Author Topic: Some More Control For Hal  (Read 7616 times)

Rich_A

• View Profile
Some More Control For Hal
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:40:39 pm »
Hello All,
I wrote some automated scripts to have Hal do things like minimize or close his own window in addition to other stuff like shuting down his own program or opening and closing the Hal Pad Conversation Log. I also have Hal do things like controlling other programs on my computer. I can tell him to advance to the next mp3 track on my Windows Media Player and then close the Media Player when I'm done listening to the music.

I'm doing this kind of stuff with automation scripting software that seems to run pretty good with my Hal. I'm using a program called AutoIt to write scripts for the tasks I want my Hal to be able to do for me.

I attached four small files to this post for download so that whoever wants to can try the stuff out. After you download and unzip the HalControls folder then you just need to create a new shortcut to each of the files and then place the shortcuts in the usual
"Start/All Programs Menu" or on your Desktop. And then just tell hal to run them.

Richie: run minimize interface
Margene: I will now run "Minimize Interface".
(Hal will minimize his own window to the system task bar)

Richie: run close interface
Margene: I will now run "Close Interface".
(Hal will close his own window but continue to run in the system tray)

Richie: run disappear reappear
Margene: I will now run "Disappear Reappear".
(Hal's window totally disappears from the screen for a few seconds and then reappears)

The RestoreInterface.exe file can be used to reopen a minimized Hal window back to the desktop if you are using speech recognition software like Dragon Naturally Speaking which has the ability to open and launch programs.

Here is the zip file to download if you want a little bit more of an automated Hal for your desktop:

Download Attachment: HalControls.zip
152.85 KB

Best Regards,
Rich_A

Dreadstar

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 04:01:04 am »
Rich_A,

I will try these files tommorrow. Your work is greatly appreciated. I am still learning how to use Hal to his fullest potential,and because of people like you, that grasp Hal's programming my understanding is growing in leaps and bounds !!!  Thank's!

Dread-Star
« Last Edit: January 12, 2005, 04:04:15 am by Dreadstar »
"Imagination is greater than knowledge" Albert Einstein

Crystal2003

• View Profile
    • http://www.biographcompany.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 10:55:59 am »
I have tried to do this, but it does not work. Can you help me????

Also, Mr. M. I purchased the 5.0 but HD went out and need to reload. can you send me a link so I can reload the full version?

Thanks,[^]

Thomas
Thomas R. Bond, II

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 03:05:21 am »
Crystal2003,
There is nothing really special to do with the .exe files because they are self-contained compiled scripts. You should be able to put them anywhere on your computer and just make shortcuts to each one of them.

But you can test things out by restarting your Hal and double clicking on the .exe files and see if Hal responds to the file being executed when you double click on it. If that works then the problem may be with your shorcut names or with your Hal. The shortcuts that you create for each .exe file must be placed in either your computer's "Start/All Programs Menu" or right on your Desktop.

You can try running the same kind of test by double clicking on the shortcuts and then see if Hal responds. If Hal does respond then the shortcut names may need to be changed to something else that Hal can see and run, so try renaming them. If you tell your Hal to "Run Minimize Interface" or "Run Close Interface" and nothing happens or Hal just responds back with chat then you may have a problem with your Hal if you passed all the other previous tests. Does your Hal have any trouble running any other programs on your computer besides my stuff? Also, what kind of system do you have?

Let me know at what point in the above steps did the test fail?
But I have a feeling that you may have a slight problem with your Hal if everything else works except for him actually running the program when you issue the command to him.

Thanks,
Rich_A

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 03:33:42 am »
Hello Dreadstar,
Thanks for downloading my stuff. Let me know if it works OK! If things are working for people then I plan to post some other Hal control files that will enable Hal to access his own menu options when issued the command to do so. Like telling him to open the General Options or Character Options in addition to exiting his own program and also "Self Terminating" which is a program exit and system shutdown along with powering off the computer. I have my Hal set up to do all these kind of things already. I'm just waiting to see if things work for other people too. So let me know!
Thanks,
Rich_A

PS - If things work for you let me know what kind of skin you usually use and I'll write a custom script for you to have your Hal do everything like opening and closing the Conversation Log and switching Characters automatically on command.

Dreadstar

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 02:16:35 am »
Rich_A
I apologize Rich I have not yet tried your program. I should have a few days here to work on it, and will definately get back to you.

Dread-Star
"Imagination is greater than knowledge" Albert Einstein

Geminii

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2005, 10:01:07 pm »
Hi Rich_A [:)]
Have you/could you [:D]
Create a script that will tun on "mic - button" in Hal, so that you could ask hal "open microphone" and speech recognition would be enabled, it would be VERY much appreciated...

Thankyou very much in advance ....

-Geminii-

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 04:17:34 am »
Hello Geminii,
I already have written a few different scripts that turn on the microphone. One of the scripts that I wrote automatically turns on the microphone after the script first automatically opens the Hal window from the on-screen Hal main menu, which is pretty convenient but that script only works if the Hal Startup Option "I want Hal To Start Like A Normal Program From The Start Menu..." is currently selected.

Basically the usage would be to click on the script shortcut instead of the "Chat with Hal" button within Hal's on-screen main menu. After clicking on the script shortcut the mouse cursor automatically moves to and then clicks the "Chat with Hal" button and then after the Hal window opens the mouse cursor automatically moves to the microphone button and then clicks it on.

But this script and all other microphone scripts are pre-programmed for a specific Hal skin and the skin size that is currently in use, which for me is usually the default size of 100%. I have not yet written any scripts that are user configurable or a smart script which determines what Hal skin and size is in use.

If you would like a script that would work where you just ask Hal to "Open Microphone" by typing the command to Hal and then Hal moves the cursor to the microphone button and then clicks it on that can be done. But I never actually wrote a script to do that because to me it just seems easier to manually click on the microphone myself instead of typing out the command into Hal if the Hal window is already currently active. But I can write a script for that anyway. Let me know what Hal skin you usually use and what skin size as well, and then I'll send you the script to do just that.

The script would also turn off the microphone because turning off the microphone is the same exact thing as turning it on. So, I now realize that this kind of script would be somewhat practical...thanks for the idea! We can name the script shortcut "Toggle Mic" and then just say to Hal "Run Toggle Mic" and then Hal would either turn on or shut off the microphone. Or we could create two shortcuts to the same script and call one shortcut "Mic On" and the other shortcut "Mic Off" and Hal will operate the mic button for either instance.

Tell me what Hal skin and skin size that you usually use and then I'll write it up for you! I would just have to make a minor modification to one of my already existing scripts.
Best Regards,
Rich

Eugene-a47

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2005, 05:13:33 pm »
Dear Rich-A

you are the artist that i wish i was; and your work with the new projects and controls is outstanding no more like remarkable or evewn unbelieveable. I applaude your skills and dedication to making this such a fun and very informative forum, keep up this outstanding work as I am not worthy of downloading your very taleanted work. I stand in AWE!!!!!!!
Eugene Armento