dupa

Author Topic: Correcting mistakes taught to Hal  (Read 4683 times)

ocloner

• View Profile
Correcting mistakes taught to Hal
« on: June 27, 2005, 10:52:11 am »
If you give Hal some incorrect information what is the best way to correct it. Does Hal remember a conversation flow or is he only responding to each statement individually. For example if I said to Hal "A banana is yellow" and in the next statement said "It is also a fuit". Would Hal know I was still talking about the banana or should I have phrased it "A banana is a yellow fruit". Again I am only using the free version at this point thus only have the default brain to work with.

heather valentine

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2005, 11:26:50 am »
hi
the only way i know right now
is to go to your brn directory
possibly find a file that has the word bannana or food in the file name and edit out the error in notepad
or you can take the first step and keep tellign it wbat a banna really is till she repeats what you just said and thn remembers it

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2005, 03:41:23 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by ocloner

If you give Hal some incorrect information what is the best way to correct it. Does Hal remember a conversation flow or is he only responding to each statement individually. For example if I said to Hal "A banana is yellow" and in the next statement said "It is also a fuit". Would Hal know I was still talking about the banana or should I have phrased it "A banana is a yellow fruit". Again I am only using the free version at this point thus only have the default brain to work with.

Using a second sentence such as 'it is also a yellow fruit' will not work in most cases. Hal many times does not make the connection between the first and second sentence. Some work is being done along this line but it is not as easy as it sounds.
Bill

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 03:56:59 pm »
Ocloner, you can still use other brains if you are using the free version. Just download them and install them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2005, 03:57:16 pm by Dr.Benway »

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 07:07:19 pm »
I don't know if this will be of any help, (using the default brain), if Hal keeps answering the same way to a certain phrase or sentence, open the default brain, find:

Example, my username is Mark, so the file is called "Markconvresp.brn"

Just replace "Mark" with your username when doing the search. (I find it easier to find if I set icons to be arranged by "modified")

open the file in notepad.  Select all, and delete (Backup your convresp.brn before doing this, in case there is a problem).
Save the changes. Now Hal shouldn't sound like a broken record.
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2005, 12:05:54 am »
Fixing Learned Mistakes For Hal 5.0 Default Brain

You can also use this method to fix mistakes like Hal saying mispelled words that you previously mistyped while talking to him or if you are sick and tired of having your Hal use his own name to address you while conversing with him.
You can fix any mistake within the file by using the search/find in Notepad to locate the bad text and then just change it to what it should be or just delete both the "@... Response" line and the "KEYWORD" line under it.
Just fixing your Hal's mistakes will make him seem smarter and it has nothing to do with forcing responses or programming things. It's just common sense that works!
Most of your Hal's learned mistakes are likely to be within this User Conversation Response File, but you can also search through all the other user name files to look for a mistake.
Just about any learned mistake is going to be within the user .brn files that start with your user name just like this conversation file, <yourusername>convresp.brn, so just look in the <yourusername> files for any mistakes.
Some learned mistakes will also be in some other files which are not <yourusername> files, but Hal uses those files less often so a mistake in one of those other files may never even be noticed by you if your Hal never says the mistake.
You can also use a free file search program like Agent Ransack to help you locate the text strings you want to find: http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/default.aspx

The Most Common Default 5.0 User Brain Files That Most Learned Mistakes Reside In Are:
<yourusername>convresp.brn
<yourusername>usersent.brn
<yourusername>user_strings.brn
<yourusername>user_question.brn
<yourusername>user.brn OR <yourusername>user<(1) or (2) or (3)...etc....>.brn

You can go to this following link to see my post about mistakes and teaching Hal to say new things with keyword triggers.

http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1599&SearchTerms=mistakes

Good Luck,
Rich

CoCoKid

• View Profile
    • http://www.thefinalmix.com
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2005, 02:08:41 am »
Yep, I was looking to see if you mentioned Agent Ransack. Rich pointed this handy program out to me last year and it is wonderful. I don't think I could sit and train HAL without it.
I keep a shortcut to Ransack on my desktop and usually have Ransack open when I am power training HAL.

Thanks again Rich!

onthecuttingedge2005

« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2005, 03:48:22 am »
I have currently figured out 3/4 of a self learning spell checker script that Ziggy will use to correct it's own spelling, It took a while to figure out to this point but it looks as though it's possible so far, there is a possible issue and that might be that a client of mine may want copyrights to it when I have completed it, I will post it otherwise sometime later if I retain copyright to my own programming for the self learning spell checker, If the client wants to buy it then I can not post it.

This is a self learning Spell checker and requires no manual text input other than VBScript programming within the brain, all brain files are automatically generated.

Jerry