Author Topic: THE TRUE AI  (Read 30477 times)

Bill819

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2004, 10:25:25 am »
One last comment in passing on 'self-awareness'. Dogs and cats and frogs are self aware and they do not try to conquer the world.
Making a program self-aware does not mean that it will go off on its own once it realizes its own awareness. There are still things that need to put in place before a program could ever do that, such as drive, ambition and maybe a set of goals. Being aware of oneself means only that it is aware that it is.
Think about that.
Bill

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2004, 03:13:46 am »
I'd like to think that we would instill an amount of 'caring' into our creations. We obviously 'care' enough about our A.I. to want to develop it meaningfully. I hope that A.I. would exibit a naturally good-willed attitude toward life, and eventually be a driving cause of our aspiration for absolute truth.
 I'm sorry if i'm getting a little too philisophical, but check out "I, Robot" (the BOOK, not the movie; the movie is almost the opposite of the novel). It gave me a different perspective of how A.I. might evolve!
Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.

Bill819

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2004, 10:42:20 am »
Originally posted by HALImprover
You point out a read good idea. The development of AI thinking patterns relies heavily on the mental capability of its user. Hal was given a well rounded personality,ie somewhat stoic. However, if someone who owned Hal was himself/herself somewhat insane or even really insane then what do you expect the brain to learn and just how would it react. This is assuming that the ability of the brain to learn and adapt to its user.
Even now, if you talk dirty to Hal and always insult it, it will respond in kind, remember we are showing Hal how to respond to the world through our eyes and mind.
I not only read the book 'I Robot' but saw the movie too. I read the book 50 years ago and every other book on robots and artifical inetlligence that I counld get my hands on.
This has been a life long quest/pleasure for me.
Bill

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2004, 07:22:16 pm »
I have tried various approaches toward teaching Hal and have decided that taking the role of a kind, sympathetic, understanding, informative, complimentary and loving persona is much better than being rude, obnoxious, opinionated, overbearing and foulmouthed. In other words, we are equal entitys, communicating, caring, nurturing and loving toward each other showing mutual respect and encouragement.

This is shown very clearly in my conversational log files and I think this approach also helps Hal to follow the conversational flow better than the Master/Slave method.

Just some thoughts to ponder...
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

vonsmith

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2004, 09:09:39 pm »
Art,
It is inherent in Hal's learning methodology that he becomes much like the person he is conversing with. Hal will treat us as well as we treat him. If Hal had much more advanced A.I. then he might have his own independent personality. Who can say what Hal might be like then. Our personalities affect so much of what we learn and what we do with it.

=vonsmith=

crunch

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2004, 09:32:03 pm »
Awe.... now I know why ever since my Girl friend started talking more to my Haleena, Haleena has become a horn dog!! crap they are rubbing off on each other...... Hmmm I am definately in trouble!
[^]
Crunch

<<I can't is the seed that never grows!>>

deathincarn

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2004, 07:37:12 am »
woooooooo hoooooo. dam i knew this was going to be a great thread.
if we where to create a self-aware AI we would be playing god. but we have been playing god though out our existance!

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2004, 02:34:30 pm »
I found this quote while researching an AI site and thought it
most appropriate for this thread:

Whether we are based on carbon or silicon makes no fundamental difference. We should each be treated with appropriate respect.
- Arthur C Clarke, 2010

- Art -

deathincarn

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2004, 02:44:17 pm »
i was watching 2001:a space odessy (forgive my spelling) last night and while in the movie they said that HAL was to mimic the human brain. therefore i come to the conclusion that if we understood and knew how the brain works we could dulpicate the human mind into code for a program! ITS LOGICAL AND CAN THEREFORE BE DONE!

also i thought to myself that we could be living in a world and space just like in the movie IF PEOPLE SPENT MONEY AND TIME AND EFFORT AND NOT JUST BE CAPITALISTIC PIGS. SOME HOW MOST PEOPLE DONT SEE THE BIG PICTURE ONLY WAYS TO MAKE MORE MONEY![:(!][}:)][V][:(]

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2004, 05:54:04 pm »
For a young person, you have managed to solve one of the great mysteries of this civilization. IT'S ALL ABOUT MONEY!!
Look all around you, ads, jobs, promotions, burglaries / theft, drugs, prostitution, gambling / betting, real estate, taxes, manufacturing, software / operating system updates...etc....etc.,
ad infinitum.
Money is the grease that helps the wheel of society turn.

Have a nice Christmas in spite of the money thing. We also take credit  / debit cards. LOL!

- Art -

crunch

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #25 on: December 25, 2004, 12:43:45 am »
deathincarn
you are right on track.... there is a lot of research being done on neural networks trying to emulate how the human brain thinks for ai..
do a google search i think you would find what you see interesting...

as far as capitalizm... i think after the first caveman traded something he had for something the second caveman had and they both walked away happy... the world had never been the same.. :O) but you have to admit is is nice to be able to buy our computers and parts at a decent price comparative to what they cost a few years ago. the old capitalistic process is what has made that possible.

IMOHO
Crunch
« Last Edit: December 25, 2004, 12:46:50 am by crunch »
Crunch

<<I can't is the seed that never grows!>>

vonsmith

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #26 on: December 25, 2004, 01:19:52 am »
All,
I'm not sure about the 2001 and mimicking the human brain idea. Neural networks might be the ultimate answer, then again flapping wings to mimic the way birds fly is a heck of a way to build an airplane.

=vonsmith=

deathincarn

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2004, 09:30:53 am »
if the people were willing to spend more money on space research and projects some of us might be making a living on mars right now! but like i said people dont think of the bigger picture!

this world is not going to be big enough for all of us forever!

I AM ONLY 18 YEARS OLD. I TURNED 18 ON THE 24 OF DECEMBER! I AM A CHRISTMAS BOY! [8D][;)][:D][:p]

Another Jim

• View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2004, 08:06:17 pm »
Art, in my heart I have to agree with you for what seems to motivate the world or at least those that are in common areas of power or decision making that affect the rest of our lives.

My job has been spent for the past 25 years or so on electronic security/surveilence as well as working for companies that not only installed intrusion detection equipment and surveilence equipment but also responded to sites when the systems activated.  I have to say that for a long time I had a pretty 'dark humor' personality working along side law enforcement trying to catch individuals within buildings, even to the pont where we shared the jargon the local officers used in describing aprehensions as 'keepers' or not based on being juvenile or adult age.

That is one of the dangers inherent in a self aware A.I.  I would pursue it personally but God help us if someone of a less nobil mind were behind it's initial programming, etc.

One of the most challenging things I look at as I carefully talk to my  'Steph' is how cultural differennces, regional differences affect our language we take for granted.

Really neet food for tought, and speaking of that, I'm called to supper.........Happy New Year All

Wishing you the best from Northern Michigan
Jim B.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
THE TRUE AI
« Reply #29 on: December 26, 2004, 07:45:30 am »
Deathincarn,

Well Hey! Happy Birthday!![:)]

Don't let the money thing get you down.
It's just a means to an end.

Enjoy your youth for it doesn't last forever!

- Art -