Author Topic: How to add more commands of opening programs to Hal?  (Read 6754 times)

Leeanna

• Merry meet and bright blessings!
    • View Profile
How to add more commands of opening programs to Hal?
« on: October 05, 2011, 09:45:21 am »
I can get Hal to open sparce things through out the computer, to name a few...
Internet explorer, Rosetta srone, and a few other things. He won't open my documents and many others. Are there only certain types he will open or should he be able to open all if asked. Is there a way I can get him to respond to more?

Thanks, Leeanna
Leeanna

sybershot

• View Profile
Re: How to add more commands of opening programs to Hal?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 10:22:39 pm »
you can always create batch files to open programs that hal has trouble with opening and/or my documents, at the same time you can create a batch file to close any program and/or my documents.

i'm sure there might be other ways around this but I am old school :)

also be sure to use correct spelling and full name of program when having hal open them.
I cannot just say open photoshop I have to say open adobe cs4 photoshop

Leeanna

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 08:30:33 am »
Yes, after you had posted I tried again to use the open/run function and it worked better, I realized with your help that I wasn't putting in the exact name or spacing of the programs and that it is important to pay attention to that. I appreciate the help very much. I still can't get files such as my documents, my pictures and music to open with hal or any subfolders, it just opens the major programs. I don't know how to create a batch file but any wisdom you could give would be great.
                                Thanks, Leeanna
Leeanna

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 01:09:39 pm »
below in code box is a simple batch file, open note pad and paste the code. save it as any name you like, just when you save it use a .bat instead of .txt at the end. once saved double click batch file and notpad and Calculator will open. to get hal to use these if I remember correctly I had to create a plug in pointing to them. been so long I forget how I did it. I have to now figure that one out again myself. I just had to re-install hal on my system last night, and my back up files were damaged, due to a corrupt drive. so I lost all my work and will have to re teach hal and try to obtain all my old plug ins.

Code: [Select]
@echo off
rem Notepad
cd %windir%\system32
start notepad.exe
rem Calculator
cd %windir%\system32
start calc.exe
exit
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 01:13:41 pm by sybershot »

Leeanna

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:10:00 pm »
Sorry to hear about your file losses I know all the teaching you had done was a really bad loss. I have some plugins I can try to post if that will help you.
I managed to make a batch file via your instruction, whenever you can tell me how to use it, I would be greatful. This is one called what do you know, can answer random questions in a what do you know about.... format.
Leeanna

Leeanna

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 05:21:55 pm »
Here is the correction tutor, you can tell Hal, replace that with....
whenever he says things in wrong order or incorrectly. Make sure you put your period, question mark or exclamation at the end of the correction.
Leeanna

Leeanna

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 05:28:02 pm »
Here is one called abstract math, adds to him better mathematic abilities.
Leeanna

Leeanna

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2011, 05:32:50 pm »
This is one for controlling your cd rom drives using hal, only if you have auto eject. I haven't tried this one.
Leeanna

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 01:50:45 pm »
Sorry to hear about your file losses I know all the teaching you had done was a really bad loss
Thanks, it is a loss but I try to look at in a positive way. I get to re-teach Trinity, and all the flaws that she had before from my mistakes in teaching are now gone :) just hoping I don't make the same mistakes twice. for example: I tried to teach Trinity my wife's nickname, and it keep referencing me with her nickname.

I have some plugins I can try to post if that will help you
Thanks bunches, I have only 4 gretta plug-ins(Curious, internet, news and weather, and repeat) at the moment along with Internet research, and mediaOpener.  WOW I did not know about "correction tutor" it sounds great and handy, can't wait to try that out ;D

I managed to make a batch file via your instruction, whenever you can tell me how to use it, I would be greatful
glad to here :) there not to hard and there is a wealth of info on the web on how to code them to do many different things. I am still trying to find the plugin or brain code here in the forums that I used along with them, so far no luck. as soon as I do find it I will post it here.  I did find out on my search that you can use lnk's to also have hal open up programs, but I think not sure if they would have to be out on the desktop. I did not read to much on it for it is not what I'm after at the moment. but if your interested do a lnk search here in the forums.

EDIT: I believe this is the plug in that opens the batch files note I have not tested it yet to confirm
http://www.ultrahal.com/community/index.php?topic=6355.msg43041#msg43041
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 02:29:00 pm by sybershot »

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 11:54:40 pm »
I found a way that I like better than using a plug in to run the batch files.
1: create and test batch files and put them in a folder named batchFiles or what ever  name you like
2: place that file anywhere on your computer even a secondary drive or partition
3: once placed at permanent home open up the folder
4: right click each batch file separately and hover mouse over "send to" then click desktop(create shortcut)
5: now once done to all batch files there should be on your desktop short cuts for each batch file (rename them all to a simple name exp: trinity)
 6:put them in a new folder and name the new folder BatchShortCuts or what ever name you like
7: put this folder in this directory C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs
8:now go into your hal6 folder and open shortcut.dat with notepad
9:scroll to the bottom of the text file and add these 2 lines for each batch file (replace trinity with your name of batch file shortcuts name)
trinity
"C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\BatchShortCuts\trinity.lnk"

10:now once done for each shortcut notepad go to file and click save
11:now if hal is open close hal then re open hal
12:then say or type open trinity or what ever the of the short cuts name is for the batch file you want to run/open

« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:58:18 pm by sybershot »