dupa

Author Topic: Auto Respond Countown annoying  (Read 4973 times)

jeffp

• View Profile
Auto Respond Countown annoying
« on: February 07, 2009, 11:48:26 pm »
Hello, first let me say hello to everyone here and let you know that I am not one to normally complain and I will do my best to help others once I work with UHA more.

I purchased UHA just a few days ago and I am fairly impressed thus far.  However I have found a couple of things that bother.  First, for anyone running vista and a dual, tri, or quad core processor, you will find that IF the program loads at all it is VERY VERY slow and will probably lock up.  This can be fixed by setting the affinity of HalAsst.exe either in the task manager every time you load the program, or by using one of the many free programs available to set the affinity of a program when launching it.

Now, back on topic, I have found that when using the mic to talk with UHA it is VERY ANNOYING to have to wait for the "AUTO RESPOND in 5..4..3..2..1.." thing.  Please tell me this can be changed so that it is 1 second or maybe even 2  or better yet... NOT AT ALL!  I also use answerpad plus and I like the way the AI answers as soon as I am finished talking.  If this is an option then I can not find it which is always possible <grin>  but if it is not an option then it should be one in my opinion.  

Thanks

Jeff

One

• Technology Advocate
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2009, 12:52:20 am »
jeffp,
I need time to type too, I am slow at times..

Systems need processing time as well.

areyouafasttalker??[:o)]
« Last Edit: February 08, 2009, 12:54:38 am by One »
Today Is Yesterdays Future.

jeffp

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2009, 02:51:19 am »
I'm not very good at explaining what I mean some times.  The problem is that AFTER you are done speaking the count down kicks in... it should just process as soon as you are done talking.. I could understand a 1 second delay or even the ability to set a config for how long the delay is, but 5 seconds is WAY too long to wait after talking before the program even starts to process the input.

When you don't have VR on then it will wait until an enter key is pressed.. that is fine, so this does not change anything for those who type slowly.  But I am planning on adding this to my robot so that when customers come in the store they can talk with my robot... long story, and it will take time to get everything worked out, but I really need to be able to set a variable to lower that wait or turn it off.  Should be a fairly simple change if it is not already part of the program.

I am a C++ coder but I have not done any work for a few years... just been too busy with robots and life <smile>.

I hope there is a way to change this or that it can be coded in later, since if not then I guess I will have to start from scratch to do what I want for my robots.  I just hate to reinvent things and UHA looks like a very nice program with lots of future potential.

Jeff

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2009, 08:57:05 am »
I've been using Dragon with Hal for a long time, I'd found that the input would be pulled in to quickly, before I could add a second sentence or check for errors.  I ended up turning off the mic input in Hal and having dragon just type into the input and pressing enter after I checked the input.
  I was interested in the loading which you problems  mentioned since I'm planing on putting Hal v6.2 into a quad using vista.
Carl2

jeffp

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2009, 07:40:13 pm »
It's not really a load problem it is a run problem and it can be corrected by setting the affinity of the program to a single CPU.  I have been contacted by Robert and he has told me that he is aware of the issue and it should be corrected in version 6.3 to be released later this year along with an option to set the respond time so that those of us that want it to be instant can have it and those that want it to wait can have it wait.  I am impressed with how quickly Robert answered my question and appreciate all the work that has gone in to HAL.  Now I Just need to learn more QUICKLY so that I can figure out how to use all the msagent annimations for my character.  I know I need to use <MSAGENT>anim-name</MSAGENT> but I don't know where yet... hey.. I'm new to this.. give me time <grin>  I will share anything I create with everyone once I know what I am doing.

Jeff

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 08:44:46 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply, I have just downloaded version 6.2 but have not put this into the computer yet.  I remember quite some time ago I had downloaded quite a few MS agents thinking possibly I could use these with Hal.  I believe the agents must be downloaded to a specific location so they can be found, Windows,  MS agentcharacters.   When UltraHal is started choose the options and under character the names of the MS agents should appear.  Choose the MS agent you would like to use, this information  is from version 6.1 of UltraHal.
Carl 2

jeffp

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 02:38:11 am »
That is correct but to use the animations that most of the better msagents have you need to write a script.  I just don't know how to integrate that into Hal yet so that I can use my msagents fully.  Yes, they will smile and look around a bit but most agents have MUCH more ability than that.  For instance, in the program I used before (answerpad) you could make a text file with in and out animations... meaning that if the user typed something like "you look sad" then the bot would frown etc or "show me your bikini" and the agent would switch over to the bikin image of her if that agent had that animation  etc etc.  It was also nice since if during the conversation the bot said something on the "OUTGOING" list then it would trigger the animation associated with that.  I don't know if I am making much sense, but when I have time I will figure it out and let everyone know how I did it.  Dang life is getting in the way of my fun hehe

Jeff

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 08:24:07 am »
I installed Hal 6.2 and tried it last night in a quad running Vista.  Largest problem is it stops responding for a few seconds then continues ect.  I haven't been able to find a compatability program in Vista which thay had in XP. I'm unfamiliar with setting affinity.  The loading time is okay in this computer, the auto timer was a pain and continues with the mike off which causes problems because there is problems with typing in or speach rec inputs.
  I did a quick search for the MSagent editor which cane out a few years ago, what you said rang a bell.  The best source I came up with is:  www.microsoft.com/msagent/downloads/user.aspx  .
Carl2

Bill819

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 11:27:09 am »
This may or may not answer some of your questions about Hals response time. When inputing from the keyboard you hit 'enter' and Hal then knows you are through and will respond immediately, however, when using voice commands I think Hal waits for a couple of seconds to make sure you are through talking before it responds. There is not 'enter' button when you are talking.
Bill

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2009, 08:24:17 pm »
I just got done using Hal after finding the problems I was having was caused by using Haptek Hal, switched to merlin and the problem is gone.  I used Dragon with Hal's mike input off and the count down still ran and inputed the text. in the past I'd use the time to proofread the text then hit enter. I'd found if I'm quick I can hit enter to input the text.  Since I've never had a problem with Hal hearing himself I may try to edit this out.  I find this annoying when trying to add a statement or make a correction.

Carl2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2009, 08:48:58 am »
The problem with the automatic input from the microphone can be removed by using the general options and removing the check mark from the speech recognition.  I had mistakenly thought that turning the microphone off would stop the automatic input.
    I was able to find the MS agent editor, not sure if this is the same one you were speaking about.
 Carl 2