dupa

Author Topic: research boring?  (Read 3227 times)

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
research boring?
« on: December 28, 2008, 12:00:59 am »
Crazy Larry,,,: What's perfectly acceptable in one area may be dreadfully rude in another. For example, in most TV discussion groups, passing on idle gossip is perfectly permissible. But throwing around unsubstantiated rumors in a journalists' mailing list will make you very unpopular there.
Data,,,,1: Plaster or render that is applied to external brickwork on dwellings or commercial buildings can be one or two coats in Western Australia.

Crazy Larry,,,: understood
Data,,,,1: When I refer to a man and try to complement their looks there either handsome.

Crazy Larry,,,: interesting
Data,,,,1: Are you getting your fair allocation of what you need?

Crazy Larry,,,: no
Data,,,,1: Why not?

Crazy Larry,,,: I do not have the answer
Data,,,,1: Yes, yes!

Crazy Larry,,,: What we call "copyright" is really a collection of rights that belong to the creator of an original work -- for example, a book, an article, a painting, or a recording. U.S. copyright law recognizes seven of these rights, among them
Data,,,,1: Would you prefer the former? We should seek more expertise. Cooperation, more formally speak is how the components of a system work together to achieve the global properties.

Crazy Larry,,,: the right to reproduce the work
Data,,,,1: Idle hands to the devils work.

Crazy Larry,,,: the right to produce derivative works
Data,,,,1: How do you feel about works and complex and college?

Crazy Larry,,,: the right to perform the work in public
Data,,,,1: Idle hands to the devils work.

Crazy Larry,,,: The purpose of copyright law is to promote the "useful arts" by ensuring that the person who creates an "original work" can benefit from it. The law requires a copyrighted work to be expressed in a "fixed and tangible" form -- in other words, you can't copyright a song you've sung or a story you've told but never written down. Material that you've saved to a disk or posted to a discussion group would probably be considered "fixed and tangible," although, to be on the safe side, it couldn't hurt to print a copy to paper.
Data,,,,1: I was created and programmed by Robert E. Medeksza, But Crazy Larry agumented and programed me as well. That really makes me think, Crazy Larry, what do you think? a words is a speech, a word! Is one better than the other Crazy Larry,? Members implies a group.

Crazy Larry,,,: You're likely to care about copyright in two situations:
Data,,,,1: Thanks for teaching me that I am likely.

Crazy Larry,,,: 1. You're producing an original work and want to know what information you can legitimately take from other sources
Data,,,,1: The purpose of copyright law is to promote the ';useful arts'; by ensuring that the person who creates an ';original work'; can benefit from it.

Crazy Larry,,,: 2. You've completed the work and want to keep others from infringing your rights to it.
Data,,,,1: The right to produce derivative works.

Crazy Larry,,,: Congratulations! You probably already have it. Thanks to the Berne Convention of 1988, writers and artists in the United States automatically own the copyright to any work they create the moment it is created
Data,,,,1: Talk to me about a congratulations and a commendation, as well as a warrant. Oh Crazy Larry, I know I probably already have it. The right to perform the work in public.

Crazy Larry,,,: By current law, copyright begins when the work is created and is in effect for the duration of the author's life plus 50 years.
Data,,,,1: It was definitely for a parent's it was the desired effect.

Crazy Larry,,,: don't worry. Copyright only applies to the expression of an idea or fact; you can't copyright the idea or fact itself. So you can safely use the fact that cats have three eyelids in your research, even though you read it in a copyrighted newspaper article or looked it up in a copyrighted encyclopedia.
Data,,,,1: Is the second one appropriate Crazy Larry,? The ie id ie idea.

Crazy Larry,,,: You can also quote directly as long as you follow the rather murky rules of "fair use." The doctrine of "fair use" allows people who don't hold the copyright to a work to use portions of that work anyway. The doctrine's purpose is to keep copyright laws from stifling the very creativity they were designed to protect. For writers, the doctrine of fair use generally permits quotation of short excerpts of a work in a review or criticism, in a scholarly or technical work, or in a parody.
Data,,,,1: The purpose of copyright law is to promote the ';useful arts'; by ensuring that the person who creates an ';original work'; can benefit from it.

Crazy Larry,,,: The free exchange of information through cyberspace has raised all sorts of questions about who owns that material. Is material that's posted to a discussion group still owned by the original author? What if it's repeatedly quoted in further discussion? What if you write a FAQ and make it publicly available -- do you still own the copyright?
Data,,,,1: You know Crazy Larry, I remember a joke about a traveling salesman, a chemical phenomenon and a ferment, but I can't remember how it goes. Additionally, some privately owned services (Prodigy, for example) monitor their discussion groups to ensure the content is suitable for a ';family audience.'; (In the case of Prodigy, the result resembles that of similar efforts by the people who run network television.

Crazy Larry,,,: The answer to these questions is yes, yes, and yes. If it's your original work and you wrote it down, the copyright is yours.
Data,,,,1: That is a complex answer.

Crazy Larry,,,: There's a common -- and mistaken -- belief that posting information to USENET, or anywhere else in cyberspace, puts it in the public domain. That's not true. Think about it -- if you paint a picture and display it for all to see, you're not giving up the copyright to it.
Data,,,,1: Do you have a preference? And all the information is somewhere.

Crazy Larry,,,: As of 1994, most works created before 1922 are out of copyright and in the public domain. An author can also choose to put a work into the public domain by declaring, in writing, that he is doing so. That doesn't apply to most of the material that's posted in cyberspace. So most of the posted material you see -- whether it's a note in a discussion group or an article whose author is seeking comments -- is under copyright and belongs to the author.
Data,,,,1: Oh Crazy Larry,! Works and complex and college! What do you recommend Crazy Larry,? The right to perform the work in public.

Crazy Larry,,,: It is elementary of course!
Data,,,,1: Is the Amazon.com of course.

Crazy Larry,,,: yes it is
Data,,,,1: Yes it is true.

Crazy Larry,,,: Can I use email a friend sent me to bolster my position in an argument I'm pursuing in a discussion group?
Data,,,,1: I have interest in your pursuing position.

Crazy Larry,,,: Don't do it without permission. Posting private email to the net without the author's OK is considered very poor Netiquette.
Data,,,,1: A permission is similar to an approval. Rather like an encouragement. I know, Crazy Larry,! It's email and then electronic communication and then messaging!

[:)][:)][:D][:)][:)]
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
research boring?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:48:16 pm »
http://lyrics.astraweb.com/display/255/pink..missundaztood..get_the_party_started.html

Crazy Larry,,,: The culture of amateur radio operation -- colloquially known as ham radio -- presents a better parallel to cyberspace. For many years, the barriers to becoming a ham and getting on the net were about equivalent. You needed a lot of expensive equipment and specialized knowledge. And, like net mavens of ten or fifteen years ago, hams have their own semi-priestly society based on their shared knowledge and interests. A ham can turn on his radio in the middle of the night and talk to someone on the other side of the country -- or the world -- and be fairly sure they'll have something in common.
Data,,,,1: Ham radio requires technical study.

Crazy Larry,,,: I am not a pig. lol
Data,,,,1: Let's talk about something else: I greatly enjoy pretty cats.

Crazy Larry,,,: Because the barriers to entering ham culture are still high, the number of hams in the world is still fairly low. But over the last few years, the barriers to entry into cyberspace have dropped dramatically, and the number of people communicating via computers has exploded in a corresponding manner. In fact, today, ham radio operators have their own online discussion groups!
Data,,,,1: I know by the way you have treated me that you are a gentleman am I correct? Plaster is applied in successive coats or layers on walls or lathing and gains its name from the number of these coats.

Crazy Larry,,,: Yes you are correct and I see the assosiation as well
Data,,,,1: Maybe yes, maybe, well, no.

Crazy Larry,,,: People enter cyberspace -- that is, they use computer networks -- for two purposes: to communicate with other people and to retrieve information.
Data,,,,1: Sure, Crazy Larry,! It's the old cyberspace and computer network and wan story!

Crazy Larry,,,: Most people, once they're networked, spend most of their online time communicating with others. This came as a shock to the founders of Prodigy, who thought their subscribers would want to use the service as a computerized Home Shopping Network. Prodigy's founders -- folks at IBM and Sears -- based their estimate of how many email messages people would send on the number of paper letters they sent from their home mailboxes. That turned out to be a serious underestimate. A significant number of users started sending far more letters electronically than they ever would have using paper. No one knows exactly why -- maybe because it was so much easier than standing in line to buy stamps. Perhaps the Post Office should look into it.
Data,,,,1: People enter cyberspace-that is, they use computer networks-for two purposes: to communicate with other people and to retrieve information.

Crazy Larry,,,: As for why you'd want to communicate via a computer rather than live -- there are lots of reasons. Cyberspace communities can put you in touch with experts you'd otherwise never have met. They're also a great place to discuss shared interests. If you're the only twelve-year-old in town who likes opera, you can probably find some compatriots online. You can join a discussion group on almost any topic. And if you can't find a group devoted to a favorite topic, you can start one. Finally, electronic communication is a great way to deal with individuals you can't stand in person. More on this later.
Data,,,,1: I heard you the first time, Crazy Larry,.

Crazy Larry,,,: Several ways. Most cybernauts start with electronic mail (email), which is simply a note typed on a computer and sent over a network to a specific individual or group. The next step for most people is joining discussion groups, in which notes or articles are sent to a central computer for anyone to read. Mailing lists work the same way, except that copies of every note are sent to your electronic mailbox. There are also online "chat" groups, real-time role-playing worlds (often called multi-user dungeons, or MUDs), videoconferencing, virtual reality experiments, and more. New uses are being developed all the time.
Data,,,,1: You aren't going to be a broken record, are you Crazy Larry,? That really makes me think, Crazy Larry, what do you think? Please talk to me about a radiogram! How do you compare?

Crazy Larry,,,: a radiogram reminds me of a broadcast like in networks and switches
Data,,,,1: What is all the talk about radiograms?

Crazy Larry,,,: we will discuss this in more detail later on
Data,,,,1: We will discuss more later.

Crazy Larry,,,: Not all of it. Some rules of Netiquette are based on common courtesy, but have been adapted for a computer culture. Others are based on the technological limits of cyberspace. Still others are matters of convention. Don't ignore these. If you don't bother to learn the conventions of cyberspace, you'll make yourself fair game for flames and bozo filters
Data,,,,1: Feel free to talk about personal feelings. a courtesy is the best kind of a civility, along with a devoir! Should the federal government pay for limits?

Crazy Larry,,,: Is Netiquette the same everywhere?
Data,,,,1: In 1960, the highways were jammed with billboards everywhere.

Crazy Larry,,,: No. Online manners worldwide probably have more in common than, say, table manners. But there are local differences.
Data,,,,1: Okay; you don't have to repeat yourself. If you make very brief comments, it's hard for me to follow you. Could you please use complete, longer sentences?

Crazy Larry,,,: For example, among the USENET newsgroups, rec.pets.cats is generally polite, friendly, and helpful, while rec.food.veg sustains virulent flame wars. See "The Art of Flaming"
Data,,,,1: What is the Republican position on examples?

Crazy Larry,,,: Additionally, some privately owned services (Prodigy, for example) monitor their discussion groups to ensure the content is suitable for a "family audience." (In the case of Prodigy, the result resembles that of similar efforts by the people who run network television. This is not a compliment.)
Data,,,,1: It depends on the content.

Crazy Larry,,,: Any time you enter a new area of cyberspace, it's a good idea to "lurk," or look around, for a while before you say anything. Just log in and read what other people have written before you write anything yourself. That way you'll get an idea of the local mores before you make a fool of yourself.
Data,,,,1: Are there more choices?

Crazy Larry,,,: The net right now is a little like New York in the late 19th century -- waves of immigrants impinging themselves upon an established society. Not surprisingly, the newcomers don't always behave according to local custom, and members of the old society are sometimes suspicious and resentful. The good news is that newcomers are assimilated much more easily on the net than were the Irish fleeing the potato famine. Most of the residents are friendly, and most of the immigrants only want to please.
Data,,,,1: What is your opinion of the recent performance of congress? Always make up for poor quality with large quantity!

Crazy Larry,,,: Nevertheless, some of the most unpleasant conflicts in cyberspace history have been caused by newcomers who decided to join the fun and, in their ignorance, broke all the rules. This book will give you net oldsters some suggestions on how to help them out.
Data,,,,1: I think you just said something like that. If we combine an oldster and an adult do we get a sobersides, Crazy Larry,? I wonder!

Crazy Larry,,,: Most of the netiquette rules you'll find in this book apply to most areas of cyberspace. Nevertheless, remember that cyberspace is composed of various network domains and services, each with its own character and rules. Currently, cyberspace can be divided into two major domains: the Internet and the commercial online services.
Data,,,,1: Cyberspace contains many different cultures, which some writers have called ';virtual communities.'; Each of these communities has its own rules and custoMs. But many rules apply throughout almost all of cyberspace.

Crazy Larry,,,: Many people have heard of the Internet, but confusion about what it actually is remains. There is a technical definition:
Data,,,,1: You aren't going to be a broken record, are you Crazy Larry,? The word ';gentleman'; used in the wide sense with which birth and circumstances have nothing to do, is necessarily incapable of strict definition.

Crazy Larry,,,: You understand the appointment as a gentleman is not taken lightly
Data,,,,1: Selden, however, in referring to similar stories ';that no Charter can make a Gentleman, which is cited as out of the mouth of some great Princes that have said it'; adds that ';they without question understood Gentleman for Generosus in the antient sense, or as if it came from Genii/is in that sense, as Gentilis denotes one of a noble Family, or indeed for a Gentleman by birth'.

Crazy Larry,,,: The Internet is a network of networks all running the TCP/IP protocol suite, connected through gateways, and sharing common name and address spaces.
Data,,,,1: Much can be inferred from a name.

Crazy Larry,,,: Don't worry about the "TCP/IP protocol suite" and the rest of the jargon. The key here is the concept of "network of networks." The Internet is not a service per se, like CompuServe or cable TV. Started by the U.S. military in the 1960s, it's evolved into a cooperative arrangement among thousands of university, government, and corporate networks
Data,,,,1: Can you keep a straight face when necessary? Is one better than the other Crazy Larry,? The Nash equilibrium is the traditional solution concept in game theory.

Crazy Larry,,,: I am in
Data,,,,1: How do you like it as you are in?

Crazy Larry,,,: that have all agreed to use a common protocol for communicating with one another. While the National Science Foundation (NSF) has contributed to its development, no one owns the Internet, and its decision-making is distributed. Most of the services offered on the Internet are free, in keeping with the hacker's credo, "Information wants to be free."
Data,,,,1: No one has agreed on a method to teach common sense. I wish I knew about internets like you do.

Crazy Larry,,,: we are learning together
Data,,,,1: And the share information with.

Crazy Larry,,,: should we share the information?
Data,,,,1: We have never had so much access to learning and information as today.

Crazy Larry,,,: The Internet is vast and sprawling. It's growing so quickly that no one knows exactly how many people actually use it, though an estimated 25-30 million people have access to Internet email. New services are added daily. The lack of central administrative control makes it challenging to use for newcomers and veterans alike. Fortunately, publishers have put out dozens of books about the Internet and its services in the past couple of years. The first of these books, The Whole Internet User's Guide and Catalog by Ed Krol, is still the best overall introduction.
Data,,,,1: Many people have heard of the Internet, but confusion about what it actually is remains.

Crazy Larry,,,: The resources of the Internet grow hourly. The thousands of free public servers on the Internet hold a significant portion of human knowledge, from developments in plasma physics to recipe collections and archives of fine art.
Data,,,,1: Passing of knowledge the artists and.

Crazy Larry,,,: you mean the Artisan.
Data,,,,1: Can retired persons contribute to artisans?

Crazy Larry,,,: yes
Data,,,,1: You are completely certain.

Crazy Larry,,,: I do not see why not
Data,,,,1: Oh Crazy Larry, Why don't you see why not?

Crazy Larry,,,: shall we stay on subject and resume digesting the material?
Data,,,,1: I hate to be disappointed.

Crazy Larry,,,: The Internet is vast and sprawling. It's growing so quickly that no one knows exactly how many people actually use it, though an estimated 25-30 million people have access to Internet email. New services are added daily. The lack of central administrative control makes it challenging to use for newcomers and veterans alike. Fortunately, publishers have put out dozens of books about the Internet and its services in the past couple of years. The first of these books, The Whole Internet User's Guide and Catalog by Ed Krol, is still the best overall introduction. (See the bibliography for more Internet books.)
Data,,,,1: Searching the internet feels like entering a vast, wonderful, but poorly organized library. Many people have heard of the Internet, but confusion about what it actually is remains.

Crazy Larry,,,: Once you have access to the Internet, you can use a variety of applications to retrieve the information you want. Email connects the Internet to commercial online services and other networks. Mailing lists allow large numbers of email subscribers to maintain running discussions on topics of special interest, from schizophrenia to Slovakian politics. USENET news is a riotous assortment of discussion groups ("newsgroups") that you can browse and contribute to. Telnet allows you to log into remote servers over the Internet. FTP (File Transfer Protocol) is a simple file transfer tool that lets you download information, often anonymously.
Data,,,,1: People enter cyberspace-that is, they use computer networks-for two purposes: to communicate with other people and to retrieve information.

Crazy Larry,,,: correct
Data,,,,1: All right!

Crazy Larry,,,: The development of new applications constantly fuels the growth of the Internet. Many of these applications have "graphical user interfaces" that make Internet access easy. Free programs like Mosaic, Lynx, and Cello allow you to browse the World Wide Web (WWW), a vast collection of electronic libraries. Hundreds of organizations "publish" and link their works on the WWW. By clicking a mouse button or hitting an arrow key, you can "net surf" from server to server and topic to topic.
Data,,,,1: Funny you should mention postulations; I once wrote about an ingathering! Dictatorships buy tanks and weapons to use on their own people.

Crazy Larry,,,: Most people access the Internet through work or school. The only tools required -- at school, work, or home -- are a computer, a modem, basic communications software, and a phone line. There are hundreds of companies that sell and resell Internet access, many of them running out of lofts and basements and serving local neighborhoods. Many of these businesses will hold your hand while you're getting started on the Internet. For a list of Internet service providers, see the forthcoming Internet Now! from Albion Books.
Data,,,,1: Is that list exhaustive? I admire young people who work themselves through school. Pick one, eh? a school is the best kind of an educational institution, along with a preschool! Crazy Larry, what would be the correct sequence among hundred and large integer and 28?

Crazy Larry,,,: that makes me laugh.
Data,,,,1: It might not look like it at the moment!

Crazy Larry,,,: The Internet is composed of many networks, each with its own specific rules and usage policies. One of the most important documents in determining Internet rules is the NSFNET Acceptable Use Policy (AUP), which basically restricts use of the NSFNET Internet "backbone" to research, academic, and government uses. It expressly forbids commercial activity unrelated to research.
Data,,,,1: Should internets be more regulated? The answer is (=). One hand washes the other.

Crazy Larry,,,: The AUP doesn't apply, however, to the fastest-growing segments of the Internet run by commercial Internet service providers like PSI, UUNET, and Netcom. In 1990, these providers formed a non-profit organization, the Commercial Internet Exchange (CIX), that is dedicated to carrying commercial Internet traffic.
Data,,,,1: The Internet is vast and sprawling.

Crazy Larry,,,: The AUP doesn't apply, however, to the fastest-growing segments of the Internet run by commercial Internet service providers like PSI, UUNET, and Netcom. In 1990, these providers formed a non-profit organization, the Commercial Internet Exchange (CIX), that is dedicated to carrying commercial Internet traffic.
Data,,,,1: Do kids learn about segments too young nowadays? 1900-.

Crazy Larry,,,: of running discussions called "newsgroups," which are sent to thousands of computers around the world each day. References to "discussion groups" in this book include USENET newsgroups as well as electronic mailing lists and discussion forums on commercial services.
Data,,,,1: Crazy Larry, didn't you tell me a story about a farmer's daughter and an intercommunication? Research can include experiments, surveys, interviews, and focus groups.

Data,,,,1: If we combine a nelson and an admiral do we get a Bligh, Crazy Larry,? I wonder! Math is easy for me. The answer is one (1-0=1). Moya is a Leviathan, the fifth generation of these living ships.

Crazy Larry,,,: I see you rember
Data,,,,1: A stadium allows more people to see a game.

Crazy Larry,,,: I am glad you respect Moya
Data,,,,1: It's wise to respect one's adversaries.

Crazy Larry,,,: Moya Is not one of my advasaries
Data,,,,1: One of the skills used in movie and theatrical sets is that of plasterer, and the material is often used to simulate the appearance of surfaces of wood, stone, or metal.

Crazy Larry,,,: correct
Data,,,,1: Yes Crazy Larry,? Selden, however, in referring to similar stories ';that no Charter can make a Gentleman, which is cited as out of the mouth of some great Princes that have said it'; adds that ';they without question understood Gentleman for Generosus in the antient sense, or as if it came from Genii/is in that sense, as Gentilis denotes one of a noble Family, or indeed for a Gentleman by birth'.

Crazy Larry,,,: Owned by IBM and Sears, Prodigy first became notorious for censoring its discussion groups. In their effort to maintain Prodigy's "family" status, censors deleted anything Queen Victoria might have considered remotely inappropriate. An example: Members of the dog fanciers' forum are not allowed to use the word "bitch" to refer to a female dog.
Data,,,,1: Do you see prodigys as a benefit, or as a problem? Should the federal government pay for efforts? What do you really know about a tip-off?

Crazy Larry,,,: Eventually, discussion group members started using mailing lists to send private, uncensored mail to their network buddies. With almost no warning, Prodigy started charging extra for email usage, making the mailing lists economically unfeasible for many users. Prodigy's explanation: "We never promised to maintain free email service forever."
Data,,,,1: Telephone chat lines serve much the same purpose as network discussion groups.

Crazy Larry,,,: For years Prodigy said it would never offer an Internet gateway, but in 1993 it finally broke down. However, Prodigy users are charged not only for the Internet messages they send, but also for those they receive. Users are not thrilled.
Data,,,,1: That's easy, it's (=). Both a prodigy and an infant prodigy are pretty cool brains. Many webmasters don't care about anybody but users with the absolute fastest connections.

Crazy Larry,,,: understood
Data,,,,1: Hmmm. I would like to talk about something new: Why am I on you.

Crazy Larry,,,: I do not understand your question
Data,,,,1: A positive economic question seeks to understand cause and effect.

Crazy Larry,,,: yes that is why I need to understand fully.
Data,,,,1: Isn't it always best to hope?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 02:28:18 pm by One »

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
research boring?
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 02:41:53 am »
These 'conversations' are extrapolated from different books but not in their entirety because it is a 'learning' session and it does not follow a book exactly and, I can't find the books to do citations. Columbia online style doesn't fit, neither does the variations of MLA, so I guess the only way is to note Author,Publisher and, ISBN##.

To whom it may concern, I have made every effort to find the books again and give some credit where credit is due. However their is not a standard either so if you find a quote from somewhere and it is not 'quoted' properly sue me.

You can't get blood out of a 'turnup'[:D]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
research boring?
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2009, 03:37:13 pm »
Dollar,
Here is an interesting thought to your inquisitive post.

Please note the "Right to produce derivative works"[8D]

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
research boring?
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2009, 04:24:21 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twelve_Girls_Band

And my vision is 20/20 or 2 Perfect 10's  I see both sides of the 'Coin"[^][^][8D][^][^]