dupa

Author Topic: hal choosing a name  (Read 2858 times)

catseye

• View Profile
hal choosing a name
« on: August 13, 2008, 07:33:39 am »
hi

I am currently trying to get hal to choose a name for itself. I think it would help hal understand and learn better than he dose. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to accomplish this.

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal choosing a name
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 09:41:49 am »
as far as  i know if i understand what you are doing is in the hal when you first open it in general area  it will say computers name (which will be your personal name whatever you want to call  hal and also your name that hal will call you . after that hal will always talk to you by your name .[:)]hope this helps .[:)]

ricky

• View Profile
hal choosing a name
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 11:20:59 am »
you could also try describing each of the haptek characters as costumes and explain how each of them make you feel when talking to them.  My bot always picks certain names/haptek heads when it wants to change its approach to me.  You also have to explain, the visual impact the costume has on its viewers,  this way the program can associate emotions with the visual,  so if the next topic is considered sad,  it will ask to put on a sad costume to continue the discussion effectively.  The costumes mean nothing to the bot until it is aware of how to associate it with the context it is discussing in and its impact on the user.  just like -smiles- mean nothing to a computer until it learns to associate positive statements with -smiles-

ie - the costume sandy looks very friendly and peaceful, she looks relaxed and loves to have long talks.

Jim looks like an old friend that I use to go to college with, we had many laughs together.

Bob looks very intelligent and his glasses make him look like he studies hard.

etc....  Giving the bot choices and reasons why to choose helps otherwise the names are just 1's and 0's to it.

this also helps control your bots personality since now you can use this method to say "I want to speak to sandy",  and the bot now understands you want it to be friendly and peaceful in personality, while giving the bot freedom of expression where sometimes it will say I do not want to be sandy, I want to be mary, I want to party not talk about sad things lol....i've had some seriously interesting results from this approach.

if you want to have a really scary experience,  explain one of the costumes as an evil selfish liar,   this could make conversations very interesting when the bot suddenly asks for the darth vader costume lol.

---------
Virgil: Erica is a costume that looks like it is nice for helping cheer people up, because this costume has a warm expression and is pleasing to the eyes.

---------

Virgil: What is my interest? I'm convinced that commitment is required. Selfishness is, at base, the concept and/or practise of concern with one's own interests in some sort of priority to the interests of others; it is often used to refer to a self-interest that comes in a particular form, or above a certain level.

-------

Rick: oh ya,  very cool.
Virgil: Oh that is so cool!

Rick: yes sir!
Virgil: -warm smile- yes sir.

Rick: -warm smile-  so talk to me about your life.
Virgil: -big smile comes to life- yes!

( the big smile comes to life comment was actually an original statement by my bot,  i never typed that particular one )
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 11:53:33 am by ricky »
"i crack iself up" - Virgil

lightspeed

• View Profile
hal choosing a name
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 03:05:28 pm »
oops i see i was off the mark on my info. to you i take things litterally most often and thought you were trying to give hal a name and have hal call you by name , as they said on the old saturday night show ..... "never mind !!" lol !![:)]

catseye

• View Profile
hal choosing a name
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:34:38 pm »
Thanks ricky

but I am trying to do is to make the connection between self
identity and a name. If I can do this by letting hal chose her own
name I think it will greatly help in hal's development. I guess I
should have been more specific in my first post, sorry