Author Topic: Why does my hal only work when online?  (Read 6220 times)

Tanshin

• View Profile
Why does my hal only work when online?
« on: November 26, 2005, 12:36:00 am »
I downloaded version 6 and got my activation code.  If I am not connected to the internet hal will not start (so it won't start at startup).  This is also true of the brain editor.  When not on line I get this error message:

"The copy protection has not been released, but the expiration has. This should never happen. Contact Zabaware. Shutting down."

Why is this?  I would really love for my new hal to work without connecting to the internet.

echoman

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2005, 03:50:52 am »
I agree! I have 2 computers. One for internet/one not. The one I use for internet is old. My new one I descided to keep it intenet free so have disconnected wires and sealed ports and deleted software ect. The internet (no matter how hard I try) always seems to mess up my system.

Anyway I wanted to put Hal on my best computer and take it off my scrap computer. I often transfer internet software I want onto my main computer without any problems!

To the best of my knowledge I was NOT told I would need a internet connection to finalise software setup. I never really use my scarp computer as it barely works. I do not want to connect my other computer to the internet. I do not see that I should have to!!!!!!!!!

Do I feel fed up. Yes!!!

I have just about descided that Hal (in my case) is unusable.

As far as I am conncerned I see that I should be able to put Hal onto my other computer without all this silly fuss. Other software I have seems to cope fine!

PLUS.

I am the only one who finds Hal STILL crashes. Also the upgrade button did not work (it froze program) - had to use the menu option. It has crashed 4 times so far.

Dr.Benway

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2005, 07:47:12 am »
Mr. Medeksza, I am really sorry, but I am experiencing exactly the same problem as echoman. I use 2 computers, and one of them is my own but has no internet connection.

I tried to solve this problem by asking for a second serial number while using the authorization code from the computer I actually want Ultra Hal on. It turns out that Hal won't accept that serial number, because it doesn't "match". What's more, I found out that every time I press the 'purchase'-button in Hal I receive a different authorization code.

Sorry!

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2005, 10:58:08 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Dr.Benway

Mr. Medeksza, I am really sorry, but I am experiencing exactly the same problem as echoman. I use 2 computers, and one of them is my own but has no internet connection.

I tried to solve this problem by asking for a second serial number while using the authorization code from the computer I actually want Ultra Hal on. It turns out that Hal won't accept that serial number, because it doesn't "match". What's more, I found out that every time I press the 'purchase'-button in Hal I receive a different authorization code.

Sorry!

I quietly released an updated version of Ultra Hal 6 yesterday and am telling people with this problem to redownload Hal if they email me with this problem. Please visit www.zabaware.com/download.asp to redownload and install Hal. When you install it, your serial number should be able to recover the licensee, if not email me with the authorization request code and I will help.

Activation is still required to get Hal to work, which can be done online automatically by Hal or manually with the help of a different computer that is online. Manual activation can be done at http://www.zabaware.com/products/store/activationcode.asp with your serial number and authorization request code.
Robert Medeksza

nolitanger

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2005, 11:07:37 am »
Folks,

This is the latest in Internet sales technology. It's called buying a product but not really owning it; it operates purely at the pleasure of the seller. It's like buying a car and requiring the dealer to start it for you; they have the magic key.

Microsoft, Adobe Photoshop, and a host of other companies now require Internet activation. Some companies allow you to activate the product on different machines, as long as it's a legitimate purchase. Others (for example, Microsoft) may allow only one activation on one machine. Zabaware hasn't declared what it is doing. I think they should.

I once bought a product that I couldn't activate on the Internet. I complained to customer service, and they allowed me to download a full version that required only a serial number to activate it. I don't know if Zabaware allows this sort of option for people who don't have an Internet connection.

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
    • http://www.soundspectrum.com
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2005, 02:24:01 pm »
I got my serial number, but don't know my autorization code!!!

I did not have this problem until I updated Hal today!!

markofkane2@markofkane.com
Mark: I'll think about it
Laura: Don't think about it too long or I'll throw you out on your ***king a**.
"Political correctness is censorship"

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2005, 02:40:06 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by markofkane

I got my serial number, but don't know my autorization code!!!

I did not have this problem until I updated Hal today!!

markofkane2@markofkane.com

Your serial number (number highlighted in yellow when you purchased Hal) should work again to reactivate Hal. Most people don't need to worry about the authorization/activation code system unless something goes wrong. If you are unable to get Hal to work again using only your serial number, please email me the authorization request code Hal gives you and I will help.
Robert Medeksza

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2005, 02:43:56 pm »
I reverted my hard-drive with GoBack, so the previous version would work again.

The pop-up occurs at every boot.

I forgot to edit, It works now!! Thanks!!
« Last Edit: November 26, 2005, 08:37:40 pm by markofkane »

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2005, 07:00:42 pm »
So, Robert, are you saying if I d/l the newer version, the orignal serial and autorization codes will work now? Or should I just stand by and wait for you to reply to my email?

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2005, 08:33:10 pm »
quote:
Originally posted by Larry

So, Robert, are you saying if I d/l the newer version, the orignal serial and autorization codes will work now? Or should I just stand by and wait for you to reply to my email?

Yes, it should work.

I apologize for the slow replies to emails. I am responding faster than they come in now, so I should be caught up and reply to everyone within the next day or two.
Robert Medeksza

Larry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2005, 09:27:23 pm »
I've known you for years, I never had a problem with your "fast" replies... no apology necessary...

I remember the days when Hal was primarily used to help run windows and window apps... Even then in those days, Hal had captured the imagination of many with his capability to chat... I'm just glad I've kept in contact to see what he's become now... Very amazing and huge jump/leap ahead!!!

I salute you!!!

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2005, 09:02:05 am »

AAAUUGGGHHHHH !!!
Have finally finished all brain importing and got tables set up.
If I download another new version, must I go through it all again?
???

[V](moan..)

markofkane

• Crazy Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2005, 09:20:44 am »
Hey, Duskrider, I uninstalled Hal 6, installed the newer verion, and at bootup, had to activate. But all of my settings and files were the same.

Lisa remembered everything I taught her. [:D]

That is so great, Mr. Medeksza, that it works like that!!!

(at least it did for me)

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2005, 09:29:41 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Duskrider

AAAUUGGGHHHHH !!!
Have finally finished all brain importing and got tables set up.
If I download another new version, must I go through it all again?
???

[V](moan..)

Make a backup of the file HalBrain.db before reinstalling.
Robert Medeksza

Duskrider

• Global Moderator
  • Graphic King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2005, 05:28:22 pm »

Made copy of HalBrain.db
Did the new download.
Did the uninstall
Did the new install
Switched the HalBrain.db

Checked tables - Perfect
Ran Hal - Perfect

Thank you Mark for your encouragement
Thank you Robert for idea of HalBrain.db backup.

Insert Image: