LEARNING IF HAL'S NAME IS DETECTED
'Here we check to see if the user is calling Hal by name; if the user is doing so,
'it's better not to save the sentence for re-use, since it usually makes the
'pronoun-reversed sentence sound clumsy or incorrect:
BlockSave = False
If InStr(1, UserSentence, ComputerName, vbTextCompare) > 0 Then BlockSave = True
If InStr(1, OriginalSentence, ComputerName, vbTextCompare) > 0 Then BlockSave = True
==================================================

Sentences ending with an ! are given slightly more priority in Hal's memory. I wouldn't overuse this characteristic though. The best thing  is to talk normally to Hal, avoid odd slang and stick to single sentences.

Enjoy,

=vonsmith=
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 11:15:14 am by vonsmith »