Author Topic: Advertises or What's the Reason for Hi I am a Bot  (Read 2514 times)

endeffects

• View Profile
Advertises or What's the Reason for Hi I am a Bot
« on: October 31, 2002, 06:44:30 am »

Hi Guys,

i've got the licensed Version
of the Ultra Hal Assistant 4.5 and want
to use it as a support unit for some
projects.

As i paid for it i thought all nag screens
will be removed, but as i started chatting
with my paid bot he told me:

quote:
You are talking with an Ultra Hal artificial intelligence bot running software created by www.zabaware.com  Check out our site to get your own AOL Instant Messenger Bot or to download our other artificial intelligence programs. Even though you are talking with a bot utilizing Zabaware's artificial intelligence engine, Zabaware is not responsible for instant messaging you or for anything the bot may say. The owner of this screenname is not Zabaware, Inc. but rather a customer of Zabaware. The owner of the screenname is responsible for the contents of this bot's brain and for initializing this conversation with you.

That's absolut nothink i spend my money for!
I don't want to advertise for Zabaware with a
licensed software!
Is there a way to remove it?
I tried it with a HexEditor but i didnt found
this nag message. If it's not possible to remove it,
i want my money back!

Regards
endeffects

Edited by - endeffects on 10/31/2002  07:45:49

Edited by - endeffects on 10/31/2002  07:46:42

Medeksza

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.zabaware.com
Advertises or What's the Reason for Hi I am a Bot
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2002, 08:29:00 pm »
The Ultra Hal AIM bot is mainly included in Ultra Hal Assistant just for fun, to show off your bot to your friends. Before Ultra Hal Assistant 4.5 the Ultra HAL AIM bot was offered as a plugin to Ultra Hal Assistant 4.0. In Ultra Hal Assistant 4.5 we decided to bundle it for convenience.

A couple years ago when we released version 1.0 of the AIM bot we did not include this message. A small group of people used the AIM bot to harass people. When asked Hal would sometimes provide Zabaware's address. People thought that Zabaware was going out and delibertly harrasing them. They did not understand that it was a customer of Zabaware, not Zabaware, that initiated the IM conversations. People would write and sometimes threaten Zabaware with litigation. In order to stop the confusion we have decided to put this message in version 2.0 of the AIM Bot. This is not a nag screen used to entice you to purchase Hal. It is there to explain that they are talking to a bot, the origin of the bot, and to explain who is in control of the particular bot.

A new version of our business version of Hal, Ultra Hal Representative, will be released in about a month. Ultra Hal Representative will include a more powerful version of the AIM Bot and the full version will not include this message.

Robert Medeksza
Robert Medeksza