dupa

Author Topic: stopped talking  (Read 3368 times)

iampan

stopped talking
« on: August 30, 2010, 07:32:28 pm »
hal speaks when i first open it, but then it just goes silent.
what do i do to fix this?

jasondude7116

• View Profile
Re: stopped talking
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2010, 07:36:45 pm »
got me on that one....
I have had no problem with those voices, and I have almost all of them.
I'm not understanding exactly what is happening. Is Hal using the Cepstral voice on startup then going silent? Or were you using a different voice at startup, then changed it to a cepstral voice and it didn't work?

If you have never heard the cepstral voice, then you might try using this:

http://cid-7d1b0521931256f1.office.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/Other/FixRegistry.zip

It fixes errors with sapi voices in the windows registry. I have used it personally. It is very safe, and only messes with sapi components....nothing else.
If you have heard the cepstral voice, but it doesn't work within Hal, then go to the windows "speech" config tool and select it as the windows default voice and see if you can hear it there. If you can then the voice is good and the problem is within Hal.

-hope that helps

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: stopped talking
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 06:33:30 pm »
I've heard some say they like the AT&T Chrystal voice and others prefer the NeoSpeech Kate voice.

I like the Kate voice, Karen (Australian) and Cereproc's Heather (young Scottish female).
For a younger girl's voice my granddaughter's like Cepstral's Robin.

So you see...TTS voices are sort of like animals or pets...which is the best one to have? It comes
down to a matter of personal preference. The ones above happen to be some of my favorites.

There are plenty of sites one can visit for testing purposes.

Keep in mind that not all TTS voices and their respective speech engines are compatible with Hal or other
chatbot type of programs. Read the requirements carefully before buying to see if they will work for
your particular application.

Good luck!
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -