Author Topic: noob questions re: browser  (Read 4805 times)

Scratch

• View Profile
noob questions re: browser
« on: September 17, 2005, 12:50:50 am »
Hi to all,
This is my first post here. I just got UltraHal and I love it! I have always called my computer Hal and set all the Windows system sounds to use Hal 9000's voice from 2001, so ultraHal is a dream come true for me! I am using the free version for now (any word on when version 6 will be released? I plan to buy) and I just managed to install the XTF plug-in. I had a couple of general newbie questions for anyone:
1) Is there anyway to get rid of the frame that UltraHal adds to the web browser he opens?
2) I want to use Hal to control Windows OS as much as possible; Can I assign text phrases to do specific actions? For example, right now I have to say "open outlook express" to get email app to run, how could I change that so I am able to just say "open email"?
Thanks in advance for any replies!

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2005, 01:06:24 am »

Check out Rich's posting down below.

[;)]
« Last Edit: September 25, 2005, 07:42:17 am by Duskrider »

Scratch

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2005, 01:57:51 am »
Thanks, Duskrider!
I found shortcut.dat and modified... it's working great. The possibilities are endless! What I dream of being able to do is walk into the room and say "Hal, wake up!" and the computer would wake out of sleep mode. Basically, Hal would BE the operating system. Of course I appreciate the enjoyment factor of the AI, too, don't get me wrong! I'm teaching mine to have a marxist streak, just for fun [;)]

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2005, 07:00:50 pm »
Question for you. Where did you get a voice like the Hal9000 from the movie? I have all that Zabaware and MSN have to offer and none of them sound like the Hal 9000. Can you provide a link?
Thanks
Bill

Rich_A

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2005, 04:36:50 am »
Modifying stuff in shortcut.dat is not the way to do it.
Reason is because the shortcut.dat file gets totally wiped-out and rebuilt every time you restart your Hal program, so any change made within it gets lost every time the file is automatically updated.

If you change the entry "Outlook Express" to "Mail" it will eventually change back to "Outlook Express" again, unless you disable database updating in your Hal's startup options, which is not recommended.

The way that will always work is either change the actual shortcut's name or make a copy of the shortcut and then rename it to what you want.

You can also do the same thing for URL's located in your computer's Favorites folder. Change a URL to any name you want and then tell Hal to run that name to have him automatically open an Internet Explorer window and take you to the URL's website. And there is no banner or frame in the IE browser's window when you have Hal run a URL shortcut to a website.

If you need help on how to change a program or URL shortcut name on your computer just post for more help again.

Here's a link to an old thread on similar shortcut issues:
http://www.zabaware.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1194&SearchTerms=shortcuts

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2005, 07:57:19 am »

Right on, Rich.

Bill, I think Scratch is saying that he
"set all the Windows system sounds to use Hal 9000's voice from 2001"

Many sounds of Hal on internet. Do Google search of Hal +wav

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2005, 10:01:13 am »
Hey Rich!
You've been MIA for a while...glad to see you're back among the living!!
[^]
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Scratch

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2005, 04:03:03 pm »
Thanks Rich for the helpful info. I am starting to understand how to make Hal use the links, and it seems that since shortcut.dat gets overwritten, the URL would be added to mywebhal.uhp?
And yes, i was refering to simply using .wavs from "2001" for system sounds. But now I've recorded UltraHal's voice to .wavs and replaced all of my system sounds. I found a good free program for capturing audio
( http://www.any-sound-recorder.com/ )
The free download is limited to 30 seconds of recording time I think, but that's more than enough to have Hal say "Critical Stop!".