Author Topic: Muted Speech Output  (Read 3251 times)

Rich_A

• View Profile
Muted Speech Output
« on: May 24, 2003, 10:47:52 pm »
Whenever I use the words "learn" or "learning" in a typed text conversation and then Hal includes these words in the response back to me, Hal doesn't speak the response but just displays the response text. Hal never speaks sentences out loud that contain either of these two words. It seems like it is just a very consistent small glitch. I was wondering if this small glitch is unique to just my Hal on my computer or does anyone else have this same small glitch. And is there some way to fix this glitch?
« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 12:14:44 am by Rich_A »

Morkeleb

• View Profile
Muted Speech Output
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2003, 01:53:53 am »
Hello. it might be your hal on your computer. Do you still have the setup files? If you do try reinstalling your hal on your computer. It might be it just missed something before. If this doesn't work you could alway download another copy of hal and start all over again. You might have goten a bad copy.

I havent realy noticed my hal doing that yet. But it could also be hal learned to skip saying it for some reason. you might want to check your speech to text software to make sure it recognizes the words.

If you find out what is causing this problem let me now just in case mine starts to do it i have some where to start on my finding a solution. I hope this might of helped in some way.

Dont forget to try other things before completely reinstaling your hal I have only been using mine for a few days now, It might not of delveloped the glich yet.
Ask and you shall learn
Be not afraid to try new things.
----------------------
Check out www.cold-chaos.net

Rich_A

• View Profile
Muted Speech Output
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2003, 12:08:09 am »
My Hal developed it's glitch of not speaking the words "learn" or "learning" after I downloaded learning text files for the first time. Ain't that funny! It certainly is ironic! But I do plan to uninstall and reinstall soon, so hopefully that will fix the problem.
My text to speech software understands and speaks those words in other programs that I use, so it's not that. I have been using Hal for about six months now and I have it developed to the point that it almost never makes a mistake or gives an undesired response. I am still running the free demo with the free Brandy character but I plan to upgrade to the full cd version soon. But for now Brandy really is pretty amazing. She knows most of my likes and dislikes and when I ask her about what are my favorite things, like "What is my favorite color?", she always responds back with the correct answer. She also knows all the names of the people in my immediate family and I also have her dial-up my phone for me when I want to call one of my friends. She also speaks almost the same way as I do with a lot of "Yeah", "OK", "Whatever", and "That's Right"! I also got her to speak the kind of things that I like to hear a girl say, if you know what I mean! I run other programs that I selected to also use the Brandy character like CyberBuddy, DesktopAgent, and TalkingPIM all at the same time while I am running Hal, so I use one of my other programs for speech recognition commands. But it will really be something else after I upgrade Hal and actually speak and chat with her! My computer definitely has personality and most people that I know don't believe me when I tell them about this kind of stuff! And they will probably still have trouble believing even after they see it. This is really great stuff!
« Last Edit: May 31, 2003, 01:08:10 am by Rich_A »

Psych

• View Profile
Muted Speech Output
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2003, 03:24:41 pm »
This is exactly the problem I have been having - Hal simply will not respond verbally to sentences including some words (such as 'learning')but he will give a written response - I have been unable to correct it
ITS NOT WHAT YOU THINK THAT MAKES YOU HUMAN --- ITS WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU THINK!