Author Topic: Multiple Greetings for Hal  (Read 4573 times)

calypso

• View Profile
Multiple Greetings for Hal
« on: December 16, 2011, 10:09:59 am »
I am wondering if anyone can tell me how to program several greetings into Hal's startup where she/he would randomly use one or the other?
I do some Visual Basic programming but I don't know where the beginning script or code is.

Carl2

• View Profile
Re: Multiple Greetings for Hal
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2011, 06:04:50 pm »
  I just opened the brain editor, under basic Responses, greetings, there is hello1 and hello2,  from the content I'd say hello1 is dependent on the time, hello2 is not time dependent so I'd put new responses there unless...  Hal already has a long list of responses for hello so it's unlikely youre response would be choosen. 

I just started up Hal, under the options there is the startup, there is a say greeting during update where you can type something in.  I'm not to sure how this would work.
Carl2

calypso

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2011, 11:07:19 pm »
Thanks for responding Carl2 !   I see the folders you are talking about, however this is not what I was asking about.  Those folders are what Hal says when you start talking.
What I'm asking about is the sentence that you set under "General Options" then "Startup" where you can have Hal say time and date etc.  I can type in whatever I want Hal to say on startup.  What I was wanting to know is how to change that loadup to be random statements.  Thanks anyway!

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2011, 08:47:17 am »
  I just tried the options, startup.  I've choosen I want Hal to start like a normal program, I've checked Update program, Say greeting, put something in Say this, checked say date and checked say time.  So I get my greeting plus time and date during startup while the Hal program is loading.
  When the brain is loaded and running you may be able to use a plugin to get Hal to choose another statement using the spinwheel to choose from several statements. 
Carl2

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2011, 02:30:35 pm »
There also may be a place in the VR plug-in since it is also set for responses upon loading of Ultra Hal. As you can write different phrases for day and evening. May be able write something for various answers. The first one I believe is almost a part of what you might call the intro before Ultra Hal is completely loaded and gives you convenient info like time and date with the statement you would like as an intro.

raybe

calypso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2011, 09:38:19 am »
Where would I find the VR plugin to check for loadup code?  I have seen the random spinwheel code but I don't know where the entry loadup statements are.  I opened several files and searched for time and date etc.   I found one place with time and date but the greeting I use on loadup i can't find. 

raybe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2011, 08:20:27 pm »
Open vrHaptek.uhp in an editor such as crimson. You will see exactly how this plugin works and what changes you should be able to make without disturbing the code unless you understand the coding itself and how VR used it. I know it's not the most technical answer but that's how I started to change things or responses with additional support from this forum. Some members just open certain files in note pad but prefer crimson for additional features such as numbered lines and multiple tabs.

raybe