Author Topic: logic and reasoning  (Read 2883 times)

rfreeman

• View Profile
logic and reasoning
« on: January 27, 2006, 09:31:29 pm »
Hi, I am new to this forum, to HAL, and to AI bots in general. I recently purchased HAL 6 and am having a great time. I must admit that although Hal is marketed as an "assistant," the assistant functions are relatively useless to me. I can just as easily click an icon or type a search request in my browser. Nevertheless, Hal is great entertainment (especially reading its AIM chat logs) and I am eager to discover the possibilities of Hal's reasoning capabilities.

I have begun to experiment just a bit with the brain editor; mostly just making some small corrections and adding some "if, then" rules. The "if, then" function has got me wondering though...how difficult would it be to program Hal with more complex forms of deductive reasoning? I am not a programmer, so forgive me if I sound ignorant. But, since deductive arguments can be expressed mathematically, it seems to me that it should not be terribly difficult to incorporate things such as syllogistic reasoning, modus ponens, modus tollens, etc. It seems that if this could be incorporated, Hal's reasoning ability, and thus its learning, could advance rapidly.

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
logic and reasoning
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 11:24:39 pm »
Welcome!

There are a number of current members that are actively pursuing enhancements to Hal's brain by way of various "plug-ins", modules that allow Hal to do different things.

Check through the forum postings and don't forget to use the Search feature at the top to help you do so.

There are a few names that come to mind and not in any particular order: onthecuttingedge2005, GrantNZ, scratch, vrossi and several other programming wizzards to get you started.

Enjoy!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

freddy888

• View Profile
    • AiDreams
logic and reasoning
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2006, 04:15:25 pm »
Yep I think Hal is still quite literally in his infancy and while all those things are quite possible, it doesn't mean they are that easy. Sometimes even the simplest of programs can become quite involved and tricky to implement.  And with something trying to impersonate a person then it becomes even more involved.  Time is the issue, but those programmers are gradually making inroads into the myriad of options out there for expanding Hal.

GrantNZ

• View Profile
logic and reasoning
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 05:45:35 am »
I'd like to work on Hal's internal logic, but those people waiting for my emotions project to be completed will know how slow I work on things like this [;)] I've promised myself to finish that project before I start anything else!!

vrossi made a great plug-in for logical reasoning, which does a little better than Hal's inbuilt reasoning and uses more natural language too.

One difficulty with deductive reasoning is when to use it. If used too much, we block some of Hal's more "creative" chat, not to mention that plain deductive logic can make for rather "dry" conversation. Another trick is to find linguistic patterns that we can trust to provide good premises. And finally, ideally, we'd want the deductive process to be integrated with the rest of Hal's thoughts - at the moment (both in Hal internally, and in vrossi's plug-in) deductive thought is a seperate module which Hal can choose to use, but does not compare to his other thought modules. As freddy888 says, this needs to sound natural - simply spitting out deductions is very robotic.

Hmm, here's an idea. If Hal knows A leads to B, and the user states A, Hal currently spits out B. How about pretending the user said B, and forming a response on that! For example, if "it's cloudy" leads to "it's going to rain," and the user states "it's cloudy," then Hal should not comment on "cloud" or blandly say "it's going to rain," but pretend the user said "it's going to rain" and respond to that. Hold on, let me feed that into Hal... righto, here's what the above idea would result in:
Grant: It's cloudy.
Hal: Into every life some rain must fall. (<-- Hal's response if I say "it's going to rain.")

I quite like that. Oh well, I'll add it to the massive to-do list.... [xx(]

rfreeman

• View Profile
logic and reasoning
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 07:32:38 pm »
Thanks for pointing out vrossi's plug-in. I just installed the free choice plug-in. I look forward to experimenting with the syllogistic reasoning and seeing how it works with the modus ponens reasoning already present. You bring up some very good points regarding how and when Hal should use deductive reasoning. Indeed, if artificial intelligence is to become less artificial and more intelligent, the creative aspect cannot be forsaken. I eagerly await your emotion module! It sounds very interesting. Wow, I really have a lot to get caught up on...back to the archives for me.