dupa

Author Topic: Who do I need to threaten to get what I paid for?  (Read 14612 times)

AleCat

• View Profile
Who do I need to threaten to get what I paid for?
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2004, 02:18:17 am »
Clavdio-
I've seen many chatterbot programs, this UltraHal is pretty outdated and expensive for the full version.  It does seem to have good advanced features for programming it etc... to do advanced stuff, but have you checked out the Verbots at http://www.verbots.com/ ???

It is a really good chatterbot program and it seems pretty stable (you can easily open programs and webpages, etc..), try the free version and if you want to pay for the standard version it's only $10!

-AleCat

AleCat

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2004, 02:24:23 am »
Clavdio-
Have you checked out any other chatterbot-type programs?
This Ultrahal seems pretty powerful, but it seems a little out-dated and expensive.  It also doesn't sound like UltraHal is being supported anymore.
You should check out the Verbot at: http://www.verbots.com it's one of the better chatterbot programs out there, download the free version and if you like it the standard version is only $10!

-AleCat

Art

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2004, 06:00:57 am »
Alecat,
Verbot is a SCRIPTED chatbot. It has no real provision for
learning nor retaining what was previously said. It only
replies with "canned" responses. It does not "learn" from a text
file nor can it compete with even half of the things Hal can do.

While these types of verbots can be scripted to appear clever
in their responses, they really do not come close. The old adage,
"You get what you pay for" you will find, really is true.

Lastly, read through some of the previous postings and you will
find out that Zabaware is still being supported though perhaps
not as regular as some would like. Robert has a rather full plate
but he will get to you.

Good luck,
- Art -
In the world of AI it's the thought that counts!

- Art -

Inquisitor_Uk

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2004, 10:59:52 am »
If you go onto Overnet (www.overnet.com) you can download the FULL version with the code to make it work.

and before anyone jumps on me , I PAID for mine.  I only saw this after I had my CD.
Inquisitor Was Here!

Jay Nicholson

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 14, 2004, 02:15:40 am »
Interesting.

I've been downloading bots like crazy this month. I'm one of those people that gets on a kick for some subject matter - this month is all about bots.

I came across Hal - which I find interesting - but I couldn't justify the price. Then following the threads about other bots all I could find was commercial based or web based bots. The only other one I came across was the virbot. And while I was a little worried about the price being so cheap (you usually do get what you pay for) - it turns out that I paid for great support by the developers. I had a problem at first due to running windows 98 (don't laugh) and they email me back right away and helped me solve the problem.

So I decided any company that responds that fast might be worth my 10 bucks - so I went ahead and bought the full version.

To make a long store short - they recently added some learning capabilities to the latest version - seems like they update the software about every two weeks and usually it includes features based on input of the forum.

It may not work exactly like hal - but so far their customer support and updates are making me feel like I got a whole lot for 10 bucks and a new hobby.

I'm thinking about buying the full version of hal too - but I'm not sure where the future lies in throwing out double the money?

-={Jay}=-

Quixote

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2004, 12:37:53 pm »
I too have been looking into Verbot ( www.verbot.com ) and it seems that the administrators of the forum really pay attention to the clients. I have been very impressed with the level of service that they offer; it seems that not a week goes by that they have not implemented a feature based on a request in the forum, and they are always helpful. With features like merging knowledge bases, a new learning feature, and csv file import support, it is definately a really cool program, scripted or not. Seeing as I am geared towards home-automation and security, it is more sensible for me to work with an application that I have easy and complete control over. For example, if you say something and you receive a response that you do not like, you can correct it, and it will remember it.

So, guys, check out www.verbot.com and look for the community forums. I'm sure they could use a few more good brains over there. Judging from the amount of effort you put into Hal, you would be a valuable asset to them I'm sure. Try helping a site that actually gives a #$%& about thier customers/potential customers!

spydaz

• View Profile
    • http://www.spydazweb.co.uk/
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2004, 03:07:40 pm »
Heh Heh Heh [:D]

You GUYS! I love all Yall... I must Admit Customer service Maybe GOOD BUT, HAL is only RESTRICTED by IMAGINATION.....

HAL CAN DO ANYTHING but YOU HAVE TO BUILD THE SCRIPT.
THE HAL ENGINE is THE best "Thats why VERBOT copied it" :
THE VERBOT version IS a more RESTRICTED PROG.
HAL is more UNIVERSALLY PLUG AND PLAY with existing TECHnology & UPCOMMING TECH........

All programs have some form of price :: HAL is QUITE cheap :: Although $10 seems to be Unbeatable....

THE FREE VERSION is CLOSE to the FULL VERSION so dont worry UNLESS you grow attatched as I DID...

THIS AI to me SEEMS to be the one... ANY VERSION

AleCat

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2004, 03:41:24 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by spydaz
THE HAL ENGINE is THE best "Thats why VERBOT copied it" :

Well I've been using the Verbot since early 1998 (shortly after Sylvie first came out), and apparently the first julia chatterbot which Sylvie was based on was developed in 1994.  The earliest web archive I've seen for Hal is dated December 1998 ( http://web.archive.org/web/19981212034301/http://www.zabaware.com/ ), so saying that Verbot "copied" Hal is pretty ridiculous.  Also they work completely different, Hal's brain is a hodge-podge of data that I can't even begin to figure out, where the verbot's brain is a pretty straight-forward collection of rules, inputs and outputs.

Don Ferguson

• View Profile
    • http://www.cortrapar.com
« Reply #23 on: June 26, 2004, 01:05:26 am »
Hello AleCat,

Thank you for posting!

I especially appreciate learning about http://web.archive.org and their archive of old websites!  It is useful and excellent!

Like you, I've been following A.I. on the web for many years. There are lots of free, paid, open, or proprietary chatterbots out there, of every kind and nature. The Simon Laven page is full of them, and there are hundreds more.

When I evaluate competitive chatterbots, I use Ultra Hal as the benchmark. Then I check whether "Brand X" has these eight features:

1. Does it have turn-key local-PC installation with zero adware/spyware/nagware?

2. Are a variety of animated characters included with installation?

3. Is speech synthesis included with installation?

4. Is there a large database included?

5. Can the database can be deleted or edited by the user?

6. Does it have real-time learning ability during conversations?

7. Does it do correct pronoun reversals of "you" to "I" or "me"?

8. Do the characters "stay in character" during conversations (rather than relying on the old excuse "I am a computer" whenever they get stuck)?

The above list eliminates most contenders.

Zabaware has co-sponsored the Chatterbot Challenge in the past and promoted it on this site. They are evidently not afraid of competition.  Any competitor who enhances general awareness has the potential to "lift the market category" for everybody!

Specific feature-by-feature comparisons, with effort towards objectivity, are informative for Ultra Hal developers.

It would be useful to do an objective feature-by-feature comparison per the list I have posted above.  (I hope that our other forum members will add evaluation criteria to the list, but I suggest the above eight questions as the starting point.)

Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Don
Don Ferguson
E-mail: fergusonrkfd@prodigy.net
Don's other forum posts: http://www.zabaware.com/forum/search.asp?mode=DoIt&MEMBER_ID=274

HALImprover

• View Profile
    • BrianTaylor.me
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2004, 02:58:34 am »
One point I would like to add to your list of evaluation criteria is:

Does the program understand the fundamental meaning of each remark?

Or put more simply;

Can the chatbot STAY ON TOPIC?

This is one "feature" that chatbot programmers really need to concentrate on. I would say that Alice (by Richard Wallace) is the best at responding with RRR (Reasonably Relevant Responses), but is "hard-coded" with responses to specific patterned remarks which diminishes the possibility of variety. Hal, on the other hand, can respond with a plethora of responses, although mostly nonsensical and off-topic, they can be RRR while maintaining variety. I almost never get the same response to the same input with Hal, unless the remark I make triggers a specific function (greetings, time question, etc.).

If variety is the spice of life, what are you flavoring?
Living life with a loving heart, peaceful mind, and bold spirit.

AleCat

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2004, 06:22:08 pm »
Don:
I like your list of metrics to compare chat-bot programs on, here are a couple more I would add to the list:

9) Is it easy to modify the bot's knowledge and get support for updating the brain, or for the program itself?

10) Is there a way to swap out or combine brains for different situations/applications?

Also none of these items address the abilities of what the bot can do for you as a personal assistant, such as remember dates/appointments and then remind you, run programs for you, etc...

HALImprover-
quote:
Originally posted by HALImprover
Does the program understand the fundamental meaning of each remark?

No AI really understands the "fundamental meaning of each remark", and none will until it is really as smart as a human - a true Artificial General Intelligence.  When that time comes, you have more things to worry about than how it chats with you. Maybe what you mean is: "Does the bot do a good job of giving the illusion of understanding the meaning of each remark."

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2004, 07:09:48 pm »
In my opinion Hal is the best that there is, but if you want to see more bots look at the following link:
http://www.angelfire.com/trek/amanda/botlist.htm
Now go out and have fun, but you will be back.
Bill

Skyye

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2004, 02:42:13 pm »
well for a start, I'll say  something here.Yes,  We can call it competitive chatterbots as such and you can have your nice little guidelines to attempt to compare to if you wish BUT I'll stand by the fact that Verbot is a superior chatbot to alot that I have seen of late and shows extreme promise! May I add also that the staff and their service at verbot are absolutely  professional,  polite, courteous and extremely prompt in their updating and correspondence to their customers!.  I shall elaborate further, the wonderful professional way they treat their customers is so impressive! They are a fantastic people persons company and really care about their product and really do assist and answer the people promptly, efficiently and genuinely. At least when you contact them they have the decency and courtesy to contact you back which is alot more than I can say for Ultrahal and Robert Medeszka, who I'm still waiting  to receive a reply from by the way, after months of emailing!!!!.  Believe me, compare all you like but Verbot will go far and I sincerely recommend it to all those who seek quality AI intelligence software and excellent customer service! Afterall, Quality service says it all! I also give Verbot my  top vote!!! It's not just about making a quick buck and ignoring your customers and their needs afterall, its about quality products and quality service and being satisfied with that product! I rest my case!

Quixote

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2004, 04:12:19 pm »
Verbot rules. You suck.
Go and masterbate to your ultra hal.