Author Topic: How to get Hal to open any exe file  (Read 5887 times)

knight2000

• View Profile
How to get Hal to open any exe file
« on: January 19, 2012, 06:10:52 pm »
Hello,

Is there a way to have Hal open any exe file located on the desktop? Seems like you could just ask Hal to open "test.exe" and he should open it but thats not the case. Can anyone assist with this? Could I hard code it in Hal's script?

Thanks.

knight2000

• View Profile
Re: How to get Hal to open any exe file
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 10:39:31 am »
Thank you for the links! That was just what I needed.

One more question. Is there a way to have Hal open the program by saying just the name of the program? Meaning, instead of first saying "open". If I had a program named "test" I would like to be able to just say "test" to Hal and have him open it. Is this possible?

Thanks again!

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 11:43:43 am »
knight2000 I didn't read the links that you read but my opinion that Ultra Hal would not based upon a single word since Ultra Hal would not know how the word was intended without a key word and a direct link to the program you want opened. That's one of the hardest tricks that programs like Dragon try to understand since it really does not know the meaning as you and I might interpret and we even get it wrong. It's heavy parsing of a sentence and then determining based on the context and how the sentence is formed that give it a chance to be correct. My opinion.

raybe

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 12:08:59 pm »
Thanks for the info.

What if we edit the halscript so that when he hears a certain word or phrase he would execute the program. Rough example:

If userSentence<> "test" Then
          GetResponse = "here you go"
          //code for Hal to execute the program
     End If

Would that be possible? If so what would the code look like to execute the program?

Or Is it possible to change the "open" command to a different word like "activate"
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 12:59:16 pm by knight2000 »

doggs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 02:00:06 pm »
just a thought can you use a eastern speak engine to get the tonal accents that they use? that way hal may understand how a word is used? just a thought.
be informed and always vote it will help you in the long run does not matter if your liberal, conservative or independent. stay informed and watch the votes in government not what the media tells you.

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 03:38:40 pm »
What if we edit the halscript so that when he hears a certain word or phrase he would execute the program. Rough example:

this is possible but a plug in would have to be made. I don't know the scrip/code that would be needed sorry I cannot help you there.  I would recommend against using a single word though.

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 03:51:16 pm »
I'm okay with changing the command word from "open" to "activate" Where would i go within the Hal script to change it. There must be a variable stored somewhere within the script.

Thanks!

sybershot

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 06:32:46 pm »
I believe that part of the scrip is not accessible, that is why I said a plug in would need to be made.

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 11:28:59 pm »
I had already made a script for such, just can't remember where or what it was called nor if it was saved to Zabaware forum.

knight2000

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 05:22:46 pm »
Does anyone know of a plugin for this and were to get it?